“Excellent overview of Sydney's history”
Review of Museum of Sydney

and up
Sydney Small-Group Walking Tour with Local Historian
Ranked #102 of 475 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy our latest exhibitions, the fascinating archaeological remains at the site of the colony's first Government House built in 1788 and see award winning contemporary sculpture 'Edge of the Trees'. Journey though Sydney's 200+ year history and learn about the people, places and cultures that have made it such a cosmopolitan city. Open daily 10am-5pm. Adult $10. Concession $5. Family $20. Sydney Living Museums members free.
London, United Kingdom
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Excellent overview of Sydney's history”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I loved everything about this museum. In fact I would have liked to take it home with me. (Disappointingly there isn't a book to buy as a memento.) From the forecourt with the coloured depiction of the original layout of the first Government House to the exhibits inside, this is a superb place to visit. Everything is well planned and there are many aspects of life when Sydney was first colonised to interest everyone. I learned a lot from visiting the Museum of Sydney that I previously had not been aware of. `although I didn't experience it myself, I have been told the cafe is very good too.

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Campbelltown, Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The Stadium and Margaret Olly exhibitions”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Both excellent - Margaret Olly for the feeling that she had just left the building and we were guests in her home, The Stadium because this was such an iconic part of Sydney (and we were old enough to have been to shows there)

Sydney, Australia
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Over priced”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

The museum is very small and did not deliver what I was expecting - a history of Sydney. The fee for admission was high based on the quality and extent of the exhibitions.
The museum had a Margaret Olley exhibit during my visit, and I enjoyed this, without this I would have spent about 10 minutes here.

Sydney, Australia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“mos”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

An excellent Museum with regularly changing examples of past Sydney life. My most visited museum in Sydney.

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Interesting but small”
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

This museum has some interesting exhibits about the history of Sydney, and also showcases the remains of the original governors house, which the museum is built over. However, this museum seems to have a bit of a style over substance problem- the exhibits are very well designed, interactive, and modern, but there isn't a whole lot to see here.

While I did find it interesting, if you have limited time I would give this one a pass in favor for the larger Australian Museum near Hyde Park.