“Great location”

Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard
Ranked #97 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We booked this hotel through a 'Wothotel?' special because we couldn't decide where to stay in Sydney. We were bound by $150 cap due to friends of ours being on a budget, so to get the room for $165 on the deal was pretty good. The rooms are small and there is no real view, but it was clean and comfortable. The best part was being 50m from the train station and a quick walk from just about everywhere in the city. Staff were efficient and friendly.
Overall a good hotel in a great location. Would definitely stay again if it was a quick trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,384)

Reviewed July 29, 2011

The room was small and the view ... of the building next door not great.

Because there is so many high rise building around , there is no natural light in the rooms or at least not mine. So felt dark and grey , very closed in .

The bed was comfy and the bathroom ok .

The staff were pleasant .

We didn't eat at the hotel.

The parking , not too bad because we had hired a mini but i think anything bigger and it would have been a squeeze !

It was cheap and location was good.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheGirls17
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I only stayed in this hotel for a night on business and was disappointed. For a standard four star hotel in the city there isn't much to differentiate them - it really is about the small things. So I'll start with the 'misses'... the bed was rock hard - it was like sleeping on the floor. The jug in the room didn't work and so when all I wanted in the ten minutes before leaving the room was a quick cup of tea it was really irritating not to be able to have one. The shower was dreadful - the pressure wasn't great and the temperature kept changing… from scalding one minute to cool the next (I assume it had to do with other people on the floor using their taps - but who knows). The towels were small and pretty threadbare.

On the plus side the room was quiet and the drapes were heavy allowing for a good nights sleep (if the bed wasn't so hard!). I can't comment on food, room service or anything else of that nature because I checked in at 9:30pm and checked out at 8am.

1  Thank aussiegirl77
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel is in a great location for tourists and business people alike. Litrerally a few short steps away from Wynyard train station which is one station away from Circular Quay where the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and Rocks are located. Likewise its only one station away from Town Hall which is above the beautiful Queen Victoria Building and the main shopping precinct of David Jones, Myer, etc etc. Although it's just as easy to walk to all those destinations. Underground Wynyard Station are eateries and a Coles and Woolworths supermarkets, chemist, newsagent, great shops etc. Right opposite the hotel is Starbucks. The hotel room was of average size with usual appointments. Quiet and clean. Great value taking into consideration being so central. Highly recommend it.

2  Thank LaughingKookaburra
Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel was fine -- room was clean, decent size. Bathroom and some of the in-room features were very dated. The ironing board was something out of the '60s -- but who chooses a hotel based on its ironing board? All in all, it was a fine stay, just nothing special enough to warrant a better-than-average rating.

1  Thank Copyedster
Reviewed July 23, 2011

This is a nice hotel. Its 4 star and I think this is pretty spot on. We stayed here 3 nights and got the deal on their website for a 3 night stay in an executive room. We chose this as the room is on a high floor.

We are glad we did as I can only imagine the noise from lower floors. But in any case, those rooms are cheaper, so if you like a bit more quiet choose the executive rooms otherwise don't complain.

Another one I've heard is that the bathrooms are small. Yes I guess they are but .. its a bathroom! For a couple its fine. You are not making a cake in there. But what I'd like to say is I wish hotels would include a ceiling fan in there, for obvious reasons. There is a vent but I haven't actually seen a hotel which has one in the bathroom.

I was really impressed with the view facing York street. I thought I'd be looking directly onto another building. I could see the river, the tower and watch the "workers" rush around like ants below.

Check in and out was simple. We were able to leave our bags in a secure room while we picked up the hire car. We came back and could park our car in their car park for free. But yes, its small so don't use this car park if you have anything like a 4WD!!

Anyway, a nice stay and perfect location.

Room Tip: Book the executive room on cheap tuesdays
1  Thank Cloudburst77
Reviewed July 21, 2011

My partner and I just arrived after a 10 day stay in Australia. We went to Sydney for the first 5 days and Melbourne for the other five. In Sydney, we stayed in the Travelodge, Wynyard. We had an enjoyable stay and would return if we had the chance to travel to Australia once again. First off, it must be noted that the Travelodge is not a luxury hotel. It is more like a budget hotel in the middle of the tourist and financial district of the city. It is where you will see hundreds of tourists mixing with the thousands of very elegant men in suits going to work. It is extremely, extremely close to the Opera House, Harbour Bridge and the Rocks. Location can't be beat for the Travelodge price (We paid an average of US $125 a night, thanks to some Expedia promo.) In very expensive and I mean very, very expensive Sydney, it is an absolute bargain.

The room was small but had enough walking space to walk around. We had ample closet space and the room had a flat screen TV albeit small. There weren't many channels available. There's internet connection but for a fee. To solve the internet issue, we often went to McDonalds (not to eat) but to get free wi-fi connection or even better, the CUSTOMS HOUSE which is a public library a few steps away from the Opera HOUSE.

I stayed in a Travelodge in MOntreal last year and after that horiible, horrible place, I swore I wasn't going to stay in another Travelodge hotel. I was nervous about staying in their Sydney counterpart but after staying there on our most recent vacation, I highly recommend Travelodge Wynyard Sydney.

1  Thank first100countries
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2011

Dear first100countries

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed Sydney and in particular the Travelodge Wynyard.

Look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Sydney

Kind regards