“excellent location”

Ranked #92 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
england
“excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

stayed here twice each for 3 nights during our trip. The location was excellent 5 minutes walk to the harbours, bridge and Rocks area. Had the same room both times, 8th floor at the back. No view as office building directly opposite, very close but this is very common in the city here. the room was large windows could be opened to let air in. coffee and tea facilities, iron and board in roof safe. large wardrobe plenty hanging space.
Downside was bathroom, quite small and tight on space. bath with over shower. two people couldn't squeeze in and door had just enough opening space. there did not appear to be an extractor in the bathroom which had led to mould appearing above the bath. No other problem with room and the standard of cleaning was very good. some city noise but not intrusive.
Laundry room and gym on top floor, made use of these facilities, saved having to take dirty clothes home.There is a shower up here and able to use this after checkout when we collected bags from store before late flight. towels and hairdryer are provided so this was great and meant we could have the full day then freshen up prior to flight. Reception staff were always very pleasant and helpful. Would definitely recommend hotel

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ad803
SM_McKinnon, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear ad803,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Travelodge. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I thank you for bringing the bathroom ventilation issue to my attention. We are currently working through and cleaning of all vents to improve the air flow in the bathrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sean McKinnon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had the Executive Suite on the 21st floor but there is nothing executive about it. In fact, the lift is so slow that it is more a con than a pro being on the top floor. The room has very basic and tasteless furniture and the bathroom is cramped. Getting in and out of the bathtub shower is dangerous.

The customer service is dreadful. Nobody smiles or greets you as you enter and exit. There is no number to call front desk from the room. At 11.40am someone knocked on the door and rudely told me my check out was at 12.00nn. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank toweldoll
Dear Toweldoll,.

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we failed to deliver in terms of customer service on this occasion. Quality customer service can often be the making of a stay and clearly the shortfall has left you with an understandable poor impression of our hotel. I truly hope that we have the opportunity to show you what we are capable of in the future.

Sean McKinnon

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Sydney
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My mother and Auntie stayed for one week and had a terrible stay. First they paid more than they were quote on the phone when they first booked. They were given only one towel and face washer for two people. The room was never cleaned properly and the glasses never replaced. On checking out the staff then accused my mother of being a liar stating that she hadn't paid for her shuttle bus which she clearly had as she had the ticket in her hand. Then when your staff realised they were wrong never offered her an apology. On checking their account they found numerous errors regarding breakfast charged for days that they weren't even there. All in all this hotel lacks customer service and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Overpriced for the quality of room and service.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jo S
SM_McKinnon, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Jo S

Welcome to trip advisor. I have spoken to a Mrs Dunn directly via telephone on the 18/02/14 in relation to this feedback however I am available if you would like to discuss this matter further? My contact number is 02 9274 1222.

Skegness
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

Flew into Sydney. Direct train to Wynyard station which is 200m from hotel. Great location in city. Everything walkable. Great value too! Staff were excellent and particularly Henry the porter who was so polite and helpful to us and everyone who I saw him deal with.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank glindley49
Dear glindley49

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay with us. We agree that the location is unbeatable and thank you for mentioning Henry’s customer service efforts. Henry recently won an award for customer service excellence and is truly setting the standard for the team to follow.

Many thanks
Holt, Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed twice a month apart. The first time was after a long flight and I didn't review as I was not that happy with it and thought I would wait until I had been and stayed longer. Good decision as the second time I was in a room higher up the hotel which felt as though it was refurbished with a really comfortable bed and quiet. I could not say that about the first visit. Breakfast is okay but expensive for what you get. The location is the thing that sells this hotel, perfect for walking to the trains or to any parts of the city and ferry terminals. Was it good value - just about.

Room Tip: Check to see if I am correct about refurbished rooms and if so do specify one.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Fotofinder
Dear Fotofinder,

Thank you for the feedback and indeed the second chance. As a top contributor we understand that you have vast experience to draw from and to have scored so highly is really quite pleasing for the team. We wish you safe travels and hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I expected more for $160 a night. In my own time I am more of a backpacker who tends to stay in hostels so average accommodation doesn't phase me when I'm paying the right rate for it, but I also stay away across Aus on business and I am used to a much higher standard of accommodation for a lot lower price than this Travelodge provides.

Positives-big comfy bed which was clean,good storage space,i got a room with a bath which was great,staff were friendly and i liked that you get a decent size mug in your room! I'm used to those titchy things most hotels give you! Great location for me for work and if you want to get to the main sights of Sydney or use the train it is super close.

Negatives-My room stank of damp and mould, it was truly terrible.There is no fan in the bathroom, when i arrived my fridge had defrosted (previous guest or housekeeping had left the door open) so I knelt in a pool of stinking water and the carpet was still sodden on day three. I let reception know and they did their best with towels but it didn't make much difference due to the amount of water (plus the colour if the water on the towels was revolting-how often do the carpets get cleaned?!) When I had a bath and let the water out a blocked drain sent water flowing from the drain across the bathroom floor. Hence the damp mould stench-all this water and nowhere to go but the carpet. The bathroom was old,tired and grubby looking,the bath enamel peeling off and paint work scuffed and chipped. It felt like the room needed a new carpet, good clean and a paint job.I felt gross walking barefoot in the room. The window shutters had come off their hinges and the ancient looking air conditioning vent gave off a weird smell of eggs which combined with the mould was pretty unpleasant.

I'm used to staying in weird and wonderful places and roughing it and this would be an $85-$90 a night room in my opinion when I compare it to other hotels Ive experienced. $160 is really poor value for money.I stayed in Melbourne CBD in a four star,brand new apartment for $115 last week so I feel that either the standard needs to improve dramatically or the price needs to come down to accurately reflect the quality of the rooms. Really sorry to say I will be suggesting to work we find another supplier as we have had quite a few staff who have been super underwhelmed with the rooms.Sorry Travelodge,we will come back when you're less stinky.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jessica D
Dear Jessica D,

Thank you for staying with us recently and I am sorry that your stay appears to have been less than satisfactory. I would like to discuss this further with you if you are available. Please contact the hotel on 02 9274 1222 when convenient.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed at this hotel 15th to 18th January 2014. Recommended by a friend who is now due a pint for his efforts. It is a Travel Lodge and as usual you get what you pay for but the location makes it just perfect.
Rooms were more than adequate and could not fault the cleanliness of the hotel. Would agree with many of the revues re internet access and even the pay access computers in the lobby rip you off - if they improve this aspect as promised then it really is an ideal city centre hotel for tourists. Did not eat in the hotel but it is so close to many many facilities and a wide selection of bars and restaurants - and the fact it's 30 seconds from the train station seals it for me.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HappyJambo
Dear HappyJambo,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. I am delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations and hope to see you again soon.