“Very good hotel but a bit of a trek”

Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney
Ranked #78 of 176 Hotels in Sydney
New York City, New York
“Very good hotel but a bit of a trek”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

We stayed here for four nights because this hotel is relatively affordable and was a four star hotel. The other hotels in Sydney during this time was pretty expensive. We took the train at Kings Cross Station every day to visit the sites in and around Syndey. It's a few blocks but can feel like a trek since you walk around Sydney so much. It's a city that you have to walk around to see the sights. Our room was nice and it was not noisy. The park behind the hotel has a lot of joggers and the area feels pretty safe. It's just the block at King's Cross Station that is a bit seedy (redlight district) but you do not feel endangered in any way as there's always plenty of people b/c of the restaurants in the area. Overall, if you're looking to stay at a place that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and want a nice hotel - i would recommend it. If you're looking for convenience to walk everywhere from here - I'd say look for an area to stay by the harbour.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Swoodbury, Manager at Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Dear wlslb,

It's always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team.

Thank you again for sharing your stay at the Vibe Hotel Rushcutters.

Vibe Hotel Rushcutters

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Polish first
Auckland
Reviewed June 25, 2011

This would have to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The cleaniness was non existent, mould growing on the shower curtain, cups still had coffee in them from the last guest, window was so dirty it was hard to view outside, carpet was covered in filth and bits of hair etc.

Breakfast was due to be served at 630, but no staff turned up until 0707 when I started serving myself. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I'm sure yu can find better.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank NZL_Carl
Dear guesswho1,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent stay at the Vibe Hotel Rushcutters.

I was most concerned to read the numerous issues you experienced during your stay and that this had been the worst hotel that you had ever stayed at, I have followed up regarding the statement that there were no food and beverage team members in Curve a restaurant until 07:07am on the morning that you had breakfast, I have found that it is incorrect as a food and beverage team member will start there shift at 06:00am to set up for the breakfast buffet, The Breakfast offered at the Vibe Hotel Rushcutters is a self serve buffet breakfast. It makes it hard for us to follow up and contact you directly in relation to this feedback. I strongly encourage you to contact myself on 02 8353 8988 so that we can discuss your stay in further detail with you

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I had a Scoopon deal $120 night with a bottle of wine and breakfast. The wine wasn't handed over when I checked in. I assumed the bottle in the room was it. Luckily I checked first at reception and it was handed over. A guest could be slugged $25 if they opened the wine in the room because it wasn't given to them at reception.
I assume reception staff keep it if the guest doesn't ask.

Reception didn't tell me where the restaurant or any of the other features the hotel had so I can't comment on them, not knowing where they were.

The room was very nice and fairly roomy. Nice location next to the park and handy to the airport. A shuttle bus can be arranged at reception for $15.
GRIPES - even though you pay your credit card details must be handed over when booking and at reception when you check in
- due to lack of soundproofing the rooms are too noisy to sleep, traffic noise keeps waking you through the night. I asked for a quiet room, It certainly wasn't that!
- when a room door is open the lock beeps, that continually wakes you through the night. There seems to be no soundproofing in the halls so guests coming and going greatly disturb guests trying to sleep.
- reception said breakfast was served at 6am. At 6.10 I was told to take a seat and wait. The food was out and when I said I had a plane to catch I was allowed access to the breakfast.
- the breakfast was cold, the bain-marie's were not turned up hot enough. I wonder about the health implications of this. There was a great choice of breakfast, even a machine that makes pancakes, pity it was ruined by most of it being cold.
- three plates I picked up were dirty. You could feel crud sticking to them. The top plate had crumbs on it so I picked underneath, all plates were dirty.
- there was black floaties in the orange juice.

The restaurant was nice with views to the park and it was lovely in the evening seeing the walkers in the park. I felt quite safe during the day but wonder how safe it would be at night.
A feedback form from the room was sent to the company and no response was received about my review.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Dear Jean C Bund,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on trip advisor following your stay at the Vibe Hotel Rushcutters. We very much appreciate your feedback as it allows us the opportunity to continually review and improve our service and facilities.

I was most concerned to read the numerous issues you experienced during your stay, in particular the service experienced at breakfast. The operating hours of Curve a Restaurant is 06:30 am – 10:00am Monday – Friday and 07:00am – 10:30am Saturday & Sunday. The problems you mentioned in your review are a poor reflection on the high quality of service we normally pride ourselves on. Rest assured I have discussed these shortcomings at length with all the relevant Department Heads in order to avoid such occurrences in the future.

Cairns, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2011

The staff were very professional and friendly, love the location surrounded by rushcutters park. Room was very clean and spacious. Even though the restaurant at breakfast was very busy, the host ( i think his name was Dan) was super friendly and helpful and was able to get me a table promptly.

Would defiantly stay again when in Sydney!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Dear Miricle,
I was pleased to read your comments regarding Dan from Curve a Restaurant. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback about our Team who have exceeded our guest’s expectation. I have forwarded your comments onto Dan.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Stayed at the Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay first week June for 2 nights. Managed to get a "Special" room, breakfast and car parking and for the price paid, considered this value for money. If I had to pay for breakfast and parking, then in my opion there are better options.

If arriving by car from Sydney city and travelling through the William Street tunnel, you have an immediate and dangerous situation in having to drive across three lanes of traffic on your left to get to the hotel entrance and car park, miss this entrance and you have quite a trip before being able to do a U turn and return. I found it better to stay on my right out of the tunnel, turn right, right again and right again and cross the busy road with the aid of traffic lights into the hotel entrance.

Check in was quick and painless, but on presenting my credit card was advised there was a credit card surcharge. Having been involved in the hotel industry for many years I am well aware hotel managements around the world include credit cards fees in their costs and overheads and this surchage is just a blatent grab for extra turnover.

My room was X01, clean, with expected amenities, good size bed and more than satisfactory, however room (s) ending in 01 abut the lift well and once the TV is turned off and trying to sleep you can hear the steady whine of a lift moving up and down the lift shaft. It is not overly loud, but loud enought to encroach on sleeping.

Corridor noise is loud however and other guests seem to enjoy making noise as they head to their room, slamming doors as they go.

Buffet breakfast was good both mornings, ample hot and cold choices, pleasant suroundings, morning paper available at front counter (no cost).

Parking under the hotel, press the buzzer and you are let in.

Check out, oh so slow, just one staff person at the counter at 8am dealing with a picky customer checking every detail on their account, took about 15 minutes, surley at this time of day, must be peak check out time, more staff could be allocated.

Staff very friendly and eager to assist.

Conclusion: Nice hotel, not very convieniant to Sydney city and not close to anything. Kings Cross is a steep up hill walk taking about 15 minutes. Taking the car has the problems of finding car parking space or paying high parking fees, or a taxi, with the high costs associated with them. A good value package deal may make this hotel worth while, but if having to pay for extras ( breakfast and parking) there are perhaps better options.

And avoid a room ending in 01, there may be other rooms around the lift well, so ask for a room away from the lifts for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to lift wells. Get a package
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Although Vibe Rushcutters Bay is not readily accessible by public transport the accommodation makes up for this. Staff are attentive and helpful, rooms are nicely decorated, very clean and bathroom is modern. Bed let things down for me being rather basic, thin and hard. Parking is in typical Sydney style, not cheap but easy to access rooms from. I got a great deal through Wotif so overall my stay at Vibe Rushcutters was excellent.

• Stayed May 2011
Swoodbury, Manager at Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Dear bluemountainkiwi,

Thank you for your review on Vibe Hotel Rushcutters, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Kind regards

Sydney
Reviewed May 13, 2011

If you get a cheap rate as I did, why not. Just over $100 a night for a large room with a deep bathtub, oversized bathroom, rubbish cable, and decent bed. Oh, and a view over a busy road. This isnt the place for a relaxing, luxurious or romantic evening! But it serves its purpose as an average clean hotel.

The minibar is basic, with a small cadbury chocolate bar available for $7.50! I didnt want it, but it did serve as a source of amusement. Room service is avail 24 hours. Cable TV consists of a couple of news and sport channels. I have more channels at home! Staff were all friendly and courteous, I exchanged some jokes with Queenie upon checkin. I was awoken early each morning - by the loud air conditioning and on two occasions, and the mobile phone alarm vibrating on the bedside table in the room next door also. So sleep quality was definately not great.

Given the large number of decent hotels in the area, I would probably choose a hotel up the hill next time to save the hike in the morning. But it was good value for the price I paid, for sure

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Brocko25,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Vibe Hotel Rushcutters.

I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our team as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Vibe Hotel Rushcutters
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Central Business District
#70 of 176 in Sydney
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,926 reviews
Surry Hills
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Surry Hills
Adina Apartment Hotel Norwest
#1 of 2 in Baulkham Hills

Been to Vibe Hotel Rushcutters Bay Sydney? Share your experiences!