“Great location, not such a great hotel”

Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard
Ranked #98 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The front desk service and the location are great. The building itself is old and not as well mantained. While the room was clean, the air conditioning in our room did not work, it was early spring but it was very hot in the rooms, Sydney was about 75 at that time. The bathroom had a bit of mold but not as bad as our other friends, their bathroom was very bad covered with mold. The food in their restaurant was very expensive, but since they are in such great location, you are able to find good places to eat that are less pricey. They have coin operated computers with internet access in the front lobby and wireless connection for a small fee in the bedrooms. While the hotel is non smoking, the smokers gathered by the front door and it really reeks like smoke as soon as the door is open.

Room Tip: We were on one of the top floors, a bit noisy but not enough to disturb your sleep. Had some partial...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank CSkuza
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2012

Dear CSkuza,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

You have raised some important issue that I will be addressing with our Housekeeping & Maintenance teams. I will also be taking steps to prevent smokers from gathering at the front door.

Once again thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard

Reviewed November 21, 2011

Hotel is located a short stroll to all major locations and areas of Sydney. Rooms are clean and staff are very friendly.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R_Gray_10
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2011

Dear freedombird,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed Sydney and in particular the Travelodge Wynyard.

Look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Sydney

Reviewed November 16, 2011

Stayed here for work in October. I found my room to be clean and comfortable. I enjoyed being able to open my window at night to get some air. It was a bit noisy but I didn't mind listening to the sounds of the city. Breakfast was very good with hot food at the buffet and constantly refilled. I think it was the busiest hotel I have stayed at, probably because the price is right for Sydney. The only minus was the lifts. The hotel was full one of the nights I was there and the lifts were busy. I was on the 16th floor and waited 1/2 an hour. Another guest chose the stairs it was so long! The next day not so busy and no waiting.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Dear freedombird

Thank you for your feedback.

Your comments in regards to the breakfast will be much appreciated by our Food & Beverage team.

You will be pleased to know that we will be upgrading our lifts shortly to make them more efficient and therefore reducing any waiting times that may occur at peak periods.

Once again, thank you for your feedback

Reviewed November 15, 2011

I traveled to Sydney with my mother, and we stayed at the Travelodge Wynyard for 3 nights in early November. The hotel is in a great location, its easy to get to from the train station, and its a good price for the area. Our room was very clean, and had tea and coffee making facilities. I had paid for breakfast in advance, and thought the breakfast was very good. I also found the reception staff to be extremely helpful and pleasant. The only downside I found was that the hotel was extremely busy when I stayed. I think they may have had a couple of coach trips at that time. There was always a queue at reception, a queue at the lift, and breakfast was absolutely packed. The staff looked absolutely run ragged, and worked so hard. They were always extremely helpful, though. The hotel is within an easy walk of both Darling Harbour and Circular Quays. So I would recommend this hotel, but it was particularly peaceful when we were there.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank slowrunnerHampshire

Dear slowrunnerHampshire

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

We are a very busy hotel at times but always strive to provide the best guest service, it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

We stayed here for six nights in Sydney back in September 2011.

The very best thing about this place is its location. You can walk or hop a train at Wynyard station to go anywhere you need to be. Many tourist attractions are very convenient, no train required. The room was clean, nicely remodeled, and refreshed daily at our leisure. A few days we were in the room when the cleaning staff came by, but they were happy to return when we stepped out. The room overall was fairly cramped with minimal space to walk and the bed was perhaps a full or a double, not even a queen. A bit tight for two, to be honest, but I suppose that’s all in what you’re accustomed to. The bathroom was large but had no vanity except for a tiny 3”x10” glass tray mounted to the wall. Obviously not meant to cater to anyone who has anything they need to use at the bathroom sink besides a toothbrush. Like a cosmetics bag, perhaps? All of that I could live with, particularly for the stellar price when considering where you’re located, but two things drove me batty about this place. First is the Internet service. It was $11 for the first ½ hour or $22 for a full day. That’s just highway robbery. Do yourself a favor, go across the street to Starbucks and pay for their internet for a far more reasonable rate ($6/day). The other thing was the NOISE. If you think you’ll be able to sleep in at this hotel, think again. I don’t know if the windows are made of paper, but from the 7th floor I could hear all sorts of traffic noise, people talking on the sidewalks, even the audible crosswalk alert – from my closed windows seven floors up and around the corner (we were NOT street facing). The sound through the closed door wasn’t much better. I could hear every word of conversations going on in the hallway.

The bottom line: You get what you pay for. If you want to see Sydney on a budget and can put up with a few inconveniences to do so, this might be the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Stephanie A

Dear Lacey_U

Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and have taken note of your comments. In regards to the internet, I understand it can be expensive in Australia when compared with USA and will look in to this further.

Look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed November 6, 2011

the bed for the third person in a triple room is terrible with a sofa convertible. the room is not any larger and is terribly small - the service staff were not helpful when being approached and sounded proud when being questioned for directions and Internet options

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Zayden_Zhong

Dear ric78,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

Free Internet is not a service that is offered by the Travelodge brand in Australia so I do apologize if you expected this as a standard.
I am disappointed that the customer service that you experienced was not up to standard. I can assure you that this is no a Travelodge standard and that we are constantly training and updating our teams to improve in this area.

Please accept my apologies for that and if you could contact me directly with further details on your stay it would assist me in improving our service.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

My husband and I just recently stayed here and the location is very good. Although this is an old hotel the rooms are renovated, small but servicable and really nice. It is very clean and staff are friendly and helpful with tourist maps and information. This hotel is great value for a stay in Sydney. There is a major bus depot close by and the train is a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. At Circular Quay you can catch the ferry to multiple destinations. Circular Quay and The Rocks area is about a 12 minute walk from the hotel. When visiting the historic Rocks area drop into the Billich Gallery (free), definitely worth a visit and Pam the manager is very friendly and makes the visit more interesting seeing the works of Charles Billich. Gallery is located at 106 George St. Also for scrumptious cakes visit La Renaissance patissiere at 47 Argyle Street. The shop looks tiny from the front but there is a courtyard out back. There was also a market in Argyle Street on the Saturday. Friday night live music and drinks at The Mercantile Hotel and drinks at sunset try the Glenmore hotel rooftop- you wont be disappointed.
I visit Sydney regularly and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carri_10

Dear Carri_10

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Sydney