“A little known gem”

Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard
Ranked #95 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We arrived at Sydney at 6:20am on a Monday morning this month without pre-booking any accommodation. I recommend this hotel very highly. The duty manager, Michael, was able to accommodate us at such short notice and while we waited for our room, which we were able to check into straight away, we had a lovely buffet breakfast at the small restaurant, Citrus Grove, within the hotel. The restaurant itself is a find, very reasonable prices and beautifully prepared food, even if you are not staying at the hotel.

Only 5-10 minutes walk to Circular Quay and the Opera House.

Wynyard station is right near the hotel and is one of the stops for the airport train. Also connects well with the city rail network.

The rooms were very neat and clean, and the rooms with a view of the city have nice views over the streets below, but keep the noise out.

A home away from home if ever there was one, with all the convenience of an inner city hotel.

All the staff are friendly and nice, and very professional and obliging.

Would suit a business traveller, a family on holidays or a solo traveller.

In summary this was a very nice hotel and a very nice stay, and we would like to thank the hotel staff for making our stay in Sydney very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the main street, some rooms look onto another building nearby.
1  Thank 302aussietraveller
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear 302aussietraveller,

Thank you very much for taking your time to leave your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

It is always a great pleasure to hear from guests that feel at home when they stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you are impressed with the comfortable accommodation and the friendly staff I have shared your comments with the Travelodge Team.

Please feel free to contact me on your next stay with us.

Once again, thank you for your great feedback, and we will always look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Kind Regards
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,318)

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Normal city centre hotel with standard hotel features, seemed always busy with large tour groups.

Standard buffet style breakfasts with hot selection of cooked food. Fried eggs cooked by chef as required which was good.

For some reason the bed in the room I was in was fitted on large 3 inch wheels, unfortunately every time I moved the bed did a "Wheely" across the floor, then the pillows fell between the bed and wall. Good job I was not on honeymoon otherwise we would be in the next room on our night of passion together.

The room safe was in a stupid position on the wardrobe floor. Every time I wanted to lock or unlock the safe I had to kneel down on the floor to do this. Good job I am not in my senior senior years or otherwise I would never got up from the floor.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear the_baron1

Thank you for your recent stay at the hotel and, thank you for taking your time to share your feedback.

I am glad to inform you that the hotel in constantly undergoing refurbishment and renovations including the replacement of beds and re-positioning of the low access safe.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards
Hotel Management

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at Travelodge for the first time. It was ordinary I guess, the rooms looked quite old but the king bed was nice and comfortable. The service was average as well. I'm not sure what the usual views for other rooms are but ours was just other building. It is great spot for getting into the city, bus stop, train station right in front of you. If I have a choice I may not stay there again but ill definitely go back to the Medina!!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Whateverr
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Whateverr,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Travelodge Wynyard and for taking your time to share your feedback with us.

It appears that we were not able to meet your expectation during your stay. I do sincerely apologize that for that.

Please contact me directly on your next trip to stay in Sydney at vfaisca@travelodge.com.au so we can endeavour to change your mind about the Travelodge Wynyard being ordinary and average.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Great location 50m from Wynard train station, a block from George Street so you cannot get better. Rooms are medium size but well equiped. Bathrooms a little dated and rooms that side on to the alley way likely to have trucks reversing up it from 6am.
Service at reception is good and nice little foyer sitting area
Probably give this a 3.5/5 as the price and location make it.

Room Tip: West side rooms quieter I would think as the other side has the alleyway
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Hammercounty

Dear Hammercounrty,

Thank you for very much for taking the time to give us your feedback of your recent stay at the Travelodge Wynyard.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed you stay with us, and that the friendly staff were to your satisfaction.

The Reception Team would have been more than happy to move you to a higher floor if the noise was too frustrating during your stay. I hope that noise experience will not keep you from coming back to stay with us again. Please contact me directly for your next booking vfaisca@travelodge.com.au

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Staying in Sydney for a friends wedding we decided to choose the City for convenience and my wife booked the Wynyard Travelodge.
Upon checking in and being passed the security pass/key my wife asked "what room number" to be told "it's on the card" in a curt tone.

So, up to the room and unpack and hang our clothes that we brought for the wedding. But wait, the "sliding" wardrobe doors don't actually slide as they are off the tracks, so I endeavour to rehang on the tracks, but impossible as they are not hung from the top. So, each time we wished to use the double wardrobe doors we had to exert great effort as they were sliding off tracks and on the internal floor.

So, let's get some natural light, but wait!!! Same problem as the wardrobe doors. The sliding timber shutters are off their tracks and take a great effort to force them to open to get any natural light into the room.

Seems warm so we turn the air conditioning down ie cooler. No result. Plus, we are convinced they turn the entire system off during the night as there is no air movement whatsoever coming out of the vent.

Our sleep is made more difficult by hearing the ablutions in the room above!!
The cleaner/housekeeper trolley opposite our front door in the corridor for 3 nights in a row was not only a fire escape hazard but made it difficultto get luggage past.

All in all our only conclusion is that the management/owners of this establishment cannot care about their product or hospitality......the business they are meant to be in.

3  Thank Noel W

Dear Noel W

Thank you for your recent stay at the Travelodge Sydney, and thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us.

It troubles me hear that the hotel did not live up to your expectations and would like to apologise for your experience .

Please could you send me an e-mail to vfaisca@travelodge.com.au, so we can further discuss and investigate the issues you experienced with us.

I hope that this experience will not keep you from coming back to stay with us again.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Location Location Location. You can't go wrong with choosing Travelodge Wynard as your preferred hotel for a Sydney city stay.

Boasting a Central location to the city's major attractions and conveniently situated near Wynard Station, I found this hotel to be everything it proclaims to be.

Secure Parking was conveniently located in the same building leaving both my daughter and I feeling quite safe as we made our way to the lifts, bound for reception. We found all staff members, that we dealt with, to be extremely friendly, attentive and courteous. I was even pleasantly surprised when I was greeted by a staff member that I passed down the street, and they had already finished their shift!

The room itself was a reasonable size and presentation was excellent. Bathrooms were also very clean and well equipped. Beds were comfortable with good linen. Tea and coffee making facilities and all our basic needs at our disposal.

Like most inner Sydney hotels the views are of mainly of other buildings which we found quite interesting to observe the architecture and very pretty watching them light up at night. The windows also have block out shutters and air conditioning worked well. Whilst we didn't actually have an opportunity to dine in the restaurant or cafe the option is available to all guests as is the internet cafe.

Sydney is a busy city so expect some traffic noise at any time of the day. I can honestly say I had a really good's night sleep and a enjoyable stay, even without using all the facilities available to me as a guest. Definitely value for money.

I would highly recommend staying at the Travelodge Wynard and I am already looking forward to our next stay.

2  Thank uandmejustus2

Dear earvela,

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the hotel. I would also like to thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel as well as the location and, very pleased to hear that the friendly staff lived up to your expectations and that you will return to stay with us again.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Please feel free to contact me on your arrival, as I would personally like to thank you for your comments.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Centrally located, 15 minutes steady walking to Central Quays, Bridge and Opera House although some slight hills to negotiate. Good sized comfortable room. Ample places to eat nearby. Did not eat in hotel restaurant so can't comment.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mal3011

Dear Mal3011,

I am delighted to hear that you are impressed with the comfortable accommodation.