“Wonderful”

Ranked #16 of 486 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of Australia's leading art museums. Over 1.3 million people visit each year. Located 15 minutes walk from the city centre, with impressive collections of Aboriginal, Australian, European, Asian and contemporary art. Open daily, free general admission.Late opening Wednesdays until 9pm with free talks, films, live music and more.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

One walks through the beautiful Botanic Gardens to get to this beautifully situated building, and again, it's free except for special exhibits. Another Sydney treasure.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

There was a huge range of art, from Aboriginal to modern to old world. The building itself is a work of art and encourages one to browse, take their time and absorb all there is to offer.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

As Sydneysider we are so lucky having quite many fantastic Art Gallery and Museum. Whenever I have visitors or even just myself this is a place I frequently visit. Beautiful art selection and the location will give extra walking enjoyment.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We spent four and a half focused hours at this museum (not including the satisfying scones and clotted cream pick-me-up in its cafe), discovering the richness with which Australian artists responded to and at times anticipated artistic trends we had only known through U.S. and European museums. Here a set of landscapes that called to mind the Hudson Valley School; there a Monet-like village; over there, a Manet-like portrait; onto symbolism and abstractions . . . . Plus of course the scenes so emblematic of aspects of Australian life, such as the sheep-sheering. I felt like I had won the lottery in coming across this previously unknown-to-me trove of artists and works!

We also were excited to view works of aboriginal art, both historic and contemporary, and found many compelling pieces. However, I will say that the legends describing aboriginal art both at the Museum of Australia (primarily a science museum) and the smaller Discovery Museum (in the Rocks area) were more detailed, helping us to understand better the context and aims of the artists and the pieces themselves. A few more words of description or explanation would have enhanced our time in these galleries of the NSW Museum. But, I have to stress that the Australian holdings (settlers and aboriginal) were so strong that we only very briefly walked through the European galleries (just to see what they contained) and never did get to the Asian ones, an omission we made sadly.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Amazing art works! A must see in sydney. Perfect for a rainy day, families and solo visits are also fantastic.