“Positives and negatives”

Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney
Ranked #70 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Okay, let's start with the negatives first...
1. Yes, you have to pay to use wifi/internet. It shouldn't be the case in this day and age.
2. Yes, the rooms aren't particularly well soundproofed, so you can hear conversations in the next room and in any room nearby in your corridor which has the door open.
3. Yes, my white bath towel was super-fluffy, but so fluffy that I ended up with white pilling all over the place - on my clothes, in my hair... I became a human lamington.
4. And yes, while the hotel isn't far from the city as the crow flies, there are steep gradients towards either Kings Cross (to the west) or Edgecliff (to the east), meaning that if you're walking, your calves are going to get a good work out whichever direction you head. What goes up, must come down, however, and the walk back to the hotel from either direction is a cinch.
On the positive side of the spectrum...
1. The staff were efficient.
2. The room was clean. I booked a Junior Suite (which was essentially two rectangular rooms back to back, with a dividing door between. One half houses the bed, the other the lounge. It's a little awkward, but the upside of this was I had two bathrooms to choose from).
3. The king-size bed was firm-ish and had three pillows, one of which was like sleeping on a cloud.
4. I was in town on a very busy weekend and whereas other hotels in the vicinity had all raised their prices to capitalise, Vibe's remained at the same level, so big tick there.

Vibe is located virtually halfway between Kings Cross and Edgecliff train stations. There's a convenience store just a couple of doors down. A friend had suggested that the nearby Bay 88 Cafe for great coffee. I wasn't disappointed.

So for a better 'Vibe' experience at Rushcutters Bay, take your wireless dongle and your earplugs and you'll enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank DMelb
Kristina D, Manager at Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear DMelb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about Vibe Rushcutters. I will be sure to share your comments with the team here as well as our neighbours Bay88.

I urge you to contact me directly at the hotel on (02) 8353 8988 so that we can discuss your disappointments and I will be more than happy to assist you by updating your profile for a quiet room request, Vibe Rushcutters is the perfect setting for peace and quiet with our lovely park setting.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Vibe Rushcutters.

Kristina Dundovic

Write a ReviewReviews (2,262)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

i dont like hotels where you have the feeling that you have to pay for everything extra ...

internet? 25 dollars ... and not working properly. late check out until 2 pm? 50 dollars. parking? 25 dollars ... good news: tap water - free.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Kristina D, Manager at Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear schamoni,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay, we appreciate it and value all feedback. Our room rates are highly competitive so when coming to services that not all guests use, we provide a service fee that is in line with the market. If you did encounter internet issues during your stay, please contact me directly on (02) 8353 8988 so that we can discuss, I am more than happy to assist you.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

Arrived after an overnight flight, really tired. Greeted by bright and cheery staff who made us immediatley feel welcome. We had requested an early check in and we only had to wait 40 minutes and we had our room. the room was lovely, bright, clean and modern. Close to Kings Cross station and next to Park. Staff were very helpful and the most cheerful we encountered on our trip around Australa.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear sawyr,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay. We pride ourselves on friendly customer service with a smile so it is great to hear about your experience.

I will be sure to share your kind words with the whole team at Vibe Rushcutters and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We found this motel on tripadvisor and would stay there again without issue.
The service was exceptional, the rooms very nice and the breakfast was great.
The motel is located a very pleasant walk from alot of lovely attractions.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Kristina D, Manager at Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear fsc1975,

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience on Tripadvisor and I am pleased to read that you found our team to be helpful. I have shared your comments with the team here as we strive for excellence in our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Vibe Rushcutters.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Disappointment moved to annoyance during our recent stay at the Vibe Hotel Rushcutters.

Our friends had organized several rooms for interstate guests who had come to Sydney to attend their wedding and dinner that was to be held at the hotel.

We booked months in advance only to be met with reservation clerk that couldn’t seem to organize our check in. Check in was around 2.00 pm and we arrived just after 4.00 pm and we were keen to get to our room to change as the wedding ceremony was scheduled to start at 5.00 in the gardens.

We were told that our room wasn’t ready as the last guest had only just vacated it, even though check out was 11.00 am. The implication was that they couldn’t do anything about that as the last guest was late leaving and somehow it wasn’t their responsibility. We would just have to wait until the room was ready in an anticipated 45 minutes time.

I asked for the Duty Manager who was Kirsty. I have to say that after hearing our concerns and having only a couple of goes at dodging her responsibility and blaming the horrid man who left late she agreed to give us access to a room where we could shower and change. OK, annoyed but we move forward.

After the ceremony, I went back to reception, was given the key to the new room and we had clearly been upgraded. It took the edge off my annoyance as I repacked our bags and moved them to the new room. Oh, by the way, it would be good to remove the nasty brown stain on the bathroom tiles in that first room.

The real annoyance came after we checked out a couple of days later. All accounts presented and paid. Imagine my surprise when checking my email after landing back home that there was an additional account for some $60 dollars to cover Room Service items. We didn’t use these items and in fact they referred to products that we hadn’t even noticed in the room.

We called to straighten out the matter and could only get traction when we asked for the Duty Manager who was named Daniel. The attitude was astounding. The response was plainly nothing more than “I will investigate”. I understand that this must happen but surely this isn’t a reasonable way to deal with guests who had just stayed with you and were known to be part of a group of 200 guests celebrating in your hotel. We asked repeatedly to be called back so we could have our concerns allayed.

Daniel promised to investigate and call us back on that day. It is now over a week and no phone call. I have called the credit card company and challenged the charge as the hotel simply didn’t communicate.

We haven’t heard a thing and have been left with the view that the Vibe at a minimum has no idea what constitutes reasonable customer service (or room maintenance) but more importantly clearly doesn’t care about its customers.

No wonder that at the time of writing your Trip Adviser “Traveler Rating” for the responses of average, poor and terrible makes up nearly 60% of your reviews.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jessica B, Manager at Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Ronny625

I am very sorry to read that your stay with us was not as it should have been, I would like to ask that you contact me personally at the hotel so we can discuss your stay in more detail. We have a fantastic team and we pride ourselves on service recovery. We strive to continue to improve our guest service which is assisted through feedback from our guests.

We sincerely hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel so that you can experience what we are truly capable of again.

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Rooms overlooking the park are the best. Roomy enough for the two of us. Breakfast not overly fancy but plentiful. Reception staff always helpful. Suits us with the park and easy access to train (Edgecliff station). Rooftop pool and gym great - lovely views over the park and towards Sydney. On a busy road but would never know it inside the hotel. Love to visit the nearby Cruising Yacht Club of Australia for a drink and to watch the sun go down.

Dear Annette S

Dear Greg B

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience on Tripadvisor and I am pleased to read that you found our team to be helpful. I have shared your comments with the team this morning.

I hope your nice impression will bring you back to Vibe Hotel Rushcutters on your next stay in Sydney!

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Staying here for business, location is great, service is OK. Really you get what you pay for and at less than $150 a night in Sydney. Its value for money, better than an IBIS but its not a Hilton.

Would I stay here again, the answer is YES!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nathan_Hill

Thank you for you comments on your recent stay at Vibe Hotel Rushcutters.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor and I am pleased that your enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel sometime soon.