“Fantastic hotel & team to match!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The York by Swiss-Belhotel

The York by Swiss-Belhotel
Ranked #38 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic hotel & team to match!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

This was my first stay at the York and now can't believe I haven't tried it before. The service friendliness, standard of large apartments and location make it a perfect place for business or pleasure. I can't fault anything and was even more pleasantly surprised to have a selection of decent Japanese restaurants on the door step! Stay here :)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
TYSB, Manager at The York by Swiss-Belhotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. It is through feedback such as yours that we can improve our guests experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed for over two weeks at The York and were very pleased with the space offered.
Our room on the 20th floor was not a refurbished one but was clean, had a balcony, large sitting room / diner, kitchen, separate bedroom and bathroom with washing machine and tumble dryer.
The staff were friendly and the position of these apartments near to Circular Quay, The Rocks and Wynyard Station is brilliant.
The housekeeping staff kept the rooms nice and clean I certainly did not have the problem that other reviewers state about dirt.
Wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone looking for a comfortable base providing you are not expecting modern hotel style decor.

Room Tip: Lifts do make a "ding dong" noise when arriving so it is better to ask for a room away fro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

The front desk staff at the York sure know how to make their guests feel unwelcome.

There was an issue with my room and my early check-in wasn't available. Bit of a disaster after a long haul flight and I needed to get to the office asap. Rather than apologize and help find solutions they treated me like I was an irritation. The staff made me feel as if it was my fault and I had to shower & shave in the pool room and dry myself with a t-shirt! I needed to iron a shirt for work - but was not allowed near a room despite plenty being available and they proposed I pay them to do it for me. What a shocker. Really bad start to my trip to Sydney!

Please avoid this hotel.

4 Thank hsaunders782
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

We just spent the weekend in Sydney at The York, and having booked under the 'Summer in the city' promotion we were expecting the advertised upgrade to a deluxe apartment. However, when we arrived we were allocated a dirty, shabby room with stained, worn carpets and fixtures and fittings that had definitely seen better days. When we spoke to reception we were told there were no deluxe apartments available and the offer was only available 'if' there was availability.
We persisted, and finally were told we could move to a deluxe apartment for our second night - gee, how kind!
We would most definitely NOT have booked this hotel if it were not for the upgrade and I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay in the un-refurbished rooms. As someone else has said in their review, the fridge (which is in the room) is so noisy it keeps you awake, as does the loud 'Ding Dong' every time the lift arrives! The light switches and sockets are so dirty you don't want to touch them, and I don't think anyone has ever cleaned the skirting boards which are black with dust etc. In both apartments holes had been punched in doors and then filled and shabbily painted.
On the plus side(!), the location is good - just 10 mins walk to The Rocks and The Wharf. And the pool looked clean and inviting, though we didn't get time to use it.
In my opinion this hotel is WAY overpriced for the standard of the accommodation, and the apartments all need to be fully refurbished.

Room Tip: Get a high floor (the noise from the traffic is very loud) and get as FAR FROM THE LIFTS as possible...
2 Thank coffee01
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

Just checked in and OMG is it horrible. From the moment I stepped into the elevator I knew I was in trouble. Worn stained carpet, the hallways are old and more horribly worn carpet. The room has the same old stained carpet, marked up walls. Cant even describe how disappointed i am. Will have to endure for to ight and move somewhere else tomorrow. Gross dont stay here!! Come on owner update the place it's. Beyond terrible. Amazed the amount I am paying for such a dump. What a rip off.

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank Kathleen203
TYSB, Manager at The York by Swiss-Belhotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, we welcome all constructive criticism, as it helps us rectify these problems.
Munich
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

The room was generally ok: big enough and clean. Now every single machine in that apartment was a noise maker, I had to switch off the fridge every night in order to get some sleep and not to mention the air conditioning. It happened to be loud and also make the annoying beep beep whenever turned on and off, well, it went all crazy on us. We did not touch the remote and it keep switching on and off and on and off randomly, not so fun in the middle of the night. I complained, the said they had sent someone when around midnight the thing goes crazy again, I call reception they told me it was middle of the night and there was nothing they could do. I ended switching the major switch.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank idelgado
TYSB, Guest Relations Manager at The York by Swiss-Belhotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Idelgado,

I have reviewed your feedback in detail with our housekeeping and maintenance manager.
Twickenham, London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

We went to Sydney for the week between Christmas and New Year and we chose the York apartments due to its location and excellent Tripadvisor reviews.

For us it entirely lived up to its reputation, our apartment was on the 18th floor with views of Lavender Bay. It was well appointed, NOT in need of refurbishment, and really spacious. The kitchen area was large and had a big fridge as well as a minibar and the living room was a good size though the sofa wasn't very comfortable. The balcony was a good size with ample room for all three of us and the master bedroom was quite spacious, though the second room was smaller. A real bonus for us was that there were two en-suite bathrooms both with excellent showers.

As far as the location is concerned it was ideal for us. Less than 10 minutes walk to Darling harbour on the left, the rocks straight ahead and Circular Quay on the right. Two Japanese reastaurant on the same block for takeaways, and a couple of food shops nearby so we had all we needed!

It beats buying two hotel rooms by a mile,so thoroughly recommended for families.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank howardwarwick
TYSB, Manager at The York by Swiss-Belhotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2012