“TV Reception was poor and non-existent”

Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel
Ranked #57 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Sorry but my plans were to watch the Moto GP and F1 on One HD followed by Homeland on Channel 10. You didn't have One HD on your selection and the 10 reception was poor. I had a four day weekend and would have planned to stay at a different property had I known this. Having been out and about for the three days prior, all I wanted was a room and what I had planned to watch. Apart from that the property was very neat and tidy and the room well appointed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

I do apologise for the problem you had with your television reception. We recently upgraded our televisions to the digital network to improve the reception, so this should not be happening. I have passed your comments onto our engineering department to further investigate this issue.

There are newer reviews for Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Came to sydney to escape and leave everyday life behind for 2 nights and certainly succeded, found the walk to the sydney entertainment centre quick and easy, close to darling harbour and tourist attractions. Was difficult to get to the front of the hotel without following reservation directions because of all the one way streets, breakfast was excellent well worth the money, scrambled eggs were very sloppy though. Valet staff were excellent but one staff member failed to tell us we couldn't drive our car out of the basement car park as we were given a card to get down to the car to put our lugguge in but didn't realise you needed a special ticket to exit car park so if we new we would of just let the valet do it and just wait at entrance, but it was very busy at check out that sunday morning, give yourselves plenty of time to check out, half an hour to be sure. The deluxe king room was a little small and clean enough, window was a little dirty and there was tooth paste on the black area of vanity. Might visit again if accomodation is still value for money. Didn't like the fridge under the TV, dumb idea

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Liz,

It is wonderful to hear you had a great night’s sleep on one of our very comfortable Rydges Dream beds!

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that would have been caused by the miscommunication regarding exiting the car park.

I hope we can welcome you back to Rydges World Square again.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I Was working in World Square so location was perfect for me and only a short stroll to China Town for a meal one night and Room Service was excellent the other night and for both Breakfast.

The Room itself was very Dark. For some reason no light in the main Room area other than the bedside table lamps and the lamp on the desk. So was not great to work and catch up on reading in bed.

Room 1524

The TV reception was mostly good .
Bathroom Was Very Clean
Safe worked
Bed extremely comfortable
Room Service Excellent.
air conditioning excellent
Square Bar Excellent

The decor was outdated with Glass Ring marks on Furniture and the fridge under the TV at some time had obviously leaked and the the MDF board had absorbed and swollen.

The only real disappointment was when i opened the window and stuffed in the gap of the window was a heap of cigarette buts and matches and the smell was horrible Closed the Window which got rid of the smell and advised reception on my check check out of this

Would i stay again Yes for Business No for a Holiday

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Please accept my apologies for the issue regarding your window. I have passed your comments on to our housekeeping department, to prevent this from happening again!

I am glad you enjoyed the hotels services and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Oh dear, where do I start...

My stay here got off to a bad start when it took 2 goes for checkin to give me a working access card - the lift just wouldn't accept it first time around.

Got into my room to find a dated room with worn fabrics, with a door joining it to another room and cables running through the large gap under the door.

The room had only a single power-point available, hidden away in an extremely hard to reach place (I had to crawl under the desk to get to it). This made even charging my phone an enormous pain.

Finally, disappointed and frustrated I climbed into bed, only to find that it wasn't the king size bed I had paid for, but rather two single beds pushed together, with a 2cm ridge where they met.

Next morning, my shower was barely warm, even with no cold water added.

I definitely won't be staying here again - you'd be better off staying at the nearby ibis, which is budget accommodation and far from perfect, but better value than this.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jstirk

Overall it certainly doesn’t sound like you had a very enjoyable stay at all!

I am very sorry for the inconvenience this would have caused you during your stay with us. If you would like to discuss any of the above further please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great hotel and great location, very clean and staff always helpful, only downside is the view from my room was of another building, blocking natural light, but no huge issue for all the time you spend in your room, and just luck of the draw.

Will stay here again

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Well, when we booked this time we mentioned our last visit and the problems we encountered. We told them that we had put our views into Trip Advisor.
When we arrived the person that checked us in told us our comments were on our reservation and we had one of the best rooms in the house and we should have no problems.
We went into our room and found it was a Suite with 2 bathrooms and a separate living area - it was newly renovated - and most importantly it was QUIET ....
Within a few minutes of arriving in the room we had a call from reception checking that we were happy with it.
We were give two free drinks in the bar and when in there found the barman there to be delightful to deal with. He was happy to chat with us and give us advice on different places we could visit nearby.
In short, a wonderful visit and would happily recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I am so pleased to hear your recent stay with us was wonderful!

I look forward to welcoming you back again next time you’re in Sydney.

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyable stay at this hotel which is close to Hyde Park, Queen Victoria Building and Chinatown. There was a rather nice lively ambience in the bar area where we had tapas including pizzas in the evening ... and an outdoor terrace area accessed World Square shops and restaurants. The rooms were comfortable, flat screen telly but no wifi access except in the foyer and bar (an extra charge). We had breakfast each morning in the dining room and there was a really great range of cereals, fresh fruit, hot buffet and breads/pastries including a barista making great coffees.

• Stayed: August 2012
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

It is great to see you enjoyed the Square Bar! We have just opened the new top deck, next time your here you have to check it out. It’s the perfect place to have an afternoon cocktail in the sun.