“See Kapoor, forget the rest”

Museum of Contemporary Art
Book In Advance
More Info
$114.67*
and up
Sydney Sunset DSLR2 Photography Tour
Ranked #57 of 475 things to do in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Australia's Museum of Contemporary Art (MCA), dedicated to exhibiting, collecting and interpreting the work of today's artists.
Canberra, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“See Kapoor, forget the rest”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We visited on the hottest day in Syudney's history: 45.8 degrees (18 January 2013). If nothing else, the airconditioning was a lifesaver.
It's a beautiful building but the content was in the main, a disappointment compared to other galleries we know here in Aust: MoNA (Tas) NGA, NGV or the AGNSW. While all art is a matter of taste and it was clear that some visitors were engaging with some of the content, we found this was a bit of a let down. MoNA leaves this in the shade.
Two things made the day.
The brilliant Kapoor exhibition ( pay a fee to enter) evokes a level of engagement you don't see in many places. It is thought provoking, entertaining, and even makes you laugh in places.
The cafe on Level Four : It's a pity they do not sell large coffees, and that the small coffees presented to us were not hot enough. But that disappointment could not spoil a truly sparking view of the best of the Emerald City.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
1,914 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,858 helpful votes
“An incredible disappointment”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Had just returned from a trip around Tasmania and was absolutely ecstatic after a visit to MONA - mind-blowing - thought therefore I should start enjoying my own city.
The Anish Kapoor event at the MCA seemed the perfect chance to start this - had seen Kapoor at the Guggenheim in Balbao and loved his work.
Don't think it worked here though - I'm not sure whether it was the buidling and trying to fit more pieces in a limited space but I didn't enjoy the actual building - almost thought I was in a warehouse that lacked the visual excitement.
None of the Kapoor appealed to me in the way that I have seen them before.
The Guggenheim in Balbao is clearly an amazing building and you fall in love from the first second.
Similalry at MONA, from the first second you are in awe of the architecture and then the art jumps out andd confronts you.
I didn't feel any of that with the MCA - I probably enjoyed some of the art with political commentary more than the "contemporary" art - I'll return to these and try and reassess my own responses but left last night feeling disappointed.

Newport Beach, CA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Small Collection. Nothing of Note.”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

If you want to kill an hour or so (or get out of the summer heat), it's okay to wander in and take a look. But don't expect to be dazzled by great contemporary art. The "art" on the Circular Quay may be more interestingly contemporary.

Singapore, Singapore
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“What an insightful visit!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I pop into the museum today as I was walking around The Rocks and I was pleasantly surprised. The current exhibit - Taboo is really fascinating. With the mixture of painting, sculpture, mixed media, videos and more, I was blown away by the artists' creation.

It is an extra bonus that it's FOC admission and I thoroughly enjoyed myself without the free guide tour. There are museum staffs that are readily available to explain or to answer questions if you have. However, I think the tour will be really beneficial to deeper understand some of the exhibits.

1 Thank liyun86
Westport, Ireland
266 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 234 helpful votes
“good food , great views”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

my wife and i enjoyed our lunch at the cafe, the food was good and the views excellent, we thought teh building was more intesting than the exhibits

Visited October 2012