“You get what you pay for I guess.”

Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Central
Ranked #86 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Don't let my title put you off completely! It is clean, the staff were great and it is a pretty sweet location if you want to walk around and take the city in.

We had one night in Sydney and I was looking for a budget option, which is pretty darn hard to find in Sydney Central. I found a standard room on sale on Wotif but I feel that the sale rate is almost too much as well. Like I said the hotel is clean and all, but everything is a little dated and a little tired. But since we only spent one night, that doesn't really matter. The air-conditioning worked and the shower was warm and that is all that matters in the end.

Right across the road is a gorgeous Japanese fusion restaurant called Musashi! OMW! Any disappointment I had with the hotel was made up by the beautiful food and staff of Musashi. So worth a visit!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Stefanos V, Front Office Manager at Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear CHDJ,

Thank you for your recent stay and feedback left. We are excited to learn that you have overall enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you were satisfied by the service of our friendly staff members.

Following our customer feedback, over the past year, our property had a full refurbishment in all our hotel rooms and pull area. A final stage of the refurbishment will have all the remaining public areas updated as well.

It is true that the hotel location is great for all those visiting Sydney for leisure or business purposes. We are only minutes away from most Sydney attractions.

We always try to offer great rates to our guests compared to the competition in the accommodation market. Although accommodation in Sydney can be really expensive and our rates follow the general market trends, we always try to keep our rates at the lower end of the market to supply a better value for money option.

I hope that this reply has assisted you with your concerns. We are looking forward to your next visit in our property.

I hope that

There are newer reviews for Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Central

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We were here for transit and arrived for check in around 10pm on 3rd October. Upon arrival, there were two receptionist, when they asked for the booking name, they haven't looked it up thoroughly in the system but one of them already said to us "Are you sure it's this Metro Hotel? Not Pitt Metro?" with the most sour face and unfriendliest tone ever. They finally found our booking name, and gave us keys to Rm714. So up we went to our room. Once we opened the door, we noticed there is already a card in the electricity slot and to our horror there is actually someone sleeping in the room!! We're lucky they were sleeping, and not f******, if not it'll be veeerrryyy awkward. So we went down to see the unfriendly receptionist again, told them about Rm714, and they said they mistakenly gave us the key, it should be Rm716. With minimal apologies I must add. The room was average, the doors of the closet can't be slide, others were okay. One positive note, the pillows and blankets are so fluffy and comfy, I wished I could sleep in longer!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mr and Mrs FA F
Stefanos V, Front Office Manager at Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Queen290,

Thank you for taking some time to leave feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that you have overall enjoyed the hotel location and room facilities during your stay.

I will make sure to investigate the incident that you mention during your check in and identify what went wrong. I will also pass your feedback to the staff members on duty in order to help them improve their response if future incidents arise.

We are always trying to offer a great value for money accommodation with a friendly service and it is unfortunate that this was not achieved in your stay. We wish that you will chose to stay in our hotel again in the future in order to get a better experience and understanding of our property.

I hope that this email has addressed your concerns. For all further feedback, feel free to contact me.

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Best overall accommodations for business and touring people alike! Fantastic location, walking distance to Central Bus and Train stations, lots of Restaurants, Shopping, Touring sites and services all within walking distance.
Hotel and rooms are clean and runs efficiently and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: September 2013
Thank G. H

Dear GHDias18,

Thank you for your recent stay in Metro Hotel Sydney Central and for taking some time to leave your invaluable feedback.

We are excited that you have overall enjoyed your stay with us. We are always trying to offer a great value for money accommodation with a friendly service. It is true that our hotel location is excellent for business and leisure travelers alike as we are within easy reach of most Sydney attractions and just a short walk away to most corporate offices of the CBD.

We hope to see you again during your future visit in Sydney.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We stayed at this hotel because we wanted an affordable and central accommodation for our stay in Sydney. The location was very good but in china town, which didn't bother us but maybe it does others. I wanted to book the room over booking.com but my credit card had some problems so I simply called. When I asked for the same price as they offer on booking I was told that they could only give the exact same room for 110 per night instead of 80 or so. After convincing the receptionist that the price was made by their hotel and not booking.com (which took me about 5-10')I was finally able to book it. The room was nice and spacious. Unfortunately they don't have free wifi. It was not bad but not very good

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wesasosa
Stefanos V, Front Office Manager at Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Wesasosa,

Thank you for your feedback and recent stay in our hotel. It is great to see that you have had an overall enjoyable stay. It is true that our hotel is in a great location in Sydney close to all major attractions and only a short walk to public transport.

We always try to offer a great value for money accommodation in Sydney CBD and our rates reflect the general demand in the market. Although, in most cases, we are able and happy to match online rates over the phone, there might be cases where this is not possible due to restrictions in room availability.

In any case, if you find a rate that you are interested online, feel free to contact our friendly reservation team. They will be able to assist you book or offer you alternatives in case that your first preference is not available.

I hope that this email has addressed your concerns, for anything further you might need please contact me.

We are looking forward to your next visit in our hotel.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I've stayed here a few times amps it is directly opposite the Capitol Theatre and easy walking distance to all of Sydney' attractions . M last stay this week saw me placed in an interconnecting room and I could hear everything next door. I call downstairs annd I was moved to another room which was lovely and quiet. Rooms are good, comfy beds and everything you need including fridge and coffee making facilities. Definitely recommend

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank kerrybigbuzz

Dear kerrybigbuzz,

Thank you for staying with us again, and for taking time to leave your feedback.

We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay and service provided to you. We are always keen to help our guests make the most out of their time in Sydney.

With our great location and recently refurbished rooms we are able to provide a great value for money destination in Sydney.

We a are looking forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have recently stayed at the Metro on a business trip and we were very disappointed, we found the staff to be apathetic and unhelpful. One staff member actually rolled her eyes when asked for a copy of the receipt for the airport shuttle, it was clearly too much to ask!
The rooms are adequate and clean, the beds are comfortable. There are a few things that were odd such as the toilet set up in one of our rooms (see photo) a partial wall is so close to the toilet it's awkward to actually use it comfortably!
We had experienced issues from the start with our booking however this was a result of some confusion with our booking as it was a business trip for the first two days then personal for the following two...we felt this was quite clearly explained in our request but was obviously too complex for staff to follow.
Breakfast was dreadful; the bacon, sausages and eggs undercooked. We actually decided after the second day to cancel our breakfast booking and eat elsewhere. Basic amenities are provided; tea, coffee, sugar and UHT milk. Little things that are common in other hotels that would be appreciated are sweeteners (such as Equal if you don't use sugar) and bottled water...not a big deal but we travel a lot for work and this is quite common).
Rooms are equipped with a bar fridge which was handy.
The hotel is in a convenient location to Darling Harbour, the Convention Centre, a variety of shops and there are many options close by for meals. Overall we felt the service was lacking and there are much better options in the area, we would be unlikely to return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MMR1316
Stefanos V, Front Office Manager at Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Mmr1316,

Thank you for your recent stay and time to leave your feedback. We are glad that you have enjoyed our hotel location and room facilities as all the rooms have recently been refurbished to offer a better stay experience to our guests. It is true that our hotel is located in a great area of the City making it easily accessible by public transport and car. Most of Sydney's great attractions are within easy reach from our property either on foot or by public transport.

In our hotel, we always try to offer a great value for money accommodation with a friendly service and it is concerning to read your commends about your check out experience. We take your feedback seriously and I will make sure to properly follow up with the relevant department heads and see what went wrong with your customer service experience. I will also forward your comments about breakfast to our food and beverage team for their review.

I hope that this has addressed your concerns. For anything further, feel free to contact me and I will be happy to assist.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Located in the city, the hotel is close to Thai town and China town. I stayed there in a superior room. The room was quite clean but the wireless was terrible (I spent AUD 50 for a weekly wireless charge). If you're looking for a good location hotel in Sydney with an affordable cost, this hotel is one of your choices!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NamwanMJ
Stefanos V, Front Office Manager at Metro Hotel Marlow Sydney Central, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Namwan,

Thank you for staying in Metro Hotel Sydney and for taking some time to leave your feedback. We are glad to learn that you have enjoyed your accommodation in our recently refurbished rooms. It is true that our hotel is located in a great area of Sydney, close to most major attractions and just a short walk away from public transport.

Regarding your comments about the internet, I will make sure to inform our IT department to check the connection in the room that you stayed for any issues.

We are looking forward to your future visit in our hotel.