“Better this time”

Ranked #93 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Bathurst, Australia
“Better this time”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised staying here after the last time. I purchased the accommodation as a "secret hotel" and was a little disappointed when the hotel was revealed to me after the purchase but the disappointment didn't last long and I was only staying the one night. Because my plans had changed and I needed 2 single beds rather than a double the staff were very accommodating. The room was very clean and it seemed to have had a makeover since the last time Is stayed. I really liked the timber shutters which seemed to keep out the street noise and light and I had a very peaceful sleep. Checkin and checkout was efficient, the location excellent and the hotel was good value for money. Sydney is a very expensive city to visit especially during the weekend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pauline2795
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Pauline2795

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback. I will be passing your comments on to our team who will be pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Sydney.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Location was fabulous, and has access to wherever you want to go, but we found at night the surrounding are was very loud/noisy, and you had metal shutters for blinds! draft near the window, and the bathroom wasnt exactly perfect, but our room had a television, fridge,ironing board,wardroobe etc, everthing we needed. It was clean and tidy, and the staff were friendly, but after staying for 4 nights all we wanted to do was move onto the next hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sophie L
Dear Sophie L

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback.

Look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Sydney.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We booked this as part of a travel package so did not have any choice of rooms so ended up on the ninth floor overlooking a laneway facing an office block. I don't know the exact fee but less airfare would be about A$150 per night. I don't recall the exact rate for breakfast but from memory it was about $A30 per person for full breakfast which seemed a bit steep. We found a good breakfasts for less elsewhere such as Darling Harbour.

There is no free WiFi in the room but we were offered a 15 minute voucher to use in the lobby.

The windows were not double glazed so the garbage trucks wake one up during the evening.

The room and corridor smelled a bit musty and food trays were left outside an adjoing room for several hours.

On a positive note this is a good location. We loaned ome umbrellas at no additional cost and the check out was one of the fastest that I have ever experienced. The staff were also helpful in storing our bags with efficient storage and retrieval.

I have stayed at Travelodges before but this hotel was not up to the same standard that I have experienced and I would not recommend or stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not choose rooms facing the laneway.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Happytraveller1399
Dear Happytraveller1399

Thank you very much for your feedback.

In regards to breakfast we have 4 different options daily that range from $4 for coffee and homemade muffin on the go, $12.50 for light breakfast, $20 for continental breakfast and $25 for a full buffet breakfast so we cater for all our guests requirements.

We have also been working closely with the local council and other businesses in the area and have dramatically reduced the amount of rubbish collections in the laneway. I believe this issue is now sorted.

We have also taken on board your comments about the trays on the corridors and have taken measures to prevent this.

I truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back when you next visit Sydney.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights a few days ago and it was a great hotel. We originally booked a room with two double beds, but on arrival we were presented with one queen bed. Realising their mistake they quickly offered us the room we had originally requested or an upgrade to a family room for no extra charge. This was above and beyond what they had to do. We experienced no noise, the lifts worked great, the staff were lovely. They would always ask my girls what we had done during the day and what our plans were for the next day.We ate at the restaurant a few times, the steak would always come out looking quite rare, although on the second occasion we sent it back and we were delighted with how quickly they brought us out a newly cooked steak. It's definitely worth going to the breakfast buffet, it was very nice. The location was amazing, the view not so great. We had a 9 year old with us who is not much of a walker, but it was only 10 minutes walk to circular quay and 15 minutes to darling harbour. Martin Place, where channel 7 is, is a 7 minute walk away. There are plenty of restaurants in walking distance, and a taxi is very cheap to any of the land marks, although walking in sydney is quite nice. Starbucks was next door and a 7/eleven across the road. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a good price, good service and excellent location.

Room Tip: Call and ask about family rooms, it is a room with an extra bedroom with bunks. They don't adver...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Reilly H
Dear Reilly H

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The location of Travelodge Wynyard is probably one of the best in Sydney - only about a hundred metres away from the entrance to the Wynyard train station and a major bus stop, walking distance to the Rocks, Circular Quay, Darling Harbour and Westfield.

The room and bathroom was a little more average - clean enough but starting to look a little old and a bit gloomy (although due to the fact I was on quite a low floor with my room window facing a building). The first couple of days I was there the entire corridor on my floor smelled of stale food which was a little unpleasant but could overlook it as the smell was mainly in the corridor and not so much inside the room.

I was rather disappointed to find that there was no way to make international phone calls from the hotel and you had to walk a hundred metres up the street to a public phone if you wanted to make an international phone call.

Each room is allocated 15 minutes of free wifi per day and you have to pay for anything beyond that (pretty pricey too).

However, I must say that the staff were very friendly and helpful, going out of their way to help with my queries.

As Sydney is a pretty expensive city, I suppose Travelodge Wynyard is reasonable value given it's great location. Overall, although the rooms and facilities of the hotel aren't the best, the location is unbeatable, hence the rating of four points.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a room on a higher floor - hopefully less gloomy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank travelbugbitten03
Dear travelbugbitten03

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I apologise if you were given the wrong information in regards to phone calls but you can in fact make calls from your room phone at any time.

Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed for one night at the Travelodge, Wynward in Sydney. The room was clean and in good condition. The reception staff were helpful. The location was great. I got a good deal on the internet. I was very happy, with no complaints.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bradley66
Dear Bradley66

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Very good location in the centre of Sydney with all the attractions and transport links nearby,
the rooms are clean and comfortable for as you would expect, and reception could not have been more helpful over my early arrival from the UK in somewhat weary state to be reccommened.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as this is very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo