“Central Location”

The Grace Hotel Sydney
Ranked #20 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed here recently as we were attending a function in Darling Harbour. It was the perfect location with a 5 minute walk to where we needed to go. The room was great, spacious for a CBD room, fresh, clean, the bed was comfortable and the shower was lovely. We didnt eat there so can't comment on that, we did check out the gym, spa, sauna, lap pool (only 1.1 meters deep) and rooftop terrace...all great. Would stay there again...only downside having to pay an additional $45 to park the car....but that's Sydney.

There are newer reviews for The Grace Hotel Sydney

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Booked here for seven nights and found the service standards to be universally poor based on a low number of staff. Every morning there is a crowd of people waiting to check out in reception and usually a small group around the concierge area trying to attract the attention of a concierge. Calling the front desk always results in a wait and usually a telephone queue.

This morning (9:30am) while sitting in my pyjamas at the desk, the doorbell rings and the door opens simultaneously. It's a staff member. He makes no comment, but rather just shuts the door immediately. I go to the door (yes! In pyjamas!) and ask what he's doing. He apologises and goes on his way.

A complaint to the front desk gets put in a telephone queue (as usual) and eventually they agree to investigate. An hour or so later they call me back and tell me that the staff member was there to replenish the mini-bar. They told me that he knocked on the door and rang the bell and only opened the door when there was no answer!?!!

I checked out early as I was very concerned about the attitude and reaction of the staff. The hotel staff informed me that I won't get a refund on the last two nights as it was booked through Expedia and "Expedia doesn't allow refunds". I pointed out that Expedia gives the money to the hotel, so the question of whether the nights can be refunded or not has nothing to do with Expedia. This was greeted with silence.

Room Tip: Best to choose a room at another hotel if you value your privacy or if you would like to have some s...
2  Thank WinnyTheShane
TheGraceHotelSydney, Guest Relations Manager at The Grace Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear WinnyTheShane,

Thank you for reviewing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am very pleased to advise that this matter has been resolved in a satisfactory manner between the hotel and the guest.

The relevant staff member has been re-trained in the correct procedure and the importance of excellent customer service is reiterated.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2013

The Grace Hotel is a good, solid work horse hotel ... comfortable, good value and a great location.

We have stayed twice this year - 2 nights in January and 3 nights in February. Our first stay in January was a last minute booking in a Superior Room. The room was one of the refurbished rooms, was very comfortable and the entire stay was otherwise uneventful.

For our second stay in February we booked a Deluxe Room and we were a little disappointed to be given a room that was pretty much exactly the same as the room we'd had in January. It was also a room with an interconnecting door to the next room and at moments we felt like we had the young guys from that room in ours with us.

We requested a room change and were given a new room with no issues. The new room was on the 11th floor, much larger but not the renovated version. (As a note, the renovated rooms seem to be different only to the extent that they have new comfortable, mattress and the bath has been removed from the bathroom and replaced with a large shower.)

At 6.15am on Sunday morning there was a fire alarm on the 11th floor only!! Information and details about what to do were somewhat scarce. We dutifully got dressed and traipsed down to reception with a few other guests. It didn't take long to resolve and we were able to return to our room and back to sleep.

Obviously, as seasoned travellers we understand that these things happen sometimes and totally understand the need to ensure our safety. We were a little surprised that there was no further mention made of this event ... no explanation, no apology, nothing. It's not a big deal but a bit surprising.

Despite these hiccups, the Grace provided for our requirements adequately. We were able to walk to and from Darling Harbour easily for our business meetings, there are lots of good restaurants nearby and it is a great location to meet with friends and colleagues working in the city.

We will stay at the Grace again and we recommend it to others but we do suggest managing your expectations. In the nicest possible way you get what you pay for here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Frankly I found this hotel's service, and by extension management, a basket case. From check in to check out we had nothing but trouble. When we arrived late due to traffic, it meant that I effectively had 10 minutes to get to a business meeting I had arranged in the lobby. The old-fashioned push open doors are quaint but as people are constantly coming in and out with luggage, they require a doorman to be always on duty. As we were to find over our four day stay, they did have a doorman, but he was rarely on duty. When our party of 3 (including a 70 year old woman) was trying to get into the hotel with our considerable luggage (one oversized) there was no doorman to be seen, however two men at concierge just meters away stood watching on as a guest stepped in to help open the swinging doors for us. Once we were in however, one of the concierge people asked if he could take our luggage. I said "yes and it will need to go straight to the room when we check in as I have an immediate business appointment", besides "there is some valuable equipment in there". I explained that one of the pieces contained equipment worth $50,000. He looked at me disinterested and put our luggage amongst others not even counting the number of pieces. I then of course had to get a room number for him to take them to. There were only 2 couples in front of us in the queue but incredibly it took 10 long minutes before we would be served by one of the two separate front of house people "working" there. By now I was late for my appointment and as soon as I had the room number went over to my "friend" at concierge to tell him that I now needed my bags taken up straight away. He refused....that's right... straight out refused. "No, I'll take them up in another 5 or 10 minutes" I told him I needed them in the room now as as I had to quickly change and in any case lock up my valuable equipment, which was in a case I was not going to leave in the foyer. He replied
" No, other people will need their luggage taken up soon so I'll do it then". At that point only our party was ready to have their luggage moved and it would have taken him 4 minutes to return to the foyer anyway. I asked him one more time before he again point-blank refused. I then had no choice but to quickly tow both my considerable sized bags side-by-side to the lifts, a difficult task for anyone whose tried it, let alone doing the same in and out of the lifts and into the room. That's right... he wouldn't even help me to the lifts, and this is his job! On top of that the ramp to the lift area is only one suitcase wide, so I had to pull them up the only alternative, the 3 stairs next to the ramp, in full view of concierge. Other guests checking in were dumbfounded as they watched and listened on.

My wife was to have another run-in with the same man a couple of days later when he was arguing back to her about wake up calls, and whether he would book a taxi then or in the morning. We wanted it then, he said he would only do it in the morning. We ended up doing it ourselves.

But wait, let's backtrack a bit. I have stayed in many hotels and am accustomed to people "swiping" your card as you check-in as a precaution against "runners". At the Grace however, they take it to another level, in fact for me, two new levels. There is no paperwork signed regarding this, just a dodgy, I would say deceptive, explanation given. My card would be "locked off" they said, to the amount of $900 to cover the room ($600) and incidentals ($300). I would get it back "immediately" on check-out. Ok, odd I thought, but I'm in a hurry so ok.
Fast forward to check-out a few days later where I pay ANOTHER $600 ($608 with a beer) a total of $1508 effectively taken from my account, but I've paid for it now right? So my card will revert to normal now? Wrong.

"Yes Sir" as I was about to pay the bill "the money locked off will now be returned automatically" "So... immediately? " I asked. "Yes Sir". Pay account on this basis, but on bank app $900 is still missing. Had to race out to taxi so tell concierge to go back in with our room numbers and make sure our money is released immediately "Yes Sir" he said unconvincingly. Get home that night check bank app, money still not returned. Ring hotel, "well yes Sir it is automatic, but it takes 3 or 4 working days for the bank to process it". So I ring bank " no they could release it immediately it is the Grace Hotel's policy not ours, they simply need to send a fax and we can do it right now". A lie on top of a lie from the Grace. Not once during my stay did I see anyone resembling management, just staff. It had the feeling of ship without a captain. As I write I still don't have my money back and have sent a complaint to the GM on this but won't hold my breath. I have finished with this Hotel as a guest but not yet in terms of what I am going to do about this kind of corporate behaviour. DisGRACEful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank chrisozman

Dear chrisozman,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on your recent stay to Sydney.

First of all, please allow us to apologise for the experience you have encountered during your stay. We are very disappointed to your the lack of customer service you have experienced.

Rest assured, your comment has been forwarded to our General Manager, Mr. Pratley's attention and as a result, Mr. Pratley has had a discussion with our Concierge team.

In regards to the credit card pre-authorisation, if the booking is not prepaid in advance, the amount taken for the deposit will be the room cost plus $100 per night to cover the incidental charges. We will be conducting a refresher training for all our Guest Services Agents regarding the policy and procedure for credit card pre-authorisation.

Mr. Pratley has contacted chrisozman directly to resolve this matter directly.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is in a great location close to Darling Harbour, Circular Quay and all the central city malls. The room was fine. It was on the smallish side but clean and unobjectionable decor.

What let this hotel down was the service. I was travelling with a friend and we had requested adjacent rooms via an internet booking site. When we arrived we had rooms three floors apart. We asked if we could have rooms closer together and were told in no uncertain terms that we couldn't. I then mentioned that we'd asked on our booking form for adjacent rooms and suddenly we were able to be moved right next to each other! It was great that they fixed this for us but I was rather left with the impression that you'd only get good service if you pushed a bit.

I had a problem with the shower (a bit cool) and had trouble tracking someone down to sort it out. I called housekeeping (long wait for answer then on hold), so I tried reception (long wait for answer then on hold), so I tried the operator (long wait then on hold)... Eventually I found someone to talk to at room service. The problem was fixed but many hours after they said it would be fixed and there was no apology for the couple of coolish showers.

Also, we went for a swim and would have liked to relax on the terrace but there were no umbrellas and the sun was fierce. There was no-one on duty in the pool area (mid-afternoon) and no easy way (ie a phone) to contact reception to ask for a brolly.

Overall it felt like a bit of a ghost ship staff wise and the service was patchy.

On the plus side, the room was perfectly clean and serviceable and the location is fantastic. Just don't expect a particularly welcoming ambience.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have less traffic noise
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear NJWil_44,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Grace Hotel and reviewing us on TripAdvisor.

Please allow me to apologise for the lack of customer service you have encountered during your recent stay with us. This is something that we try to avoid but, obviously, we sometimes fall short of the mark despite all our best efforts in satisfying the needs of every Guest. It is clear that we dropped the ball, so to speak, when taking care of your needs.

The fitness centre or the rooftop is unattended and the Grace Hotel placed a signage advising guests to contact our Guest Services on ext 0 if service is required. The phone is located near the entrance door to the fitness centre.

Once again, I am very sorry to read your review and should there be anything that I can personally assist you with, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Kind regard,

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have previously stayed at The Grace but not for many years. It is in a great location, easy walk to Darling Harbour, the city and Circular Quay. A quick walk from either Wynward or Town Hall stations so great for train to and from the airport.
The rooms are a good size and well appointed, ask for one with a view. You can choose to eat in the restaurant's formal dining area or there are a number of other venues on the ground floor.
We stayed the weekend of Mardi Gras and the pricing was much more reasonable that what others were charging. Can recommend for couples or business travel.

1  Thank Mazla
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Just checked out after a 4 night stay for business. There are cheaper options around here, but The Grace ticks pretty much all the boxes at the price. A converted Arts and Crafts style office building from the 1920's, the rooms are large and modern. The dining options are basic... An Irish pub, buffet and cafe, but you're in the heart of Sydney with a myriad of choices within ten minutes walk. Go South for great Asian food around Haymarket. East across Hyde Park takes you to Stanley Street , Darlinghurst and Surry Hills. You are ten minutes walk from Circular Quay and Darling Harbour too. The Grace has a small fitness centre and pool and a nice rooftop terrace to chill out on... Staff are friendly and capable and it's rarely hard to get a taxi....in short, lots to like.

• Stayed: March 2013