“2 nights in SYD”

Ranked #34 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
edmonton
“2 nights in SYD”
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Spotless hotel. Great location. Can walk to all the major sites. While in Sydney, highly recommend the 'bridge climb'. Stunning views

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (702)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We had a wonderful stay @ westin. Our room was absolutely fabulous and comfort, especially since we were tired of being rained on. The only annoying thing was that we had book two tower rooms but the other couple, my parents, got a much smaller room and had a terrible view.

• Stayed October 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 2, 2011

I was very pleased with the standard of our room...amazingly comfortable, luxurious beds, huge bathroom etc..slept very well!! Fantastic location too..central to everything. However for a five star hotel there were a few things lacking. we had drinks down in the lobby bar one night...lots of tables were uncleared for far too long...our table was sticky from the previous people's drinks..there was some rubbish left under it too..the waiter finally came along to take our drinks order and apologised for delay saying there was a run on the cocktail orders...they obviously should have had more staff on..we had had drinks at the Marriott the day before and they certainly put on the five star treatment. The Westin's lobby lacked wow factor too...the few lounge chairs were tired and scuffed and the rug was pretty hideous..neon stripes etc as was the wall covering...yuk- not in keeping with the beautiful bedrooms!! On our last night we decided to treat ourselves to dinner in the Mosaic restaurant - HUGE disappointment. The service was good but the food was awful. We ordered a bowl of olives and to enjoy with our bottle of wine as a starter...well..it took about 5mins after we had our order taken for our 2 main courses to be delivered!!! 5 mins...was it sitting under a hot plate en masse??? i was soo shocked at getting the food so soon - i barely remembered the olives and wine...when i did - the waiter laughed and said ' yes they are coming now' - erm - starters normally come before the mains...what use is a bowl of olives when my main course is sitting there ready to eat???? all could have been forgiven if the main courses had been good..but my gnocchi was revolting..it was served with plain cream over it as the sauce..and some aniseed type flavour was overpowering..with lots of shitake mushrooms...when i read the menu i thought i ordered gnocchi with a cherry tomato sauce??it was a sickening combination and i noticed a fellow diner beside me struggling to eat theirs!! my husbands trio of pork was TINY...he finished his in 3 mouthfuls...and we are not people with huge apetites...but this was ridiculous...so for $150 for 2 mains- a bottle of wine - and an unwanted bowl of olives...very dissapointing! we should have complained..but were too tired to make a scene....i wonder if the chef had done a runner and they had the waiter out back trying his hand in the kitchen!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cathybrisbane
Sydney
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I have previously written a good review regarding this hotel. However i just returned there for a leisure stay during the weekend. The quality of the food (room service menu) provided in this hotel has significantly deteriorated since my last stay there in August of this year.
I have eaten the same standard food in a pub. I do not mind paying for good food but I was surprised at how lack luster the taste of my two dishes were.
butter chicken and an asian beef strip dish + slice of cheesecake + sliced fruits = $153. Would be no problem if it was of the same standard as the price. Fruits were not ripe or tasty.
Also this hotel did not have foxtel. I wanted to hear/watch a music channel, to do this I would have to pay $6.95 to watch a 60 minute clip from a few selected artists on the hotel entertainment menu.

On the more positive side: complimentary breakfast at the Mosiac restuarant was good and of a 5 star standard. Service at hotel is o.k and the rooms are clean. Location is good. However will not be returning, will continue my search for great hotel in Sydney.

• Stayed December 2010
3 Thank livelife990
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 8, 2010

As a brand, I generally like the Westin branch of the Starwood Hotels. The Westin, Sydney is lauded as a 5-star hotel. Based on my experience with hotels in general and in Sydney, this particular Westin falls short of that status. If it is a 5-star hotel you're expecting/seeking, I recommend you stay at the Four Seasons, Shangri-La or look into some of the great boutique hotels that are popping up (depending upon the nature of your trip and the amenities for which you are most partial).

To put into perspective: I've also stayed at the Four Seasons, Intercontinental and the Sheraton, Darling Harbour.

The hotel definitely gets bonus points for its location (George St. is a prime place to be & Martin Place is decorated quite nicely for the holidays). For anyone who has been to NYC, the location of this Westin is almost like being a couple blocks from the studio of NBC's "The Today Show" (Rockefeller Center) re: Sydney's equivalent, "The Sunrise Show" (Ch. 7). Shopaholics, armed with an AmEx Platinum or the like, will be in heaven (QVB & shops around George -- great deals @ Haymarket). The Royal Botanic Gardens, museums, Darling Harbour, Circular Quay, Opera House, the Rocks, etc. are all easily within walking distance.

That aside, and being a Starwood Gold Preferred Member, what was advertised as an appealing room (to me), was mediocre by Westin standards. My membership status, room preference and potential perks were ignored and were not applied. There were multiple tech problems that had to be fixed. The room was so bland and sterile looking that I actually sent out for a bouquet of brightly-colored flowers!

On a better note, my stay, with my boyfriend at the time, was romantic in nature. The tub was adequately-sized for us to relax and comfortably unwind together with some champagne at the end of the day. And, of course, the bed was "heavenly."

Aside from the hotel's great location, there isn't anything particularly outstanding about this property. I may or may not return to this hotel, but only if the room's price-point is competitively priced.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trekkingtheglobe_10
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2010

WOW - I was surprised by how much I loved this place! From the classic hallways to the high ceilings, we found our room extremely clean, comfortable and very spacious. We really liked the layout of our room (only a Heritage room on the first floor). The bed was king size and is truly heavenly, I usually have trouble sleeping but I had the best sleep on that bed! The large bathtub was so much fun, and now I feel disappointed when other hotels don't live up to this standard. Couldn't recommend this place enough, fantastic room. (We didn't really encounter any problems so can't say anything about the service, but staff seemed polite)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amiski
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I normally like this hotel however on this occasion did not have the best experience. We stayed in the heritage section.
When staying 5 Star I expect the room to be spotless which it wasnt, I complained and it was cleaned.
Also charged for items on the minibar that we didn't consume. The charge was promptly reversed when I rang the next week to complain but it seems as though standards here may be slipping.
Breakfast here like all Westins is one of the best I've had, however it annoys me greatly to be charged $5 for an espresso coffe with breakfast when the room and breakfast charge is far north of $US200.
Positive was they let me have a shower after I had checked out in the Fitness Centre.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple