“Great hotel in heart of Sydney”

Travelodge Hotel Sydney Martin Place
Ranked #103 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Great hotel for all walks of life when visiting Sydney , especially caters for backpackers which has washing machines and dryers . Easy access for city centre and the ferries to al points great places especially the Blue Mountains . One point to emphasis get a runaround ticket when you arrive as it covers all means of transport , trains boats and buses , a visit too Bondi Beach is worth a visit go by the Bendi bus , just watch the surfers .

Room Tip: Select a room towards back of hotel and the higher the better for sound
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Hotel Sydney Martin Place

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I love this hotel!! My husband and I have used it twice now for weekend get aways and it has not disappointed me at all. Lovely place, well appointed and comfortable rooms!! Leagues club Bistro open for breakfast, lunch and dinner so you get a good meal for a decent price. Quiet, close to shops and staff are friendly and helpful. We'll be back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alaarakk
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I stayed one night at the Phillip St Travelodge and would absolutely recommend it to others traveling to Sydney. My flight landed at about 7am and I hadn't slept on the plane, so I stopped by the hotel to see how early I might be able to check in. Much to my delight, the friendly gentleman at the front desk said I could probably be in by 11:30am. So, I spent a few hours wandering around the gorgeous harbour (for which this hotel is *extremely* conveniently located!), and was able to go to my room before Noon, which was an absolutely lifesaver. I don't think I've ever had such an accommodating hotel.

The room itself was good- clean with nice amenities that I'd have made much better use of if I'd been staying longer. It was facing the street, but I didn't have any noise issues. The only thing I'd have a minor gripe about is charging for wifi, which I think it silly in this day and age.

The rates might seem on the pricey side on the surface, but Sydney is so expensive that it's actually very good value compared to other hotels so centrally located. Overall I had a great experience and would happily recommend this hotel to other and would also happily stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed here recently on a quick business trip to Sydney.

The location is good - central, close to everything, a little insalubrious at night (the homeless soup van stops just up the top of Martin Place) but never felt unsafe.

Eating nearby is difficult but the bottom end of Martin Place has some good eateries and its only 5-(maybe) 10 mins walk away.

The rooms were clean and of a high standard, the bathroom was good and a pleasant surprise - well set out, clean, everything worked well, loads of hot water for a shower.

The only downside is the rooms that face onto Elizabeth St. There are buses and trucks there all day and all night, and the noise of engines starting and roaring never ends. Ask for a room facing into the atrium or anywhere apart from facing Elizabeth St and it will be much quieter.

If it were not for the noisy experience, I'd rate this hotel higher: and its good value for being in the middle of Sydney.

Room Tip: Ask for a room thats not facing Elizabeth St
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank quickly86
Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Very central fantastic location, 2 mins from Martin place train station as 5 mins from central shopping at George street. Clean hotel, rooms cleaned daily to a high standered- we often left lose change around and not even that went missing! Perfect sized kitchenette with cutlery and plates etc and fridge, microwave and kettle. Great rates if you book early. Highly recommended!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chinthis
TravelodgePhillip, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Sydney Martin Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Chinthis,

Thank you for your review. The Team and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay, in particular our central location. We look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Phillip Street in the near future.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

The location of the hotel is fantastic for the business or leisure traveller looking for a good value hotel. I should say, it is nothing fancy from the outside and the rooms are quite plain, but I loved it. Tucked away behind Martin Place, the hotel is superbly located for minimal traffic noise while still allowing great access to all many of central Sydney's best attractions - the Opera House, the Botanical gardens, the art galleries and, my favourite, the NSW State Library. The rooms are moderate to small and neatly presented. It is not a luxury hotel and there few views but I found it to be a little oasis in the middle of Sydney. My one complaint was that I got stuck in the lift because of a problem in reading how to use the lift card. While acknowledge this was my mistake, it would be better if the lift had clearer signs about how to use the lift card which would be particularly needed for non-English speakers or, in my case, a tired traveller. I loved this place for its location and value for money and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the Court building, as these are quiet at night time.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 51KarenH

Dear 51KarenH,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our fantastic location. We look forward to welcoming you back if you visit Sydney again.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed at the Travelodge in Sydney for three days following our cruise. Our room was perfect except the air conditioning was not cooling the room down. We suffered through a hot night (windows did not open) and talked to the front desk in the morning. When we returned late that afternoon, the room was still very warm. Talked to the front desk again and a young woman, Nikkie Te Kanawa, went with us back to our room. She found another room where the AC was blowing cold. She helped us move our stuff and we were very grateful for her help. Another big plus was her attitude. This was a problem for us and she was going to fix it quickly. I felt like this is what good hotel staff should do but often don't. Otherwise the hotel was very good - clean, modern, attentive staff, comfortable beds and good prices

Room Tip: If it is warm in Sydney, check the temp in the room before you unpack. In winter this wouldn't...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sharon P

Dear Sharon P,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Travelodge Phillip Street. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. I was concerned to hear that you had trouble with the air conditioning but was glad that Nikki dealt with your concerns promptly, I am sorry for the inconvenience it caused you. I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Medina Serviced Apartments Martin Place
Travelodge Hotel Sydney Wynyard
Travelodge Hotel Sydney
Travelodge Hotel Sydney
#104 of 178 in Sydney
Megaboom City Hotel
Megaboom City Hotel
#68 of 178 in Sydney

Been to Travelodge Hotel Sydney Martin Place? Share your experiences!