“Amazing bathroom and bed, one of my favourite hotels.”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #32 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing bathroom and bed, one of my favourite hotels.”
Reviewed December 2, 2010

WOW - I was surprised by how much I loved this place! From the classic hallways to the high ceilings, we found our room extremely clean, comfortable and very spacious. We really liked the layout of our room (only a Heritage room on the first floor). The bed was king size and is truly heavenly, I usually have trouble sleeping but I had the best sleep on that bed! The large bathtub was so much fun, and now I feel disappointed when other hotels don't live up to this standard. Couldn't recommend this place enough, fantastic room. (We didn't really encounter any problems so can't say anything about the service, but staff seemed polite)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amiski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I normally like this hotel however on this occasion did not have the best experience. We stayed in the heritage section.
When staying 5 Star I expect the room to be spotless which it wasnt, I complained and it was cleaned.
Also charged for items on the minibar that we didn't consume. The charge was promptly reversed when I rang the next week to complain but it seems as though standards here may be slipping.
Breakfast here like all Westins is one of the best I've had, however it annoys me greatly to be charged $5 for an espresso coffe with breakfast when the room and breakfast charge is far north of $US200.
Positive was they let me have a shower after I had checked out in the Fitness Centre.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank originalmrfresh
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 24, 2010

The Westin is in a great location in downtown Sydney, close to shopping, the botanical gardens, museums, and the train station. My guest room as the Westin was stocked with all of the amenities I could possibly need and the bathroom had a great wash tub and shower. I would definitely go back. Fantastic hotel. There is also a nice food court right in the hotel, that has decent priced food with lots of variety.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jolotraveler
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Stayed one night at the Westin before leaving overseas. The shower didn't work properly & the room was tired. It was OK, but not up to the standard I have come to expect from Westin.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2010

The positives:

-Great location, right next to Martin Place and Pitt Street mall
-Great food quality in restaurants, really nice high tea offering, and breakfast offering
-Extremely comfortable bed
-Great sized bathroom

The negatives:

-Lacks the ambience of a 5 star hotel. Feels like walking into an office block. No flowers or candles in lobby. Feels very cold like walking into a corporate office building.

-Lacks 5 star service. Staff do not open doors or greet you as you enter (they've put in automatic doors). You can walk right through the lobby and not have one staff member greet you. Staff at breakfast do not provide any service besides finding a table for you, do not even thank you as you leave the restaurant

-The hotel does not have its own wellness centre/swimming pool/relaxation area. After staying at the Westin Melbourne, I was looking forward to a nice swimming pool, spa, sauna area to relax in. Instead the Sydney Westin offers access to a nearby gym, but it has old facilities and a tiny pool that I wouldn't swim in.

In comparison to the Westin in Melbourne, the Westin in Sydney lacks service, and lacks the ambience, and also lacks the nice swimming pool/relaxation areas you'd expect when paying this sort of money. It would be fine for a business stay, but if you're paying for 5 star service and facilities then other hotels are probably a better option in Sydney.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Newcastle1979
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2010

OK this is an expensive hotel, and my expectations were proportionately high as well.

Beds are superb, location is excellent for business or holiday, hotel is spotless.

Some niggles:

No wireless Internet in the rooms. Wired broadband available at a cost, but no good for an iPad.

No slippers in the room. An expanse of marble floor in the bathroom made this a chilly experience.

UHT milk provided, and zero complimentary nibbles. I paid $2.50 for 2 Anzac biscuits!

The key card to the room often failed to register in the lift or the room door at first (or second) attempt.

Forecourt staff - when I left at about 7.00am there was no-one there. Previous day I was 'greeted' by a large individual with the grim appearance of a Bouncer who barely managed an 'hello'.

These days I think other five star hotels such as the Intercontinental offer a better service.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank maxie88
Sydney, NSW
Reviewed November 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for the first 2 nights of our honeymoon. It was a great choice. We had a large room, large bathroom and great view of the clock tower. The decor is warm and inviting and we were very comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful too, we were escorted to our room and the next morning found a complimentary paper under our door with 'Congratulations' written on top from the porter (as I had arrived in my wedding gown). We enjoyed a delicious buffet breakfast and even had a refreshing swim in the pool. I would highly recommend the Westin wether you are staying for business or pleasure.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple