“Between the Rocks and a Heart Place”

Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard
Ranked #94 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Between the Rocks and a Heart Place”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Travelodge Wynyard enjoys a unique location - within easy walking distance of the Rocks and Circular Quay, and the Opera House; and a short walk of the Heart of Sydney City and it's incredible shopping precinct. Even better, the Travelodge Wynyard is right next door to Wynyard station making train travel to the airport, and other Sydney sights very convenient. Matched by its great value, this must be an ideal hotel for the budget conscious tourist.

1 Thank Paul H
SM_McKinnon, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Paul H,

Thank you for taking the time to share the feedback on your recent stay. We are blessed by our location and I am glad that you had a great stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sean McKinnon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I've realized that if you want to have a good experience in a hotel in Sydney you have to spend the big bucks.. I came to Sydney on business last November, stayed at The Menzies and overall it was really bad, so I thought ok I have to stay within Winyard and I have certain budget so I chose Travelodge based on reviews. The rooms I have to say are in better shape than that of The Menzies, so that is good, there is no WiFi! Indeed.. none! You can only hook up your laptop via Ethernet so if you have a new MacBook Pro and forgot the adapter you are done, internet is 11AUD per hour, which is a bit much to me if you can't hook up another device. Rooms are fine, except internet, and the shower be careful is a fine line between freezing or having your skin melt. Why I will never stay there again is because of the AWFUL customer service, first strike I asked them if they can call me a cab they say no they can't and keep on about their business... ok.... strike 2, I go to the bar with my coworker after a full on day of crazy travel around Australia, I ask the waitress if they have any red wine Pinot Noir like as I could not identify the wines on the menu, she gives me the rolly-rolly!!! Literally! Like a 15 year old, rolls her eyes and says just pick one, what!???? I asked her a few more questions about the wines and she just kept rolling her eyes being absolutely annoyed at my questions.... we ended up going some place else... STRIKE 3! In the morning if you are in a hurry and just have to eat there be prepared to be treated like cattle, not joking before they let you in you must state EXACTLY what you are having for breakfast, you must write in FULL your name, your room number and your signature, which is fine but the guy asking for it is the most rude person ever.. They all where really.. I realize because hotels are so expensive in Sydney this is the economy option therefor is ok to treat you badly.. I thought The Menzies was bad, but it was the other way around bad rooms, good customer service.. mmmm tough choice, but I will stick to good customer service. I stayed at the Adelphi in Melbourne and that was a completely different experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Mariana A
Dear Mariana A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback from your recent stay with us. I must admit I was extremely concerned to read your comments in relation to our F&B team and their service delivery. Customer service is at the heart of everything we do and to have fallen so short on this occasion is unacceptable. I simply cannot believe that any of the team members here would behave so unprofessionally. None the less you can rest assured that I will be working closely with the team to ensure that there is nothing but rave reviews coming from our bar and restaurant over the next few weeks. Again I thank you for your feedback, it is not always pleasant to hear such negative reviews however it is important that the root of the issues are addressed and the overall guest experience is improved for all travellers moving forward.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed February 23, 2014

The hotel is almost next to Wynyard station, so getting from the Airport was easy (17 dollars each).The walk to Circular Quay where all the ferries go was only about 10 minutes, which we did every day. Wifi was available for 30minutes a day for free, and we used other places that offer free wifi at other times (Starbucks, Rossinis etc)

We were on a RTW holiday, and it suited us well. we ate breakfast at Panzottis (opposite corner) to get a feel of the locals) and ate at different restaurants each night.

1 Thank Sarah F
Dear Sarah F

Thank you for your recent review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and wish you safe future travels.

england
Reviewed February 21, 2014

stayed here twice each for 3 nights during our trip. The location was excellent 5 minutes walk to the harbours, bridge and Rocks area. Had the same room both times, 8th floor at the back. No view as office building directly opposite, very close but this is very common in the city here. the room was large windows could be opened to let air in. coffee and tea facilities, iron and board in roof safe. large wardrobe plenty hanging space.
Downside was bathroom, quite small and tight on space. bath with over shower. two people couldn't squeeze in and door had just enough opening space. there did not appear to be an extractor in the bathroom which had led to mould appearing above the bath. No other problem with room and the standard of cleaning was very good. some city noise but not intrusive.
Laundry room and gym on top floor, made use of these facilities, saved having to take dirty clothes home.There is a shower up here and able to use this after checkout when we collected bags from store before late flight. towels and hairdryer are provided so this was great and meant we could have the full day then freshen up prior to flight. Reception staff were always very pleasant and helpful. Would definitely recommend hotel

1 Thank ad803
Dear ad803,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Travelodge. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I thank you for bringing the bathroom ventilation issue to my attention. We are currently working through and cleaning of all vents to improve the air flow in the bathrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

singapore
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had the Executive Suite on the 21st floor but there is nothing executive about it. In fact, the lift is so slow that it is more a con than a pro being on the top floor. The room has very basic and tasteless furniture and the bathroom is cramped. Getting in and out of the bathtub shower is dangerous.

The customer service is dreadful. Nobody smiles or greets you as you enter and exit. There is no number to call front desk from the room. At 11.40am someone knocked on the door and rudely told me my check out was at 12.00nn. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank toweldoll
Dear Toweldoll,.

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we failed to deliver in terms of customer service on this occasion. Quality customer service can often be the making of a stay and clearly the shortfall has left you with an understandable poor impression of our hotel. I truly hope that we have the opportunity to show you what we are capable of in the future.

Sydney
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My mother and Auntie stayed for one week and had a terrible stay. First they paid more than they were quote on the phone when they first booked. They were given only one towel and face washer for two people. The room was never cleaned properly and the glasses never replaced. On checking out the staff then accused my mother of being a liar stating that she hadn't paid for her shuttle bus which she clearly had as she had the ticket in her hand. Then when your staff realised they were wrong never offered her an apology. On checking their account they found numerous errors regarding breakfast charged for days that they weren't even there. All in all this hotel lacks customer service and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Overpriced for the quality of room and service.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jo S
SM_McKinnon, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Jo S

Welcome to trip advisor. I have spoken to a Mrs Dunn directly via telephone on the 18/02/14 in relation to this feedback however I am available if you would like to discuss this matter further? My contact number is 02 9274 1222.

Skegness
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Flew into Sydney. Direct train to Wynyard station which is 200m from hotel. Great location in city. Everything walkable. Great value too! Staff were excellent and particularly Henry the porter who was so polite and helpful to us and everyone who I saw him deal with.

3 Thank glindley49
Dear glindley49

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us. We agree that the location is unbeatable and thank you for mentioning Henry’s customer service efforts. Henry recently won an award for customer service excellence and is truly setting the standard for the team to follow.

Many thanks