“Good Location, Good Rooms.”

Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard
Ranked #97 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 6, 2008

Just Returned from a 3 week Holiday in Ausralia.12 April to 1 st May 08 Our first visit..
! week Melbourne and Area. Great.
1 week Travelodge Wyngard Sydney, very good for location,
Rooms better than I expected,ask for the back as quieter..Very busy place with tours coming and going. Breakfast buffet very good but expensive 20au$ pp. Plenty of other places nearby.
Much to do and see in Sydney.The Sydney Explorer Bus to Watsons Bay/Gap Great views,( the famous Fish and Chips!, Rubbish) then to Bondi.Very disappointed,but the walk around the headland toTamarama and Bronte Beach was the Highlight.Good day out.
3rd week to Port Douglas, Bueatiful. Clean, Green,open spaces,only 3 storey buildingsMax. The trip to the Barrier Reef great.We went on the Poseidon boat,wow what service,good food and really looked after.Nothing was too much trouble for the staff.Stayed at the Macossan House.just back of the main street.
Very good clean apartment.highly recommended.

1  Thank Barry-Jang
Write a ReviewReviews (5,222)

Reviewed May 5, 2008

My wife and I spent 4 days here while exploring Sydney. We were very happy with the location (both harbours, bridge climb, shopping etc were easily accessible) but like other reviewers we had some reservations about the hotel facilities.
Although staff tried to be very helpful, there were often just too few of them trying to service too many guests. The hotel was in the middle of a refurbishment so the lifts were often locked off by the builders causing massive delays and the place was dusty and covered with scaffolding downstairs.
The room was fine but very tired.

If ever they finish the makeover (and don't hike up the prices as a result) it could be a great value place to stay.

Meanwhile - get a refurbised room on a high floor and enjoy the walks.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 50countries
Reviewed April 17, 2008

The first room I was booked into stunk of smoke, even though it's meant to be a non-smoking hotel. The second room I walked into had so much chemical air scent sprayed in it - that my throat became hoarse & I could barely speak. I sounded like I had a heavy cold for three hours afterwards & had to leave the hotel. I have never had a reaction like that before.

The beds had creases in them & even on a Sunday it was noisy from the traffic below. The walls and carpets were marked. I was very sorry to have wasted my time on this hotel.

My complaints were dealt with fairly effectively, though it still cost me time, cab fares and third party booking fees. The other thing that concerned me was - what on earth is in the air? Save yourself the heartache & go for something better to begin with.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank skywok
Reviewed April 11, 2008

When booking this hotel we specifically asked about parking as we would be arriving by car. When we arrived, the underground carpark was full and we had to park in a public car park. When we did manage to get into the hotel carpark we were charged £20 per day - and had to park a hire car between two builders trucks - great if your car carries a hefty excess for damage!!

The hotel room was adequate but shabby. The room had been much bigger in a former life and a thin dividing wall had been constructed. It meant that we heard everything our neighbours did for the 4 days we were there.

The front desk was impersonal and had a couldn't care less attitude. One desk clerk charged to cash travellers cheques whilst on another day another didn't.

The facilities were poor. One washing machine for the entire hotel - the dryer didn't work. The resturant was ok.

Since the hotel was in the middle of a massive upgrade all the lifts were used by builders etc and it took 20 minutes to get to our hotel floor.

I spent my younger days back packing and this hotel would have been brilliant in that category but no more than that. I stayed in 10 hotels in Australia on my recent trip and this was by far the worst.

The only reedeming feature was the location - couldn't fault it. If it smartens itself up and employs staff who care - this hotel could make a fortune....

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank bristolwombat
Reviewed April 6, 2008

For our second visit to this great city we wanted a VFM hotel nearer to Circular Quay & Darling Harbour than last time when we were based in Kings Cross. We chose the location well. 5 mins walk from the speedy airport rail link and an easy stroll to the waterfront.
Room was a pefectly adequate base for the 6 nights we stayed there, and we would be happy to return.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2008

In January and February 2008 month my wife and
myself had the pleasure at staying here while we planned and returned from our New Zealand Cruise, the room
was very clean and newly appointed; more then adequate for our needs. The Staff at the front desk on several occasions went beyond the call of duty to assist and meet our needs beyond our expectations ---single beds became a king bed in less then an hour, bags where stored with interest and assistance in our departure, assistance was given with internet problems that the kiosk could not attend to, taxi's were hailed from the curbside in amongst the construction and noise....a great staff team..all the right people in the right jobs..ensured great service...

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2008

I stayed at the Wynard travelodge when travelling on business and if you can't afford the Four Seasons but want to stay near the harbour for a reasonable cost this is the place for you.
I stayed up on the 21st floor at the front of the hotel - with a view of the park and the York st buildings. Decent sized room - big for Travelodge - and COMPLETELY refurbished - everything in this room is brand spanking new - shiny tiles, shiny sheets and towels even a shiny new soap holder. A large rainforest showerhead, pretty standard/ usual toiletries, brand new flat LCD tv, broadband internet connection, ironing board, mini bar, HEAPS of storage, block out blinds - GREAT firm pillows.
The only thing was that there was a vending machine outside my room door and things in there were half the price or less of the mini bar prices. Room service - pretty standard but OK. The gym room was empty of all equipment - but the TV was operating - so I suppose you could it on the floor and watch the 24hours of continuous TV in a big empty room.
Being up high I had very little street noise and despite being practically on top of Wynyard Railway there was no train noise. Taxis and buses literally at the door.
Service can be a bit hard to get - it's nice but at checkout in the morning there was only 1 woman and a long queue
What can I say - great price, great location, great stay

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business