“Rushcutters could have been better!”

Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney
Ranked #79 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Scotland
“Rushcutters could have been better!”
Reviewed January 15, 2009

We stayed at the Rushcutters from 22/12/09 - 28/12/09. It was clean with a good standard of housekeeping. Excellent location for the Sydney Yacht Club. On several nights of our stay we didn't have access to the bar or restaurant as there were private functions being held in both. I have never been in a hotel where the bar & restaurant have been closed to residents. I used the gym on several occasions and would say that the equipment was in need of servicing/replacement and some pieces were decidedly dangerous. The level of cleanliness in the gym and at the pool side was not good. The area opened at 7am but was not cleaned until well after 8am and towels were not available until much later in the morning. There didn't appear to any further visits by staff during the day.

The service provided by the reception staff very much depended on who was on duty. Very often they were surly and not particularly helpful.

• Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
SM_McKinnon, Sean McKinnon Executive Assistant Manager at Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney, responded to this review, March 17, 2009
Thank you for your honest and helpful feedback. As a direct result of your comments we have reviewed our public areas roster during the summer months to include better coverage in the Gym & Pool deck areas. We have also serviced our gym equipment and purchased replacements for missing items.

We pride ourselves on customer service and I am grateful for your comments. I hope that you will consider using us again when you are next in the country.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Sydney
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We stayed here mainly because of the price and the location. For budget accommodation this is a great find. We have paid more to say in a pub in the city before.

The bed was comfy and we had a nice view looking at the park and the CYC. My only complaint was there was a faint smell of smoke even though we had a smoke free room someone had obviously smoked in it and the smell wasn't quite out of there.

There was a great cafe at the corner for breakfast in the morning. This was cheaper than getting taxis all night!

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Smell of smoke
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for your feedback. Many of our guests are pleasantly surprised by the price of our hotel rooms given its fantastic location and our modern facilities. We work hard to provide a quality hotel experience at the best possible price. I appreciate your comments and hope we see you back at the hotel soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2009

We booked the hotel a few days before New Years and compared to the other options, it was reasonably priced. We got a king room for $310 on New Years Eve while the rest of Sydney was charging $500 and up. The hotel was surprisingly really nice. Modern decor and clean. It is quite a walk from Kings cross train station but at least it was all downhill and they offer an airport shuttle for $12.
My only complaint about the hotel was room service. We ordered in on New Years Eve but after waiting over 1.5 hours it never showed up, we cancelled it without getting too much of an apology. The other 2 times we ordered room service, it came within an hour.
The hotel pool is nice and it is on the rooftop so it has a descent view. The pool area could use more loungers as there were not enough for all the guest.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — room service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank aduf
Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by our product and happy with the value for money. I hope that you mentioned the room service incident upon checkout so that one of our Duty Managers could assist you and investigate the matter. NYE is a great time at our hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back again this year.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I actually spent a day at this hotel , visiting my ex-husband when he was in town...I cannot believe people who reviewed this hotel expected so much! The price for most nights is average $165 and it is , after all, a 3.5 star hotel! given that Sydney is not that cheap (to stay in or near the city centre) I am not sure why people would expect so much. It used to be a TRAVELODGE for goodness sake! Travelodge = AVERAGE in my extensive travel experience of the world.
Why anybody coming to Sydney would particularly want to stay in this area I dont know, I wouldnt .... but then I am a local Sydneysider...
Look there are lots of alternatives to staying next to what locals know as "drug park " i.e. Rushcutters Bay Park. This park is known by locals to be full of syringes from addicts hitting up after wandering down from "drug & hooker central" (Kings Cross) which is a mere 5 minute walk from this hotel.
Yes, it's not far to get to the city centre, Opera House, shops, QVB etc but if you research a bit more and be realistic about what price buys you in hotels then disappointed you won't be next time... when you DONT book VIBE Hotel Rushcutters Bay. I would never recommend this hotel to out of town clients or friends of mine. My ex-husband was only staying at this hotel as his (Mean) company put him up there on business. He wouldnt have chosen it himself in a fit!
There are so many great places to stay in Sydney... if you went up the road to Woollahra, a much nicer suburb and looked at The Hughenden Hotel (boutique hotel) for a similar price as VIBE then you would have a much better experience!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank LagunaMandy
SM_McKinnon, Sean McKinnon Executive Assistant Manager at Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney, responded to this review, March 19, 2009
Thank you for staying with us at the Vibe. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Many of our guests deem the hotels location to be one of the best in Sydney and I tend to agree, I hope that any future visitors to Sydney will come and see for themselves.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend as we attended the annual CLEO swimsuit launch party.
It was very easy to find and were booked with a king size bed.
Upon arriving, reception seemed dull and not very happy to be at work. But were ok to us.
Our room was on the 1st floor and upon opening the door could smell cigarette smoke coming from the airconditioning vents.
I was also woken up in the middle of the night as the smell was YUK!
Upon opening our blinds to see the view outside... all we saw was AWFUL rubbish and the drain...
Our 'king' size bed, was actually 2 single beds joined together. We found this out by the zipper sticking into my boyfriends back. But to our surprise, the beds were comfy, which i was very relieved.
We ordered room service. That was actually nice. I had a caesar salad which was good. The price for that was ok too.
Bathroom was ok. a few marks, but at least it was a toilet and shower, which was all we needed.
Ckeck out was quick and easy and car was parked in a secure park under the hotel. But beware, It SMELLS of the drain next to the hotel.
I wouldnt stay here again, but at least we could sleep somewhere for the night, that wasnt in the middle of the city.

• Liked — good size mirrors ( full view), so you can see yourself before you go out.
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
india
Reviewed July 6, 2008

gr8hotel, decent price, nice locality, friendly staff, i would rate 5 stars for the housekeeping department, because their service is the best .
clean rooms, friendly staff, all n all good hospitality

• Liked — housekeping
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
Bermuda
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Stayed here and was thoroughly dissapointed. Staff were rude, marks all over the walls, very cheap furniture and flimsy beds. The pool up top is nice, but it wasn't heated as it was supposed to be. Don't be fooled by your "view of the park" room, my "park view' also included a view of bayswater road.. this place is trying to be like a W but has a long way to go. Plus it's out of the way from everything. Book a B&B in Potts Point instead.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank KlutzyGirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Central Business District
#68 of 175 in Sydney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,910 reviews
Surry Hills
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills

Been to Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney? Share your experiences!