“Nice Hotel Close to Opera House and Darling Harbour” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard

Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard
Ranked #94 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
“Nice Hotel Close to Opera House and Darling Harbour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We found hotel room nice and clean. Breakfast was good as well. Walking distance to everything you need to see in CBD Sydney. Had a good experience with Airbus Shuttles to and from hotel. Walking in each direction is easy. Check in staff were friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear ScottyBee

Thank you very much for your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Sydney.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Starting with requiring me on my arrival at 8pm to wait while my manager in Melbourne was made to fax through an authorisation to charge the credit card she'd quoted on the online booking, my stay did not improve. The room air con was set to a freezing 5 degrees and smelled strongly of mould (as others have noted). The bed (as others have noted) was rock hard. As were the pillows. The rooms are 'cozy' at best (as others have noted). Only shutters on the windows, so no privacy (as others have noted) unless you like to live in the dark. Despite being on the side away from the street, it was very noisy (as others have noted), with garbage collection at 6 in the morning. The shower flow is minimal (as others have noted). And as a solo traveller, it would be nice to have a half bottle or piccolo wine to choose from - not just a 750ml bottle.

Buffet breakfast was included for just two dollars, but it wasn't good value even at that price. Both mornings, the 'hot' food was at best lukewarm (and I'm being kind!), the berry comppte dry (not even sure how they achieved that), and the coffee ordinary. Pancakes and fresh fruit were better.

All in all, I really hope I never have to stay here again. Unfortunately, it's a 2 minute walk to our Sydney office, and inexpensive by Sydney standards, so I fear I will have to suffer the Wynyard Travelodge again. I suggest other travellers avoid it - you'd be better off in a backpackers.

And please, 'my bad' is NOT an appropriate way to speak to guests. Once I put down to youthful exuberance. The second (and a different staff member) bad management.

Room Tip: Ask to smell the room before checking in
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ArtThere
Dear ArtThere,

Thank you very much for sharing your detailed feedback.

In regards to the booking, it is not legal for us to charge a credit card that is "quoted" on the booking unless we receive a written document from the credit card holder. We do have advance purchase facility on our website which will allow you to pre-pay the accommodation, thus avoiding the authorization document.

During periods of extremely hot weather we switch on the air-conditioners in the guest rooms to ensure that when our guests check-in the room is not very hot which would take a while to get the room back to an acceptable temperature. I apologize if the temperature of your room was too cold, it should have been set at 19 degrees. I encourage all guests to contact us immediately if anything regarding their stay is not of their liking, we will then take action to ensure the stay is enjoyable, again I apologise for the issues your experienced with your room.

I have spoken to our Head Chef in regards to buffet temperature and quality and he has personally monitored this area.

Please accept my apologies for the inappropriate way in which the team addressed you. I have taken steps to ensure this does not happen again.

Next time you stay with us can I please ask that you contact me directly on vfaisca@travelodge.com.au so I can personally apologize and ensure you enjoy your stay.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here for three nights, got train from International Airport and then walked with our luggage - pretty easy :)
Location was absolutley ideal - walking distance to Darling Harbour.
Got a great price through Expedia - would definatley stay again.
Ate breakfast their every morning was SO good - pretty busy though but the staff are straight on to replenishing all buffet items constantly.
Had a dinner there as well and was pretty good also.

One of the things I like about Trip Advisor as that you are forewarned so you can expect certain things... There were numerous posts about the slow lifts so I didn't expect to be surprised by them but Holy COW they are actually ridiculous. We were three or four floors from the top and chose to just walk down the stairs each morning as it was quicker than waiting for the lift but there was no way I was walking back up them after pounding the pavements of Sydney all day, On check out morning we honestly waited longer than 20 minutes, I do believe that they are in process of upgrading the lift system

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear BelindaJane

Thank you so much for sharing your positive feedback.

I will pass your comments regarding breakfast on to the Food & Beverage team. They will be delighted I'm sure.

In regards to the lifts, we were undergoing an upgrade when you stayed with us back in August but you will be pleased to hear that it is now completed and that all delays have been eliminated.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed so many nights with Travelodge but this is the first time stay at this one.
This 4 star one is not better than the 3.5 star one near museum. Wall is thin - you can hear your next door taking shower and slapping the door. The most terrible thing is the air-con is so loud and I feel like I am on the plane. I had to turn it off before go to bed but I still can hear the air-con noise from somewhere else (maybe next door).
They also have strict control of air-con degree - the one in the room doesn't work. I bet they have central control. This is a problem I found with the other travelodge hotel. The room temp was good on the extreme day (40 degree) but the next day, I couldn't keep my room as cold as previous day.
Hotel is quite old and lots of things in the room need proper maintain. Carpet is dirty, bath is old and looks not clean. There are dirt here and there in the bathroom.
Staff is friendly and nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear flymanmel

Thank you very much for your review.

I have taken note of your comments and have passed them on to our team so we can improve on the areas you mention. I am sure we can.

I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay and I truly hope you can give us another opportunity next time you stay in Sydney.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

Awful! Mouldy old bathroom, no room to move! Walls of the rooms so thin I was woken at 4 by the alarm on one side, followed by the awful noise of the pies groaning as they showered, then the equally pleasant noise of the crappy hotel hair dryer! Repeat at 6 on other sides bedroom! Now it's midnight and the sound of next doors tb is keeping me wide awake. Relaxing? No! A hotel should NOT have clients in this situation..... I have 4 more nights of this rubbish!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Unhappy_stayer_today
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Unhappy_stayer_today,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your stay with us.

We encourage all our guests to report any issue that is not of their liking immediately. We can then take action to ensure the satisfaction of our guests. We have a Duty Manager at reception 24/7 that can handle any requests or issues that may arise. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Can I please ask that you contact myself directly at reception so I can ensure you room moved to a quieter room and enjoy your stay.

Look forward to meeting you.

Kind regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

The good:
Location was great, right in Sydney CBD close to Wynyard train station, supermarket Coles close by. Price we paid was good for busy time of year (we booked last minute). Staff were friendly and polite.

The bad:
Rock hard bed which made for an uncomfortable sleep, shower water pressure almost non-existent (it's just a trickle meaning you're in there three times as long to wash out the shampoo etc in your hair), water temperature very difficult to get right.

Normally I look into my accomodation more thoroughly before I book (eg read reviews on tripadvisor) but on this occasion we were after a cheap enough hotel in Sydney CBD, in peak season. Only booked a few days before arrival so a lot of the better places were sold out. Stayed here nearly a week.

It was the sort of trip where you only really need a decent bed and a decent shower. Sadly for us these were lacking at this hotel. For this reason, we would not stay here again.

This in an older hotel that has been partially refurbished, but still feels dated (think orange armchairs from the 1970's, ancient duvet cover that doesn't look like it is washed between stays, dated cushions. But the TV was LCD as it should be in this day and age.

It was not made clear that the "make up my room" sign needs to be out or your room won't get serviced. Strangely enough it was cleaned after our first night but learnt the hard way upon our return the next day.

Newspapers are NOT complimentary, but this was not mentioned till we checked out (after receiving 2 newspapers for 5 days). Luckily the guy checking us out let us off.

Lastly, we didn't know until the last night we stayed here that the rooms on the other side had better views, or we would have requested to change rooms (ours looked out onto rooftops). I mean, if you're going to pay for a week's accomodation (nearly a thousand dollars) I think they should give you a room on the better side of the hotel.

In saying that, we were on a high floor not facing the road so minimal noise which was a plus. The shutters were helpful but they still let in light through the cracks. But once you open the shutters during the day there was no privacy.

Despite the location being great, due to the hard beds and crappy shower, we will look into alternative accomodation on our next stay in Sydney CBD.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AklTraveler
Dear AklTraveler,

Thank you very much for sharing your detailed feedback.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us.

We actually have different types of bedding at the hotel and are always happy to change in order to meet guest's preference. The same applies for the view, some guests prefer the back of the building because it is quieter. We make every effort to make the guests stay enjoyable so I encourage guests to let us know what changes we can make to ensure they have a great stay.

I have taken note of your comments in regards to the shower and have our team investigating.

The hotel was refurbished 5 years ago and we are constantly improving the hotel.

Newspapers are available at reception and the restaurant complimentary for our guests. If you wish for the newspaper to be delivered to your room you will incur the cost of the newspaper. I apologise if this was not explained on check-in.

I hope you can give us an opportunity to show you our true Travelodge service next time you visit Sydney.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel is a very good choice and in a good location to start your Sydney sightseeing. Just a short walk to circular quay and shops/cafes conveniently reachable. The room size is big enough to also feel comfortable if you stay in the entire day in case of bad weather and the staff was very friendly, efficient and helpful with luggage and in terms of questions concerning sightseeing directions. There is hardly any noise from the traffic surrounding the building hence the windows have a good isolation. Would def book it again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mandmspore,

Thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Sydney.