“Handy position for Sydney sightseeing”

Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel
Ranked #65 of 182 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband & I stayed at this Hotel overnight in late February.
We arrived exceptionally early after a quicker than expected disembarkation from a cruise but were welcomed, told to leave our luggage and then called only 30 minutes later to be told the room was ready - all before 9.30am!
The Hotel was perfectly situated for the sightseeing we had planned - either by walking, the train or the monorail system and the staff were more than happy to help with maps and directions.
Our package included a late checkout and breakfast in the on-site restaurant. The restaurant was quite busy but the food was tasty, well presented and frequently refreshed.
The room was nicely decorated & impeccably clean with a comfy king-size bed, good quality linens and all the expected conveniences. The bathroom was modern,spacious, had ample toiletries and included a bathtub which would be nice for a longer stay. The room we were allocated didn't have a terribly nice view - an alleyway- but realistically that is of little importance for such a short stay. As with all the staff we had contact with, Housekeeping were very helpful - there was a small problem with the hairdryer but they almost immediately sent someone to the room with a replacement & an apology.
We have stayed at this property before, in a different Tower, a few years ago and this time we noted a number of improvements which made for a very comfortable stay. This property was definitely value for money due to it's position and it's modern, tasteful ammenities.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review. It’s great that we were able to arrange an early check in for you. We do pride ourselves on our central and convenient location and i hope you had to see what Sydney has to offer.

Overall it sounds like you had a wonderful stay with us.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again to Rydges World Square.

John McIlwain

Write a ReviewReviews (2,137)

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Right in the middle of Sydney. Rooms are pretty good value, got a 3 day stay averaging 170 pn. Staff were very helpful and were the most attentive of all the Rydges I've stayed at.
Pretty good bar downstairs and its close to a bunch of restaurants.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you cmbsOz for your kind comments on our customer service at Rydges World Square.

I do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My company stays at the Rydges World Square on a weekly basis, and this is our preferred vendor whilst in Sydney.
I've not heard anything bad from our staff however my experience at the hotel suggested that I would not be returning.
Due to my schedule I did not check in until after 6pm. When I did I was told that the room my company had booked & paid for was not available but I could be downgraded. I'm sorry, what?!
This was not an option so I asked for an upgrade and was told that the hotel was fully booked and I should have checked in earlier.
I pointed out that I had arrived on an international flight and I was going to get the room that we have booked & paid for.
After several back & forth, I was upgraded to a family room for my stay on proviso that it was quiet.
Upon entering the room I noticed a dirty plastic bag was left under the side table by the bed; this was not removed for the duration of my 3night stay.
The bathroom had mould around the shower & room crevices/corners (I took photos of all for my company) + the fire rose in the ceiling (used if there is a fire in the room) was covered with tissue paper and looked it had been like that for sometime!
I settled in and was ready for a nights sleep when the road works started. Not your normal STOP/GO noise but concrete cutting, drilling & warning lights till 11pm that night.
When I called down to reception they told me they could move me to the downgraded room or I could buy some ear plugs at the supermarket!

Given that this is the only experience that our company has had like this at this hotel I am going to put this down to 'exceptional circumstances' and hope that the feedback our company provided to the vendor directly ensures that this does not happen to anyone else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Please accept my apologies for the obvious displeasure that you have encountered on your first stay with us. It’s disappointing to read your comments as this is not our usual standard of service. I have raised these issues with the relevant departments, so we can take remedial action.

There was some road work that was occurring around the hotel but unfortunately the level of noise was out of the hotels control.

I do hope we can welcome you and your colleagues back to Rydges World Square. I’m sure on your next stay, you will see vast improvements.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Rydges is located in the heart of the CBD so is convenient for all central locations, business and tourism. It is a large and busy hotel favoured by flight crews. Service is quick and efficient, rooms clean and comfortable but I objected to paying $11 per hour for a wifi internet connection. The restaurant is of a high standard.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Another great review on our hotels excellent location, we are very fortunate to be in the heart of Sydney’s CBD precinct.

I’m glad you had the opportunity of dining in our Sphere restaurant on your stay with us.

I do hope you choose to stay with us again at Rydges World Square on your next trip up to Sydney.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Reasonably priced and in a central location. Walking distance from Pitt St Mall, trains, Darling Harbour, also the monorail station is only minutes away Plenty of restaurants as well. we had the buffet in the hotel which was very nice. There is some maintenance going on at the moment but it didnt effect us at all. Only one gripe (picky really) the house maids do not wash up the glasses and coffee cups

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you ssshelley for taking the time to review. We are in a great central location making it very accessible to get around Sydney’s CBD.

Thank you for bringing the housekeeping issue to my attention as this is not our usual standard. I have mentioned it to the relevant department, so we are able to maintain our quality standards at Rydges World Square.

Overall it sounds like you had a great stay. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Booked a room for 4 friends to attend a workshop at the Convention Centre. It was within walking distance to Darling Harbour, The Rocks, Chinatown. Room was fairly small but sufficient as we were out most of the day. Had to ring reception for extra 2 teacups which was attended to immediately. Pleasant, friendly staff...very accommodating. Great for a short stay or longer if you intend to eat out. Plenty of places to have coffee and eat nearby. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you con01 for the fantastic review. It’s wonderful to hear that you’ve had a pleasant stay at Rydges World Square.

I hope to welcome you back again soon in the near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed here with my partner last Australia Day weekend (25-28 Jan 2013). We had a pleasant stay as my partner and his family stayed here before. It's close to heaps of shops and food and monorail station, and also a short walk away to train station/light rail, making it easy to travel around.

Room and bathroom was clean. They gave us the 20th fl (2026) so noise from outside wasn't a problem. We had dinner from room service delivered to our room on the last night and it was great - including the service.

It's just weird that a couple days later after we got back home, my partner got a letter said that we use the minibar food/drinks for $8. He called and explained that we didn't consume anything from the minibar. Staff said they'll take care of it - and we thought it was settled.. until yesterday they charged the card the $8. We didn't use any of the minibar stuff but apparently they insisted that we did.. yes it's probably only $8, but it's such a disappointment that they didn't even checked on the day we checked out whether we actually consume whatever the $8 was - because we didn't!

It was a pleasant stay, but be careful for those minor things that they might miss or take advantage of.

Room Tip: If you're gonna be out all day, just ask for the room in the higher floor. Gives you less to no...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maria K
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Maria K.

Please accept my apologies for the issue in regards to the Minibar. We do have certain procedures that we follow and on this occasion it seems like there has been a misunderstanding. Please contact the hotel so we are able to rectify this situation.

I hope this issue hasn’t reflected on what seems to have been a great stay. I hope we are able to welcome you back to Rydges World Square again in the near future.