“Good staging point for your sydney day trips” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard
Ranked #94 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Good staging point for your sydney day trips”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Sydney is an expensive city even at the best of times. So trying to rate anything in my home city is difficult to review especially for international visitors based on true value for money. So let me say that the Travelodge for Sydney priced standards was reasonable. (i imagine for some international guests you will think it is way over priced, which it is....but thats the price of things in this city.....very expensive).

The hotel is based in the north of the city, so the area is fairly quiet but you will get some traffic noise. Its not far from here to some of the major attractions of Sydney including the Quay and The Rocks, the Opera House and Domain and only a short walk to the major shopping district.

The staff are polite and efficient and the rooms were sufficiently comfortable and quiet. Breakfast had a reasonable selection for money.

Would i stay again, no. Would i recommend it to first timers to Sydney on a budget... yeah, but you could find equivalents or slightly better for around the same money.

Room Tip: stay up higher levels to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Flyteoficarus,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback.

I'm disappointed that you do not intend to stay with us again but if you do reconsider please feel free to contact me directly so I can ensure you have a great experience with us.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cairns
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I really don't know where to begin. This was arguably the worst hotel experience of my life.

From the first night we knew that this was not going to be a good time. We were awoken rudely at midnight by violent pounding on the door by a group of people with loud cheering. When we approached the staff, we were told they would look at the security footage (there was a camera outside near the door) but when we went back to the staff we weren't told of any outcome and simply provided the excuse of "people like to have fun on the weekends". That should have been the first warning.

The rooms themselves are small, the beds old and uncomfortable (lumpy) the windows were very thin and not in any way able to keep out the noise from the street, which was very loud (I live in a 4th floor apartment and am used to city noise), to the point we kept checking the top window to see if it had been opened (it never was). The noise from adjoining rooms was quite loud, conversations could be overheard, and much more (unpleasantly).

The fridge was absolutely tiny. It was filled to overflowing with minibar items which had to be removed in order to fit any personal things in. The fridge door was broken and nothing could be stored in it without falling out when opening the door, and finally the fridge itself took up about 1/4 of the volume of the cupboard it was in, pretty much useless.

The television in the room had most channels, and a few cable channels. The in house movies never worked, some channels were snow, which was pretty boring but unimportant to anyone except those who spend more than an hour in their room doing anything other than sleeping, showering or getting dressed.

The water restrictor in the shower reduced it to a paltry trickle, and it was a case of dancing under the shower to get clean, any attempt by the hotel to save water by using less is negated by the fact I had to spend three times longer under it to get enough water to wash off the soap.

There is no wireless internet, only very expensive cable access in the rooms themselves (forget hooking up anything other than a laptop/desktop up) or an internet cafe in the foyer. The staffs attitude is reprehensible, when inquired about the response given was "There is internet access as advertised, we never said it was free" which was a disgusting response.

The best kept rooms were actually the gym and laundry on the top floor which were quite obviously recently refurbished, that being said the dryers were constantly broken.

The last straw however was when we had organised an extension to the room and paid for it a month in advance (a requirement to book the room at the discount rate), there was no record of this and we had to pay again in order to not have to spend the night on the street. Not only this, but the staff were entirely uncooperative and unsympathetic to our displeasure. The end result was clear intimidation by the burliest of staff who used measured non verbal intimidation to get the hotels way. Nobody was capable of dealing with an unhappy guest, there was no attempt to acknowledge my issue and offer to look into it, there was only dumb innocence and an attitude of "pay up or leave" and finally intimidation to resolve the issue in their favour. This issue I have begun to follow up with corporate.

I am so glad to be home where I can finally get a nights sleep which I desperately need after this ordeal. I have now removed Travelodge as a preferred accommodation supplier for my company and would recommend others reconsider staying at the Travelodge Wynyard at the very least.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Kiint
Dear Kiint,

Thank you for sharing you feedback.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. As you have raised such a large number of issues, may I please ask that you email me further details to vfaisca@travelodge.com.au so I can investigate these matters further.

I am particularly interested in details with regards to the team members you spoke with because as you can see on the vast majority of the feedback on tripadvisor regarding our team is very positive.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Graz, Austria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Travelodge Wynyard Sydney is located directly close to central Sydney and reachable by train from the airport easily. The rooms are large, the shower is good, there is no shower curtain. The window isolation is good, no noise could be heard. For breakfast, there are plenty of alternatives.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear pinta12

Thank you very much for sharing your positive feedback.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Gent, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We spent 4 nights at the beginning of July 2012. We were very pleased with our stay. The hotel is ideally located, with all the highlights within walking distance. We arrived very early and the staff was very friendly and did their best to accommocate though not much was possible (we got our room around noon instead of 2pm). We definitely recommend the Travelodge Wynyard and would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GhentFamily
Dear GhentFamily

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your feedback.

I am delighted you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

great ideal location easy walking distance to both darling harbour and the opera house/harbour bridge. Any british booking don't be put off with it being a travelodge, they are nothing like ours, toiletries provided serviced everyday, gym laundrette on site. only fault is you have to pay for internet access which wouldn't be so bad but it's very slow!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Teapot1972,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

We hear your comment on comparing us with Travelodge in the UK quite a lot. We are a 4* full service hotel which is quite deferent to the Travelodge brand in the UK.

I look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit Sydney.

sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the Travelodge on a Friday night and whilst in a quiet room on a high floor at the rear of the building, I was profoundly dissapointed with the room. The sliding shutters on the windows facing the west were not functioning, and hence the night light from the opposite office buildings came straight into the room no matter how I adjusted the shutters. As a result I was disturbed throughout the night by the light streaming into the room and slept badly.

The bathroom was clean with nice full size bath towels, however because the hotel is quite old the bathroom is unbelievably cramped. To enter the shower, the bathroom door must be almost shut in order to access the bath. Older occupants would find access to the bath quite difficult in those circumstances, I think.

The price range is however quite reasonable in a city which is becoming very expensive for even average hotel accommodation . So I will probably stay there again only to reduce my overnight hotel cost given I was unable to get a reasonable room price at a better hotel elsewhere in the city centre.

Room Tip: At the rear on an upper floor is important for quietness.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pittjohn
Dear pittjohn

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

I'm sorry you didn't get a good night sleep and I can assure you that I will look in to this matter further.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your return.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

The hotel staff are nice and helpful and the location is great. It's a minute walk from Wynyard train station. But unfortunately these are the only good things about this hotel and the rest was really disappointing. The rooms are very old and need serious refurbishment. We stayed there one night and the bathroom was so old and unpleasant that we totally avoided taking a shower which was really uncomfortable. If you want to to get a grasp of how old the rooms are just try to open the blinds! there's not much view to go for anyways (our room was on level 8). May be the worst thing about the room was the fridge cabinet that stunk with a moldy smell that was really unbearable. the beds were comfortable although a bit short and the internet was too expensive. We had to leave our luggage for a few hours after check out. their facilities for keeping luggage was very organized and helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ban1981
Dear Ban1981,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

I'm sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay, the hotel was totally refurbished 5 years ago and we are continuously upgrading and improving our facilities. I have taken note of your concerns and will be investigating and actioning accordingly.

Thank you for your comment on our staff, I will be sharing it with them at our next team meeting.

Look forward to welcoming you back.