“Getting a little tired & noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Adara Camperdown

Adara Camperdown
Ranked #104 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Darwin, Australia
“Getting a little tired & noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed at the Parramatta Road complex for the first time since the Adara name has been on the door and although happy, you can tell the complex is starting to feel age.

The good things:
Location near hospital
Next door to an excellent cafe (Deus)
Close to Sydney City
There might be street parking available nearby.

The bad:
Noisy. Being next to a hospital, how could they have overlooked the fact there would be ambulances with sirens blazing driving past regularly. Had they never heard of double glazing?
Smelly bathrooms.
Stuffy rooms. Why do the windows only open 3cm in the upstairs rooms? I doubt Spiderman is going to break in here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

The outstanding service, especially of Isabelle the receptionist, made our stay at the Missenden Road apartment a cut above the average. The rooms are quite spacious and immaculately clean.
Parking underneath was a bit tight, but well priced at $20 a night. The apartment was very well located, walking distance to Sydney University where our daughter was graduating, and across the road from RPA. Excellent restaurants line King Street, a kilometre or so away at the end of Missenden Road.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Roger255057
Robert-Alam, General Manager at Adara Camperdown, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Roger 255057

Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay at Adara Camperdown. Your kind words regarding Isabel have been passed on. I am pleased you explored the King Street strip and the wonderful array of restaurants on offer. I hope we may look forward to a return visit from you as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back when you next require accommodation in the area.

Griffith, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a 2 BR, 2 bath apartment on the top floor and whilst not cheap it was clean and spacious with pretty good service from reception. Nothing to complain about and overall a good experience. Parking was a little cramped and Wi Fi offered in the package.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MickandRina F
Dear MickandRina F

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased you were happy with the accommodation we provided and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Adara Camperdown again in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

Two couples had two "executive" rooms at the Parramatta Road property. We were not at Missenden Road.
We asked for quiet rooms and that is what we got. Away from the main road with a small balcony overlooking a small interior waterfall. The rooms were well fitted out with sink, microwave, dishes for two ( or three in one room), tea making facilities, dish washing materials, and all the usual bedding requirements. The bathroom toiletries were changed daily (we stayed three nights). Towels were changed when we desired it. We would NOT expect anyone to do our dishes! The bus left from the front of the property every few minutes and went to Circular Quay....for pensioners $2.50 a day! TV, air conditioner, fans and all equipment was in good working order. Staff were pleasant and tried to be helpful. They may need to brush up on where hire cars could be obtained. Only minor issues were the lack of a soap holder in our shower and a mouldy bathroom ceiling which was a bit smelly. Otherwise we were very happy and will definately use this facility again ...and often, as we need to go to Sydney regularly. We were able to check in early and we were close to White Bay shipping Terminal (where big liners dock) and about 15 minutes from the airport. The Pizza shop around the corner had fabulous food!.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Robert-Alam, Manager at Adara Camperdown, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Jill043,

I am pleased to see you were happy with your recent stay at Adara Camperdown [Parramatta Rd property.] We are well served with great choices of eating establishments in the area. I'm sorry there was no soap holder in the shower, but please be assured the apartment you stayed in has been targeted for maintenance. I look forward to your next visit as it would be our pleasure to host you again.

Shazviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my Mum earlier this month, a friend from Sydney having recommended the area to me! Having told me that there were lots of restaurants within close range and things to do.

The staff were very friendly and helpful when we arrived and we were checked in promptly, keys and everything handed over. I had booked a twin which in Europe would mean two beds but we only got the one. Which was something I had been warned about before leaving Europe, however my Mum and I didn't mind sharing as it was quite a large bed anyway! So we didn't ask to be changed!

When we arrived I was surprised to see that there didn't appear to be many restaurants visible nearby. However there is a cafe across the road next to the bike shop which is only open early morning to early afternoon, there is also a Nandos on the Hill around the corner from the petrol station. I didn't go to these places but heard that the breakfast in the cafe was particularly good!

I did at the recommendation of reception go to Oscars (Olivers?) which was a sports bar on the corner of the road when you take a right at the front door. It was very reasonably priced, having stayed in Perth which I felt was quite expensive before that I was quite impressed and the food was pretty good too! The barman also gave me a free drink as he was going to have to change the bottle after that which was quite nice, we went there a few times after that!

Across from Oscars / Olivers there was a food store and bottle shop which had pretty much all we needed for our stay! There is a shop next door to the hotel but they don't really stock much food nor does the store by the petrol station. We went into the store by the hotel for bus tickets and water bottles mostly! Although the guy that works there is very friendly and gives people lists of places to visit that are off the beaten path in and around Sydney! So worth chatting when you go in if he's there! Stays open until about 11pm too which is handy!

The hotel is a bit out from the city but the bus stop is right outside and buses pass very regularly! For anyone else confused by bus zone tickets a 10 trip zone 1-2 took us down to CBD right by the Opera house and harbour Bridge and can be used with two people at once!

The hotel was clean and they catered for whatever we might need. The stand in the hall at reception has loads to offer too! Staff were very friendly and helpful, when we were leaving the girl stood on the street and hailed us a taxi for the airport which we really appreciated!

I've heard people mention traffic noise, well we were on the third floor and I can't say that I actually noticed any!

If your looking for a base and don't mind the buses it's only about 15 minutes to CBD centre if that. Then I would recommend this hotel and I would stay there again if I come back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shazviv
Robert-Alam, Manager at Adara Camperdown, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Dear Shazviv,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your visit and that you found our staff friendly and accommodating. We are well catered for with food choices in the area, but it appears you did not explore the other end of Missenden Road where it meets King Street, Newtown. The King Street strip is lined with bars and a huge choice of restaurants offering cuisine from around the world.

I hope, in the near future, we will be able to welcome you back to Adara Camperdown.

ralam@adaracamperdown.com.au
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

I am not one to complain but my experience at the Adara has made me feel obliged to write a review so others can be informed about this place.
While the rooms are clean and fine I think the management of this place is extremely poor and it really impacts on your experience.

I had to move 3 times to get a room anywhere near the one I was promised on the internet. The first 2 they put me in were in the Paramatta Rd apartments - 200m down the road and on a main road (awful!). These are newer, but were akin to a dungeon. Dark and very pokey. They had moved me here because I had apparently asked for an 'executive' suite even though I had clearly booked the Missenden Rd ones and Missenden Rd was listed on my booking confirmation. This also meant that the car park I was paying for was 200m up the road! I eventually got moved to the older but slightly larger Missenden Rd apartments where my car was. This was better but even though I had paid for a car park there were nights where there were no spaces.

I finally ended up with the verandah I had booked but you really need to keep the curtains closed all the time here as there is a block of apartments looking right into the rooms.
"Serviced apartment" here means - at best - you will get your bed made. I had dishes that I left that never got touched ( I was here for a week). Towels rarely replaced, no other tidying done at all. Shampoo never replaced etc. It all felt a bit mean - like management was trying to save every dollar.

The TV was 5 Foxtel channels (3 sport, comedy and sky news) and when I eventually got a staff member to come and help me find free to air I could only access 1 channel and I needed to manually get to it every time. While the staff member was helpful they did not then report/fix the issue. There seemed to be a 'well that's just the way it is" attitude. Oh and internet is $10 a day!!?? In my opinion that is just greedy.

Generally speaking though the staff were the best thing about this place. They are very warm and friendly. I think whoever is running the place is lucky to have them and if they had better management I suspect it could be turned around.

There are no sign on the phone about how to call down to reception and when I asked on several occasions no one seemed to know how this was done - I wonder if they just discourage it? This means you have to walk down to reception for any tiny question you have. No helpful info on the local area, or local take way brochures.

In fact the only thing there is in the room in way of information - is a big (very unfriendly) sign in that says "Anyone setting off the fire alarm will be fined $1250" and tell you to watch the toaster all the time. (really??) The alarm was set off TWICE while I was there ( I stayed for a week) between the hours of 2am and 5.30am - causing the entire building out onto the street in their pyjamas while the fire brigade investigated.
It is obviously a trigger happy alarm that needs to be fixed.

I arrived at this accommodation very very tired and I must say it was not a comforting place to stay. They could and should do so much better.
I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in the Paramatta Rd property and ask what your room looks out onto if you get...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Frankiegoesroundtown
Dear Frankiegoesroundtown,

I am sorry you were disappointed with your recent stay at Adara Camperdown. Please be advised that at the time of your stay we were changing brands. The original booking made was for an Executive Studio which is hotel style accommodation at the Parramatta Road property. The confirmation sent to you shows a map with both of our properties on it, which are located approx 120 meters apart. Secure, onsite parking is available at the Missenden Road property only.

Our servicing policy is, unless prior arrangements have been made, a daily service of tidy up, rubbish removal, bed made, dishes washed, all amenities replaced, tea, coffee and milk supplies topped up. A full service is provided after every third night of a long stay. This includes the prior and a full change of linen. However, should a Do Not Disturb sign be displayed on the door our staff will respect your wishes and not enter the apartment.

The signs for contacting reception are now in place and I apologise that this was an oversight with the change of the brand. On check in guests are advised to dial 9 to contact reception and this is also stated in the Welcome letter. A full brochure rack offering maps, trips, shopping, dining suggestions etc is located in the foyer of both properties for the perusal of our guests.

The signs and instructions regarding ensuring the exhaust fans are in use while cooking, and taking care with toasters etc is to remind guests to be mindful. The fire brigade do charge for call outs for false alarms. It is unfortunate that you happened to experience the evacuation of the building and for this I apologise as it does only ever happen rarely.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments about the staff. The property has been rebranded and is undergoing refurbishment. I hope you will try us again in the future.

ralam@adaraapartments.com.au

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Orange, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Great location close to RPA hospital , Newtown and Parramatta road. Staff were very friendly and rooms very clean. Personally we thought the bed was very uncomfortable but for the one night we stayed it was ok.

Stayed March 2014