“Good location”

Ranked #97 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Walsall
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the travelodge for 11 nights from Jan 28th 13. It was a nice hotel with a good location. The only complaint was that our beds were not changed until I asked on reception, this being the 8th night.I think this was more of an oversight by housekeeper then the general rule.

Room Tip: We were three adults sharing a room with beds in and there was plenty of room to walk around the bed...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
HeidiHuynh, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable comments about your recent stay at Travelodge Sydney.
I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be nice and in a good location.
Please accept my apology that you had to ask for your linen to be changed, please be assured I have addressed this with the housekeeping team as the linen should be changed every third day.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you back to Travelodge Sydney sometime in the future.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had absolutely no regrets staying at Travelodge Sydney during my August 2012 trip. It is a great choice to pick as your base for exploring the city - almost everything is walking distance actually, including the Sydney Opera House, but that one attraction's quite a walk and would depend on how much you love walking ;)

We got a room on a high floor, right above the Travelodge sign on the building. Spacious, very clean, simple toilets that were also squeaky clean. Little kitchen area for you to make hot chocolate, store your food stash, etc. Good variety of channels on TV too.

Get a map from front desk and ask them whatever questions you like about the city. They're very helpful. One lady told us what we wanted to know about the weekend fireworks and gave us more than a couple of useful tips.

Like I mentioned, everything's walking distance: Chinatown's about 10-15 mins away, so is Darling Harbour. 7-11's about a few blocks down. The bus stop to visit faraway places like Bondi Beach is just behind the hotel. Superb food's EVERYWHERE. Was very pleased with the location! Thanks Travelodge for making my stay in Sydney a pleasant one!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha D
Dear Valued Guest,
I was pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay and that you thought the hotel was a good base for exploring Sydney with spacious and clean rooms. I am pleased that you also enjoyed the facilities the rooms have to offer.
Hotel Manage
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed there for 1 night. The staff at receipt was efficient and helpful. It was a very convenient spot - 5 minutes walk to Museum station. It was also quiet and cleaner than the main part of the city. Heaps of good Japanese and Korean restaurants on Liverpool Street. Clean and efficiency! Enjoyed our stay. Recommended for a short stay in Sydney.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you liked the location of the hotel and the array of restaurants in close proximity to the hotel.
I was also delighted that you found the team to be efficient and helpful.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Having visited Sydney before i picked this hotel for its central location. Also because with just 5 days of my holiday to be spent here i knew that my wife and i would be out and about seeing the sights rather than hanging about using hotel facilities. It was a great base for what we wanted to see and do in Sydney. On arrival the receptionist was friendly , fast and helpful which was great after a flight from Scotland that had a 30 hour delay. We got a room which was totally adequate, clean and bright with a fridge and microwave etc. Bathroom was spotless , bed was big and comfy. Window was small and not the best of views but this was not that important to us. We were a short walk to pubs, shops and resteraunts and great public transport is easy to access too. I used the breakfast resteraunt once for breakfast and found it a bit pricey at $19 but the food was good and you can eat what you like so if you want a huge hearty breakfast its a good option.Had some fading batteries in remote for tv and just 2 mins after calling reception a staff member was up with new ones which reflected the good service we had from start to finish at travelodge Sydney. Would totally recommend this hotel to a tourist who has a short Sydney stay, wants comfort, cleanliness and central location but does'nt want to blow their budget.

Room Tip: Think most rooms are pretty similar.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HeidiHuynh, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I was pleased that you enjoyed the facilities that the rooms have to offer and it to be clean and bright. I am pleased also that you found the hotel to be a great base for what you wanted to see and do in Sydney.
I was also delighted that you found the team to be friendly, fast and helpful.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here for a week, they were very good about accommodating requests or changes I needed. Staff were friendly and professional although there was sometimes quite a long queue at reception to be helped.

I asked specifically for a quiet room and that's exactly what I got, it was on an upper floor. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and reasonably modern, everything worked, the bathroom was small but clean and well stocked, and the hair dryer had decent power. The TV was a bit unwieldy to use but that's fairly typical of hotels.

I thought it was of a good standard for a hotel in this price bracket, and since I paid less than the usual charge thanks to a Hotels.com deal, I felt it was a bargain.

I did think the breakfast was overpriced, though, so I didn't go for that option. Besides which a standard room came with everything you needed to make your own breakfast - fridge, dishes, cutlery etc.

It's close to Museum train station, Hyde Park, the city, and lots of buses and taxis going up and down Oxford St. There are also plenty of good restaurants close by. I recommend The Falconer (Italian), and for cheap, quick eats there is a group of nice takeaway places on the corner of Oxford and Crown - burgers, pizza, Mexican.

One warning about the parking building for hotel guests - it doesn't open until 8.30am on the weekend so if you need to leave early, bear that in mind.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank esthercharlotte
Dear Valued Guest,
I was pleased that you found the hotel to be a good standard for a hotel in this price bracket and that you enjoyed the facilities the rooms have to offer, along with the location of the hotel.
I was also delighted that you found the team to be friendly and professional.
Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

The staff at reception were very helpful and cooperative in trying to give us exactly the type of room we prefer.

Our room included a microwave oven, a small fridge, eating utensils, and coffee and tea making facilities, with real milk in the fridge.

Chinatown was a short 7-10 minute walk with lots of restaurants, and a Coles supermarket along the way. Metro and intercity train stations and bus stops for several routes were a short walk nearby. One could easily and conveniently walk into central Sydney or over to the Kings Cross area.

We first stayed at this Travelodge in December, 2009. Our fuller review from this visit still applies. The hotel seems to have maintained its acceptable standards.

Again, we would have liked free WiFi in the rooms, or at least in the lobby. This convenience would have made the hotel more appealing. We walked up Oxford Street and used the free WiFi at a Hungry Jack's outlet; however, it would have been more convenient if we could have used the laptop in the hotel rather than carry it up the street.

In Chinatown, the Dixon House Food Court, at the corner of Dixon Street and Little Hay Street, has a broad selection of Asian cuisines at very reasonable prices from under $10. Definitely good value for money given that dining out in Australia is expensive — and you do not necessarily get anything special for the cost.

Note that if you take one of the private shuttle service buses from the hotel to the airport, check on the route from the Travelodge and the time it will take to get to Sydney airport. If the bus has its first pickup at the Travelodge, you could end up going for a tour of the hotels in the Pyrmont-Darling Harbour redevelopment area to pick up other passengers. This circuit could mean up to an hour before you will reach the International Terminal.

Room Tip: Try for a room on an upper floor and away from the lifts-elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chelydra
HeidiHuynh, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,
I was pleased that you enjoyed the facilities the rooms have to offer, along with the location of the hotel.
I was also delighted that you found the team to be helpful and cooperative.
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We paid $105 a night for this place which in Sydney is not much more than you pay for a bunk in a backpackers ie. awesome price.

I was expecting the hotel to be somewhat "sterile" from the other reviews and yes it is not exceptional in terms of service or how it feels etc. It is I would rather say very business like, not unfriendly, clean, tidy and no nonsense. I think in terms of service and the room and what you get for the price this hotel is probably unbeatable in Sydney.

I asked for a room with a queen sized bed in it and was told as I booked through a third party web site that I would not be able to get one. I was a bit disappointed but I knew this was a risk when I booked for the price. BUT the rooms have easily moveable twin beds. I mean really easily moveable - they are on wheels. So we had three beds - we moved 2 together and it was perfect. I know some people would have been disappointed even with this but my wife and I were happy with te end result.

Didn't try the breakfast as there are just too many better options in the area. Speaking of the area if you want to go to the CBD, Darlinghurst or Surry Hills it is right there. There is even a really nice pub across the road that has live music pretty much every night. 5 minutes to Chinatown. Basically you actually couldn't get a better location if you want a taste of the "real Sydney".

The hotel is a 7 minute walk from the Airlink train from Sydney airport, less than 10 minutes to most rental cars in East Sydney and it took us 30 minutes to walk to Circular Quay.

So if the price stays the same this is a steal - just book it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Railay
HeidiHuynh, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

I was pleased to read that you found the rooms to be clean, tidy and excellent value for money, and that you enjoyed the location of the hotel for exploring Sydney.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Sydney sometime in the future.

Kind regards