“Fantastic & convenient location, but some areas of improvement required”

Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard
Ranked #94 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Adelaide
“Fantastic & convenient location, but some areas of improvement required”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Overall, this is a great hotel to base your trip when visiting Sydney. One block from Wynyard train station for getting to & from the airport. Walking distance to the harbor, the rocks, shopping, chinatown & darling harbor. Downsides of the hotel was lack of customer service, hard bed, the instant coffee (Starbucks was across the road which we frequented), no use of pool, couldn't get into gym & when checking out, again lack of customer service, was not asked how our stay was or for any feedback.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MelTravel72
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, June 26, 2011
Dear MelTravel72,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am disappointed that the customer service that you experienced was not up to standard. I can assure you that this is no a Travelodge standard and that we are constantly training and updating our teams to improve in this area.

Please accept my apologies for that and if you could contact me directly on vfaisca@travelodge.com.au with further details on your stay it would assist me in improving our service.

Look forward to welcoming you back to the Travelodge Wynyard next time you are in Sydney.

Kind regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 11, 2011

My first review of a hotel on here and perhaps a little biased as my travel is for work, so I’m not paying. Although I do stay in a number of hotels around the place so I have a fair idea what is good value and what is not. I have stayed at this property 5 times over the last 12 months on business mostly 3 - 4 nights at a time and have just booked again for next week.

Check in is usually busy when I get there. I have to wait most times but not for long as the check in counter is one of the most efficient I have seen at a Sydney hotel.

Lifts are reasonable fast and never too crowded. I have never had to wait long and they don't take long to get even to the 20th floor. (Tip if you room service dinner - They put the daily specials on a sheet in the lift and you can order it through room service. I always check it out)

Rooms are not huge but they are very well laid out and to me that is more important than a heap of space I will not need. I have only ever stayed in a standard room which has a Queen bed (very comfortable and not the zip together type), two tub chairs and a desk with chair, LCD TV (decent size too) and good lighting. The bathrooms are compact with shower over tub, basin and toilet all neatly packed in but still very usable. I'm a big guy and I have no trouble using the facilities. I’ve never had any trouble with water pressure or temperature.

Room Service has a good menu (along with the specials in the lift) and very prompt service. I’ve never waited longer than half an hour for a meal. Only downside is no Breakfast Room Service.

Restaurant is always clean and tidy. They are open early for breakfast and always have customers at night which is a good sign that the food is good. I mainly do room service dinner but the times that i have had dinner there I couldn’t fault the service or the food. At breakfast time there is a good selection of all the regular Buffet or Continental style items.
Gym, they have one and they have equipment in it that I have seen people using. Looks like modern equipment. I should be able to tell you more but I haven’t used it.
Checkout, See Check in. Same same.

Location, Perhaps the best feature of this hotel is the location, about 1 minute slow walk to Wynyard station. (barely get wet in the rain) Major Supermarkets very close by, perhaps 2 minutes. Good Coffee shops and Restaurants in the immediate area. I have also noticed that even though you are in the city it is pretty quite outside between 10pm and 6am so i always get a good night’s sleep. I have stayed here on holiday too and its a great location for everything the city has to offer. The Rocks, Circular Quay, Opera House and downtown shopping are all easy walking distance.

It will continue to be my choice for business and holiday in Sydney unless something changes.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Scottiec75
Dear Scottiec75,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel.

I understand you stay with us regularly so please let me know when you are next in town in order for me to greet you personally.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Excellent position, with easy walk into centre of town, Circular Quay, Opera House, Botanic Gardens
Next door to Wynyard Train station with access to all parts of Sydney
Opposite supermarket and in close proximity to many eating establishments

Room Tip: All rooms face main road but are not noisy
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnneJoyce
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed June 3, 2011

The room is a typical 3 star place the US would have. However the staff was friendly, the food in the restaurant lobby is AMAZING, and the Wynard Bus/Train station is less than a block away! The location is perfect for hopping on the train to Circular Quay (5 min trip tops). Also the Darling Harbour bay is just a quick walk north and you can get on the ferrys there and just cruise around.
I'm sure a hotel next to the bridge is awesome, but this was just the perfect location because you can get on the train so quick or walk down the street for a ferry. We will no doubt stay there the next time we go.
It wasn't too hot when we were there but getting the AC to work (we weren't sure how to work it) was a pain, but when we figured it out it was perfect.

Room Tip: Enter reason for stay on order
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cayci_3
vfaisca, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard, responded to this review, June 5, 2011
Dear Cayci_3,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We are delighted you enjoyed Sydney and the Travelodge Wynyard. I will ensure I your feedback is shared with all of our team. I'm sure the kitchen team will be thrilled with your comments on the food.

Look forward to welcoming you back to our property when you next visit Sydney.

Kind regards,
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed June 3, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a week on a business trip. It's located in Sydney CBD and close to Wynyard station. Because of it's location, it was easy to hire a taxi or hop on the train to get around. It's a 10 minute walk from circular quay, The Rocks, Harbour Bridge and the Opera House. For the shopaholics, Pitt Street is also just about a 10 minute walk away.
Rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable to sleep in. The bathroom, though a bit small was OK as well. Check in/check out was a breeze. The restaurant was also a good place to grab a bite(especially when it was raining outside.). The only small gripe was that the walls were not completely sound proof.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank eddie78
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We booked here on a "five night deal" which gave us a significant discount for the seven nights we stayed. We found the deal on needitnow.com.au
On these packages, they're not going to give us a room on a high floor with a view but rather sell the rooms on low floors with no view, so we were not surprised to get just such a room. It didn't matter; we were hardly ever in it.
It was fine, easily four star, flat screen TV, cable etc and one nice touch was the huge shower head in the bathroom.
Room service was prompt and the food excellent.
One con, and a big one, was the erratic air conditioning and I notice this has been mentioned in other reviews. Sometimes it worked, giving us air at the temperature we wanted. More often it gave us hot air unless we turned the dial down to something ridiculous like 12C, sometimes we had no air flow at all.
Some hotels like to reduce air flow in the dead of night assuming guests won't notice and this property did that every single night, so sleep quality was poor despite the comfortable furnishings. The room had no opening windows.
Would I stay there again? Yes, the convenience of being right in the CBD is hard to overstate but I'd pay extra for a room on a higher floor which faced York St, as they all seemed to have windows that would open.

Room Tip: Pay more for an opening window.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank linds4516
Dear linds4516,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

We always endeavor to make our guests as comfortable as possible so we do action any guest requests immediately. In your case, we could have moved you to a York St facing room which does have opening windows at your request. There is a small supplement for our Executive rooms that are located on the high floors but not for front facing Guest rooms.

Please contact me directly next time you come to Sydney so I can ensure you enjoy your stay thoroughly.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2011

Reception staff friendly and advised of hotel facilities on check in. Room was very clean, comfortable and nice and warm on a chilly Sydney night. Had dinner in the hotel restaurant. Service and food were great - and reasonably priced too. On check out staff asked if I would like my bag minded to enjoy the city. Would definitely stay again. And when in the city for the day would keep in mind the restaurant for lunch! Being so close to a train station, The Rocks and the Quay is a huge bonus.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank spacewaitress
Dear spacewaitress,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback.

Our team will be very happy to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.