“Excellent if you want city life and don't expect the Ritz”
Review of City Crown Motel

City Crown Motel
Ranked #163 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We have been staying here for over eight years and I thought it was time to write a review.

We go up to Sydney to go to the footy and go out at night, as well as the occasional performance and a bit of walking (working our way round the harbour). The motel is perfectly located, on the edge of Darlinghurst and Surry Hills, so you can walk to the SCG and SFS, Kings Cross, the bars of Oxford Street, Paddington and the CBD. Central Station is close but it's a fairly steep walk back up. this does make it noisy in the neighbourhood until quite late.

Car parking is limited but secure under the motel; you need to book in advance for a car space.

The owners and their staff are great. It's a hectic family-run business, so the owners are occasionally a little stressed/frazzled.

Ensuite shower, toilet and vanity, with soap and shampoo supplied.

Rooms are serviced daily except Sundays (the busiest turnover day) but if you want fresh towels or more toilet roll you only need to ask.

Aircons and TVs have all recently been changed, as far as we can tell; we haven't stayed in *every* room yet.

Staff on site 24 hours, so you can always check in.

The rooms are definitely on the basic side and storage space is limited, but we've always found the beds comfortable, the facilities serviceable and the room clean.

The only time the room wasn't spotless was when I found myself unexpectedly stuck in Sydney one evening. I called to check and the last room had gone, but was called back to be told that some members of a larger group had gone and the rest had asked to downsize. The duty manager tidied the room and changed the bed. I was so grateful!

No stairs, three floors plus car park basement, stairs up to reception/ground floor.

Great cafe attached.

Room Tip: Rooms face front/east (Crown Street - noisy with people passing by till late), side/north (Reservoir...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ConradHC

Reviewed June 5, 2012

my partner and i arrived the office looked in poor condition, once we got to our room the key wouldn't open the door we had the force it open. once inside we found the roof was falling apart, the shower tiles had cracks all over them,, the room smelt, the ledge outside looked unsafe, there were insects. after having a look at the room we decided not to stay. we went down stairs and asked for our money back we were told to come back later. when we came back later the guy at the office told us that the other person already gave our money back, and that we only went up there for a 'quicky' (5 mins really). he also claimed we used the shower and the bed (not true).
would not suggest this place to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank fly_angel93
Reviewed April 20, 2012

as if having a fabulous location, a really nice little room, and friendly and helpful staff wasn't enough... Chris, the owner, stepped in when our bags were lost and saved our trip. She made phone calls to the airlines and the baggage handlers and our bags were returned. We loved out time in Sydney and loved the City Crown!
The cafe would have been a nice cafe even if it wasn't attached to the motel.

Room Tip: Our room had a little patio which was great, we enjoyed a snack with wine in the afternoon.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GaelB241
Reviewed April 7, 2012

To be honest, I was pleased with this motel on first impressions. The owner is helpful and friendly, the location is fantastic, the cafe does superb food and coffee. Yes, the room is a little old and 'worn', but then, as long as it's clean and comfortable, that is fine. But that was the problem. On getting back from a gig in the evening I found a big cockroach had decided to move in. I decided to just live with it as I was exhausted and wanted to go to sleep. It had been a warm day, so I put on the air con to cool the room down a little. A few minutes later I hear a rush of water and, on turning the light back on, found that the air con was leaking... a lot. I went down to get the night watchman. He did come to my room with a can of bug spray and he did place the bin under the air con, but that was it. I got to spend the rest of the evening hearing the air con drip away and keeping an eye out for the cockroach (I ended up 'sleeping' with the light on both nights I was there - I don't like cockroaches). I told the owner the next day and she apologised, giving me a complimentary breakfast at the cafe. I suppose that was some compensation, but I am afraid not enough to make me stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Andi_L255057
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The central location and the chap on reception were nice but that is it as far as good comments.
My room smelt very weird (almost overpowering) and when i arrived at the airport my suitcase still smelt of the room. The room itself looked relatively clean on the surface but was still felt dirty and you wouldn't want to sit on anything. The WIFI wouldn't work in my room at all and i was told that its because my laptop is too new (total rubbish). This is most likely one of the excuses when anyone complains.
I never normally consider writing a review as most places are either ok or good however i felt i had to after staying there.
Basic and dated would be nice.
It is one of the worst places i have ever stayed in,

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank 221MikeM
Reviewed March 27, 2012

This little motel was perfect for my needs. I stayed here to attend a conference. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, shower hot and the TV great! It didn't bother me that my room did not have a view as I was only in the room to sleep. I was able to walk at night very close to the hotel to get a brilliant dinner and a late night coffee (which was great tasting, I might add). During the day I was able to go for a pleasant stroll and found an awesome park and brilliant shops! The staff could not be more helpful and warm. There were an abundance of free DVDs and great free wifi.
The hotel is old and the walls to the rooms thin so you hear what is going on outside BUT if you sleep well then don't let this deter you from all the positives surrounding this motel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kate O
Reviewed January 23, 2012

we didn't book accomodation for our Sydney trip and we were desperate to find a room for a few days. everything seemed to be full but then luckly we found this motel. not extremely central but very close to Oxford st. it was clean, comfortable and the staff was very friendly. also attached to the building there is a beautiful caffee where you can get a great breakfast. i would reccomend this anyone and i cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple