“Near perfect”

Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Australia
“Near perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

What a beautiful hotel, spacious, incredibly comfortable and welcoming.The mansion has been lovingly restored and is very well maintained (although I do note some issues mentioned by others). We had a huge room upstairs, with a superbly comfortable bed, nice bed linen and towels, flat screen television etc. Bathroom was on the smallish side with a shower over the bath, not much space to store things, but perfectly adequate. Our room was huge, very tastefully appointed although perhaps could have benefited from a bit of modernizing with a more contemporary twist in terms of the bed spread etc. But don't get me wrong, it is all still nice and the house otherwise does mix old and new in a stylish way. I did have the thought that the house would have been really special if it had some nice china in the rooms and at breakfast instead of the plain very white basic stuff they use but this is a small point. As people have written, the breakfast is pleasant enough, not inspired, but it is OK. The hotel is certainly not cheap, so something a little more creative would have been appreciated and taken the hotel from a lovely place to a terrific one.
I notice the comments about children, there were quite a few while we were there and they were treated nicely by the hosts. In fact, you wouldn't have known there were children in the house generally and although the place was fully booked, you wouldn't have known it, you hardly saw anyone else, it had a nice sense of ease and space about it.
The hosts were very welcoming and warm, nothing was too much trouble, and they made us feel at home. The hotel is in a fabulous position, so handy to everything and walking across the Botanic Gardens to Circular Quay was really nice, as was simply walking around the corner and going down the steps to Woolomoloo wharf.
All up, this is a very professional and well run, beautiful old hotel with lots of charm and interest, in a gold mine position. Who would want to stay at a hotel when you could stay herel!

Room Tip: All rooms that I had a peek at looked nice.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
simpsonshotel, Owner at Simpsons of Potts Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Always nice to hear compliments. We appreciate these guests taking the time to review us in detail, and are very pleased that they enjoyed their stay with us.

We will look at the china suggestion. The problem is regular breakages! Just this morning we had two broken glasses and one broken cup and one plate in the rooms !

We are proud of our lovely old house, quite unique in Sydney. It is not perfect, and may not suit everyone. Those who need 24-hour room service, in-house pool, gymnasium, state-of-the-art modernity, etc., are better suited to the large chain hotels.

However, for a comfortable stay, in "olde worlde" surroundings, with hosts who try to make your stay in Sydney as pleasant as possible, then "Simpsons" may suit you. Any minor criticisms with decor, or style, should not detract from your stay.

And we are sure that, like us, you will enjoy the eclectic Potts Point neighbourhood, and its proximity to most major tourist attractions. It has all the local conveniences, as well as an adundance of great cafes and restaurants and is a lovely walk into town along the harbour, and through the park.

Breakfast is always an issue it seems. We offer it with with our compliments (i.e. there is no charge for it, unlike many hotels). We do not have the facilities to prepare cooked breakfasts, but for those who need that, then there are four breakfast cafes within 100-metres of us. We do make that clear in all our correspondence.

We constantly try to vary our buffet, and have a healthy choice of various fruits, nuts, juices, breads, and cold collations that seem to suit most guests.

We are pleased that the great majority of guests who take the time to check us out in advance and know what to expect, seem to enjoy staying at "Simpsons" as much as we all enjoy working here.

Keith, Marie, Ree, Damien, Juana & Sandra.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2012

I was hesitating between 3 and 4 stars but as I did expect more based on the reviews here First the positives: Simpsons Hotel is a lovely property situated in a lovely part of Sydney. The rooms (bedrooms and the reading/drawing rooms downstairs) are overall very nice and spacious but the bathrooms do need updating--the handle on the faucet kept on falling, the bath tub has seen better days etc. The breakfast is really rather disappointing--no cooked options, cheap cereal, not a very good plunger coffee in a city/country that has a great coffee culture(luckily there are plenty of great cafes and delis nearby), and very small selection of fresh fruit in February, when Woolworths around the corner is full of wonderful and cheap fruit. Finally, while everyone seems to praise the personal touch, I wasn't too impressed with the warmth of the hotel manager Rhee. She was fine but really nothing above average. I do agree that this hotel is probably better suited for couples than for families with small children too.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank bu123
simpsonshotel, Owner at Simpsons of Potts Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Aah! These maintenance issues again ! I am really going to have to keep a closer eye ! That said, there are items that just cannot be improved upon, either due to the age or the style of the building, without spoiling its ambience and historic character.

Bathrooms are always a compromise when you try to fit fourteen of them into an existing building. As a consequence some are larger than others, but there is still limited space to instal large vanity benches, etc. That said, they do have, however, all the necessary conveniences, and are quite adequate, if not luxurious.....and our housekeeper keeps them spotless!

I was disappointed to hear the comments about the continental buffet breakfast we offer. This breakfast is complimentary, in other words we do not charge for it, contrary to most hotels. We make it very plain that there is no cooked (i.e. hot) food. There are three or four excellent cafes in our street, within just a couple of hundred metres, for anyone who needs hot food, or a more elaborate menu, or different taste in coffee.

Most people seem to enjoy our Italian ground coffee, however I realise that we all have different tastes. Many of our regular guests have coffee next-door at Fratelli's, which is also great for "people watching"!

For cereals we do provide standard cornflakes and sultana bran, but for our Swiss muesli mix we utilise an interesting combination and it does seem popular.

As will be seen from other reviews, our healthy breakfast also generally seems very popular, and usually we do have a good selection of fresh fruit (yes, from Woolworths !), as well as preserved choices, Marie's delicious home-made rhubarb compote, a very tasty Greek yoghurt, nuts, seeds, ham, boiled-eggs, cheese, salami, three fruit juices, and five different breads.

But again as I say, we do not have any hot choices in this complimentary buffet, but there are many nearby cafes that do.

Ree and I were very sorry to hear this Reviewers comments about her. She has a nice bubbly personality, and is anxious to help, and seems to get on with everyone. Maybe this guest did not have enough interaction with her, as I am sure that he would otherwise have found her warm and helpful and kind. But all of us can learn from constructive criticism, me especially!

We are glad that this guest liked our lovely old building, and the interesting and vibrant Potts Point neighbourhood. It certainly is a pleasant part of Sydney in which to live or visit.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

We were very happy with the location, there are shops and facilities nearby including bus stops with 200 yards and a 15 minute stroll to Kings Cross metro station. It is also easy to walk to the Opera House /Circular Quay in about half an hour via the Botanic Gardens.
The hotel is comfortable, with personal attention from the owners. Beautiful sitting room and library. Breakfast is simple but good quality and more than adequate, though no cooked option.
The great thing about Simpsons is the trouble taken by owner Keith to give detailed advice to all his guests about planning and organising their stay. In our case we had some really useful tips and advice for our campervan trip to Melbourne, which made a big difference, we would have missed out if Keith hadn't taken such a personal interest.

Room Tip: There is no lift, and not necessarily anyone to help with bags, so avoid upstairs rooms if you might...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
simpsonshotel, Owner at Simpsons of Potts Point Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Thankyou for this considered Review.

Yes, we think that this is a very pleasant to stay, if you do not need to be right in the City, for any particular reason. The Opera House is only thirty-minute stroll, and it is a wonderful walk along the edge of the Harbour, and through the Royal Botanic gardens. Marie and I try to do it several times a week for our exercise !!

Ree, Marie and I do enjoy helping guests plan their time here to see the best that Sydney has to offer. It really is a beautiful city, especially the inner City and the East, with those with views over the Harbour, and out to the Ocean.

In relation to our complimentary breakfast, we are pleased that most guests do enjoy it. We are not able to offer a cooked option, but for those that need the "bacon and eggs" style, there are several excellent "people-watching" cafes within a few minutes walk. Our buffet offers a good choice of fresh and preserved fruits (including Marie's popular home-made rhubarb and apple compote!), yoghurt, nuts, juices, various breads, crumpets, etc., as well as ham, boiled eggs, cheese and the like. A healthy start to the day!.
North Lincs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

We booked Simpsons from the UK having read reviews on TA. We have used this site for a number of years now, & again we have not been disapointed. A nice walk into the city via the botanical gardens, we loved our stay! Keith gave us some top tips where to go as our stay was only for two nights, we really feel we got a good taste of the city and he sent us to a couple of places we wouldn't have found without his help. He also recommended local resturants and the one we chose (Anong) was quiet but great food. Thank you for looking after us.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
simpsonshotel, Owner at Simpsons of Potts Point Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thankyou for your kind Review.

Yes, we do enjoy guiding our guests to places that they might otherwise not get to see.

After all, this is "our town", so it is fun for us to share its delights with others. Potts Point is so convenient, and an interesting and eclectic neighbourhood, yet only a short stroll to the City.

Glad that we were able to make your stay enjoyable.

Keith and the gang at "Simpsons" !
Rolling Hills Estates, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2012

Rhee's response to my wife's (mariakaz) criticism sums it all up for me. I had concerns about how family friendly this hotel would be with 2 small children...who, by the way, are exceptionally well travelled. I emailed in advance with Simpsons, and I was reassured by them. I could have booked anywhere for those nights, and I chose them based on tripadvisor and their reassurance. My 6 year old going "berserk" was a simple, isolated tantrum in otherwise good behavior. HE IS 6 AND TANTRUMS HAPPEN! If you are not able to deal with it professionally, then do a favor for families like us and suggest they book elsewhere when they contact you in advance...don't blow us off and make us feel less welcome after we arrive. I would have appreciated and taken the honest advice. I expected better from your emails and Tripadvisor.

As for the maintenance issues...we were only there for 2 nights. The toilet problem occurred on our second and last night and has nothing to do with old plumbing...it simply needs a $10 repair of the valve...I do my own plumbing and looked in the tank myself. As for the shower...there is no such thing as a "kind of shower that doesn't leak." The shower has a glass enclosure that needs to be re-caulked where it meets the floor tile...a $5 repair. The unexpected puddle on the bathroom floor made my wife slip and almost fall...I mentioned it to them as a courtesy on our last morning...the way Rhee blows this off in her reply reflects the same attitude we experienced.

All that said...the hotel is an amazing building in a great setting for adults. It has clearly been painstakingly restored, it just needs some routine maintenance. For the most part, I greatly enjoyed my time there and would recommend it highly to couples...but not for families with small children.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ClayKaz
I am sorry that these guests felt the need to write another Review, and even more that they felt that somehow we had mislead them in any way.

We advise guests that we do not have any child-specific areas, like playrooms, swimming pool, etc., nor baby-sitting services. You would need a chain hotel (Hilton, Sheraton, etc.) to get those facilities.

However, there is a nice, safe park 50-metres down the road, with spectacular views of the city and harbour, where one can take children if one wanted, and also the walk through the Botanic Gardens is just beautiful, with lots of birds, ducks, flying-foxes, parrots, etc. for them to see.

We certainly welcome well behaved "hotel-trained" children and we do promise all our guests a quiet and relaxing stay. Just because children may be well travelled, does not necessarilly make them well behaved.

In the event that a child does have a tantrum which, having had six daughters and seven granchidren, I agree does happen, to me it would seem appropriate that the parents take him or her out of the breakfast room. We certainly did not intend to make these guests feel less welcome, children or not.

In relation to the maintenance question, there is always maintenance in a building 120 years old. We do try to keep on top of it, but sometimes we run behind ! I have personally checked the toilet cistern and it presently seems fine, but if it does run again we will fix it. I am still mystified about the shower leakage, as neither I nor the housekeeper can get it to leak, but I appreciate this guest bringing it to my attention and I will certainly keep an eye on it, as one of my own pet irritations is badly designed/installed hotel showers that leak over the floor, not to mention the safety aspects.

I am glad that these guests otherwise enjoyed our lovely old building and their stay, and we appreciate their recommendation.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at Simpsons in April of last year. We spent a week at Simpsons and then spent a week at a luxury hotel in the heart of Sydney. We adored our stay at Simpsons. My daughter was spending 6 months in Australia and I traveled to spend a few weeks with her. After our week at Simpsons we were sad to leave. Our "luxury hotel" was expensive and comfortable and slightly more centrally located but we sadly missed our adorable, comfortable , clean room at Simpsons. The staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was healthy, delicious and an unbelievable bargain for Sydney prices. I felt so connected to Australia while at the Simpsons Hotel. Every day I walked in the Botanical Gardens. The difference in the hotels was a interesting experience but I definately perferred my stay at Simpsons.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor. Clean, beautiful, comfortable. We had a great deal of baggage and...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
It was good to see a Review from a happy guest after the last couple of less happy ones. It was kind of them to go to the trouble of writing. It does make all the difference, and hopefully adds balance to all the Reviews.

All of us here do try our best to ensure that all our guests, and especially those first time or infrequent visitors to Sydney, have a great time in this wonderful city. Both Ree and I enjoy passing on our knowledge of the city, and some of its lesser known attractions, to our guests so that hopefully they will leave having had a rewarding and enjoyable visit.

Potts Point is a very pleasant neighbourhood, conveniently located to most major attractions. It has lots of great little cafes and restaurants, and interesting shops and boutiques, as well as all the needed services.

Our dear old 1892 house is much loved, and has great memories for us and many of our guests. We do try to keep up the maintenance, but there is always something that needs doing or which we may not yet have got around to. Whilst "Simpsons" is far from a modern hotel, and does not have all the features of a large chain hotel, it does have all the facilities that are needed to give a comfortable stay. And our enthusiastic house-keeping team ensure that everything is kept spotless !
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

We called ahead and confirmed that it would be ok to bring children there. After reading the great reviews, we decided to book 2 nights there. It's nicely restored, but the shower had a leak and the toilet kept running. We felt uncomfortable having our kids there on the second day during breakfast. I was disappointed. For the amount of money spent I would have liked a warmer reception.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank mariakaz
simpsonshotel, Owner at Simpsons of Potts Point Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2012
We do recall this nice couple from California. I had quite a discussion with them concerning Southern California, where we go quite often, and knew their area well.

As we always say, we do welcome "hotel trained" children. On the first day, their children were fine, but on the second day their 6-year old son, for whatever reason, seemed to go berserk, kicking the table, refusing to sit with his 3-year old sister and mother, and generally being obnoxious, so that his father had to sit at another table with him. I am sorry that they felt uncomfortable, but not surprised, as I am sure that our other guests would not have approved.

As I said, we do welcome well behaved children, but parents do have a responsibilty in adult surroundings to ensure that their chldren do not disturb others.

These guests did not mention the toilet or shower to us whilst they were here. I am mystified about the shower, as it is not of the style that can leak, unless the door is left open. The old toilet cisterns do occasionally stick, and just need a"jiggle" on the button to rectify. One of the many problems of maintaining an old building!