“Room is good”

Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel
Ranked #67 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed here a couple of times.
Room is a bit dark doesn't have much natural light. But location is great. We always love world square. There are so many choices for food.
If we have to be back we will.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerWorldSquare, Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Dear Patty831
I am sorry to hear that the lighting in your room did not meet with your expectation and please accept my apology for any inconvenience caused to you.
It is great to hear that you love Rydges World Square and on your next visit if the lighting is not to your expectation please let us know and we will ensure a room with lighting that will meet with your expectation.
Thank you for your feedback.

Ali Ulus

Write a ReviewReviews (2,154)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Booked through the 'Entertainment book' online so we received a small discount. We were close to everything and was able to walk to everything in the cbd. Breakfast was not included in the price so we ate elsewhere. The room was basic as they come. They woke us up early one morning with the fire alarm and we didn't receive any compensation. No one offered to help us with our bags. We stayed there 6 nights and they couldn't care less. We paid for convenience but lost out on everything else.

• Stayed: February 2014
ManagerWorldSquare, Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Hello Simone T,

I am sorry for the issue of being woken up early in the morning by the fire alarms and the inconvenience caused to you. The alarms are in fact for your safety and a warning that there is an emergency situation.
I am very surprised to hear that the staff did not assist with your luggage as our Concierge team are very attentive and always receive complimentary feedback, I have discussed your comments with our Head Concierge to ensure that it does not occur again in future.
Thank you for giving me your feedback and should you wish to discuss your issues further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed March 10, 2014

My wife and young daughter stayed at Rydges World Square in March 2014, with the main reason being that it was close to the Capitol Theatre on Haymarket where we would be watching "The Lion King". One thing that I have noticed about my previous stays Sydney is the lack of quality, value for money accommodation in the Sydney CBD, and unfortunately Rydges World Square also falls into this category.

When travelling as a couple, we often opt for hotels such as the Intercontinental or the Westin, but as we were a family travelling this time around I was after either a serviced apartment or a hotel with family facilities. In cities such as Melbourne there is a fantastic choice of both hotels and apartments in the CBD and nearby, but in Sydney what is on offer is often rundown and overpriced, so your choices are very limited.

I opted for the Rydges World Square "King Suite" that offered a separate lounge area and the option of a pull out sofa. At $363 per night this was not cheap compared to a king room that we could have gotten at the Intercontinental, but as I said I was more focussed on location so that we only had a short distance to walk with my young daughter through the city. We originally also booked parking as we thought that we would drive up for the weekend, but at $60 per 24 hours I considered this very overpriced and we opted to treat ourselves to flights instead.

We arrived at around 12:30pm and understandably our suite was not yet ready - check-in was stated as from 3:00pm so that was not a concern. The concierge happily took our two bags and advised that they would be waiting in our room when we returned. We attended the 2:00pm session of the Lion King and returned at around 4:30pm to check-in.

Our second meeting with check-in was with a grumpy "assistant manager" who appeared to be disinterested in us as guests - not once did she smile and avoided eye contact for the entire time that she was speaking with us and handling our formal check-in process. The check-in desk gives you a first impression of a hotel and in this case it was not a friendly one at all. We were given our keys and went to our room.

Upon entering the room it was quite dark but reasonably spacious. Our bags had been delivered as promised an the sofa bed was already pulled out and made, but minus the pillows. A call to housekeeping addressed this within 10 minutes however.

The "suite" comprised of a small shared bathroom that ran off the main living area, a small lounge with a double couch/pull out sofa bed, coffee table, TV, and a main bedroom with a king bed. The room did look quite dated and this was not helped by the fact that the room seemed to quite dimly lit. There were no kitchenette facilities provided, just a bar fridge and your usual overpriced mini-bar items.

The hotel is quite well located with Chinatown and Darling Harbour only a short walk away, as is the busy George Street. We opted for takeaway Chinese from Chinatown for dinner and thankfully they included plastic forks for us to use - upon returning to the room we found no cutlery, plates, of any kind that we could use so we ended up using the lids of the chinese containers for this purpose.

We had a good sleep overnight and any noise was non-existent.

The next morning we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant. Had we known that just outside and in the streets surrounding there were a number of good cafes that were open on a Sunday then we would have definitely eaten there instead. The breakfast was your standard buffet which cost $34 per adult and $14 for our seven year old daughter despite the fact that she only wanted one slice of toast and a glass of orange juice. We were told that there was no other breakfast option available for her other than this which annoyed me greatly. For $82 we could have gotten the three of us both a breakfast and lunch for the same price and of much better quality I have to say that what was offered by the hotel. Our advice is to skip the hotel restaurant altogether and eat at one of the cafes just outside the hotel instead for much, much better value and service.

When it was time to leave we went to the concierge to collect our bags. I have to say that this concierge staff were the happiest people that we encountered at the hotel during our stay and did their job very well, from storing and retrieving our bags to hailing us a taxi to take us to the airport. If only the rest of the hotel staff could take a leaf out of their books.

Overall, the hotel served its purpose for our stay. The theatre was only 2 blocks away which was fantastic in our scenario, but for the price, service and quality it won't be somewhere that we will be rushing back to stay at again or recommend to our friends. We felt more like "just another person staying here" than a guest of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank CanberraLocal
ManagerWorldSquare, Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Canberra Local,
Thank you for the in depth feedback I really do appreciate the time you have taken in order to give me your honest feedback. I would like to apologise for the manner in which you were greeted upon check in and please be assured that your comments have been discussed with the person in question. I was also sorry to hear regarding the manner in which you had to consume your meals. Although we do not provide cutlery or crockery in our guest rooms as we are not a serviced apartment hotel we can provide these for our guests upon requesting through our Room Service department.
I am pleased to advise you that we are in the final stage of planning the refurbishment of all our 452 guest rooms which will begin July and I do hope that we will once again have the opportunity to welcome you back to our newly refurbished rooms in the near future.
Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

This hotel is in a great location. World Square attached to the hotel has lots of cafe's and shops, only a short walk to QVB. The staff were excellent at check in and even though we had arrived a little early the room was available. The room was really comfortable and spotlessly clean. Great having a bath and shower in the bathroom. The only thing I did not understand was that our room was on the 19th floor according to the elevator and the room number and yet we were only on about the 8th or 9th floor, I do not know why they have added about an extra 10 floors that do not exist, however, this did not spoil the time at the hotel. Breakfast was excellent. The housekeeping staff do a great job.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better as traffic noise on lower floors may be bothersome.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mrs W

Dear Mrs W
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. It was great to know that you enjoyed our central location and that your room was available for you prior to the normal check in time.
Regarding the room levels, the building and floor levels was so planned when it was first originally built and hence the difference in the actual level numbers.
Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

The room was very comfortable and clean.

My accommodation was a suite. I am a member of the Rydges Priority Guest Rewards club and the hotel upgraded my accommodation.

I had a quiet night's rest with no noticeable outside noise. I appreciated this after a day of walking in the Sydney traffic. My room was on the 20th floor so it was likely to quiet anyway of course.

The staff were always courteous

I was impressed by the professional way that the reception desk clerk handled a rude customer. The customer cut in between the desk clerk and me to force her way in. The desk clerk simply said that he was with a guest and suggested that she wait her turn.

The breakfast range at the in-house "Sphere" restaurant was very good. There was plenty of choice in cold and hot food.

The hotel location is at the southern end of the Sydney CBD. There are entertainment and dining venues nearby. However, it is a long way from the popular visitor sites including Circular Quay, Darling Harbour and The Rocks.

Museum metro station is close by for easy travelling on the City Circle line to inner city places of interest.

The room rate is near the high end of hotels in Sydney. The standard of hotel does somewhat justify this.

Overall, I recommend this hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank KevinVoyage
ManagerWorldSquare, Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Hi KevinVoyage
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the quite comfort of your room.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Loved this Hotel and most of I loved the helpful staff most of all.
I came in on one of the horrible 6am flights, wandered the streets of Sydney then dropped in to see by chance if there was an available room. I was originally booked in for 2pm but they said come back in an hour and we will sort one out. i did this and they informed me that the only room available was now at 12pm so i just cuddled up on their foyer couch and waited. Staff must have felt sorry for me as they shuffled and got me straight into a room.
They care and that makes all the differance.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Simmochelli

Hi Brett,
I am pleased to hear that our staff were able to assist with organising a room for you.
I appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Had a great stay here with family - hotel is close to lots of shops & restaurants but even though it's above a shopping centre it was never to noisey. Easy to walk to lots of the main attractions. Staff were very knowledgeable and helpful. Rooms were very clean & we'll kept.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Hello The4Gilberts,
Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay due to our central location, helpful staff and clean rooms.
Thank you for your feedback.