“Can't wait to do a night tour also!”
Review of Sydney Observatory

Ranked #20 of 488 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built in 1858 Sydney Observatory is a fascinating heritage site and public observatory. The quintessential visit is a night tour of 90 minute duration which includes telescope viewing and a Space Theatre experience with a planetarium experience in cloudy weather. Night tours ($18/22 adult) must be booked and prepaid. Day tours are designed for tourists and include a Planetarium 'virtual sky' experience, solar viewing (weather permitting) and a Space Theatre in 30-40 minute tours. Entry to the Observatory is free during the day, tours are a small extra charge ($10 adult or you can use the iventure Sydney card) but well worth it to experience astronomy and solar viewing with an astronomer.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Visited during school holidays, and not too crowded! All the staff we encountered were friendly, enthusiastic and added to the experience. Small, but beautiful site - historic building, lovely grounds and fantastic views. Did the guided tour, 3D show and viewed the sun through the telescope... Day visits are drop in, but need to book for any of the evening tours. Entry is free, but you do pay extra for the 3D shows etc. (unless you are a member with the Powerhouse Museum, then during the day - these "extras" are included). At the moment, also a photographic exhibition on, (& Lego room for kids) so something for everyone.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,546)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was my fourth evening tour over many years and the guide can make a real difference to the evening. These are busy and you must book this in advance. Due to the weather conditions we tried viewing through two of the telescopes first although this was rather time consuming (this is only a personal perspective in comparison to previous tours and naturally this may be very difficult to manage with changing weather conditions). It was great to see objects through the older telescope and then the more modern one. It was finished with a number of short 3D films. Disappointingly no time was spent in the planetarium but again there's a lot to pack into 90 minutes and this approach is made clear on the website.

1  Thank travel-bug-delight
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The building is beautiful, the grounds are gorgeous and the team working at the Observatory were terrifically generous with their time and expertise.

We arrived at around two in the afternoon (they show various 3d space exploration films at about 3pm and 4pm (I think but it's worth checking), booked ourselves onto the shows and then wandered around the museum. The enthusiasm and energy of the guys on duty was infectious - they went out of their way to ensure that we understood what we were looking at and were all too keen to listen to questions, respond with knowledge and patience and encourage my daughter's interest in astronomy.

The Museum is slightly "old school" and all the better for that as it really gives a sense of history and serious endeavour. I loved it and was enthralled by the exhibits and their descriptions.

I am only sorry that we just fitted this in on our last day in Sydney, had I known more about it I would have planned to spend more time there and would definitely have booked a night viewing.

A real gem.

2  Thank AnneFrannie
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

The Sydney Observatory is amazing. Everytime I am in the city I cannot help but take another tour of the building. The walk there is wonderful, all through the old as well as beautiful buildings at The Rocks. As you walk up Observatory Hill you get lost surrounded by the most amazing, enormous, ancient looking trees as you find the best view of the harbour and Sydney Harbour bridge right at the top. The walk is worth the view, even. There are normal tours which are for free, detailing Australia's involvement with discovering space. Some of the most awe-inspiring devices and photographs on display. There are telescopes to look through, including the biggest one in the southern hemisphere! What could get more entertaining than that! There are also nights where you can get the best view of seasonal eclipses and meteor showers, etcetera. My favourite attraction in Sydney, hands down.

1  Thank Stackhat
Reviewed September 3, 2012

A wonderful evening spent gazing at the stars on an early evening tour. Carlos, our exceptional guide, introduced us to the Sydney night sky with humour, intelligence and sensitivity to the varied backgrounds and prior knowledge of the group. He hooked us in with short, accessible and fascinating introductions whilst skillfully answering the more academic queries from the group. I left the observatory utterly overwhlemed having just found out that we are entirely made up elements created millions of years ago in stars... so turns out my father was right every time he told me I was a super star :-)
I cannot recommend this tour more highly for people who adhere to the old adage that 'Every day is a school day!'

1  Thank MorvenSutherland