“never disappointing”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #34 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I've stayed at the Westin 4 or so times, and it never disappoints.
Always clean, extremely comfortable beds and I just love the glass bathrooms.
The only complaint I have is that the street frontage is almost impossible to find if you're driving in. And the staff aren't always the most helpful.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2010

Love the Westin! Possibly the best hotel sleep I have ever had. The huge bed with crisp fresh linens and goose down pillows was like sleeping on a cloud; just divine.

Lovely big bathrooms with a huge double bathtub and clear glass wall so you can watch the TV while luxuriating in the tub, good amenities, big rain showerhead, large towels and soft robes, velvet slippers were a nice touch.

Our room was large, and on the west side of the building, overlooking the city which wasn't the best view, but we were too busy sleeping and bathing to notice.

Room service, minibar and internet all ridiculously expensive - $8 for a coffee.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Very nice hotel. Im an SPG member and booked with points. We're given a larger room on check in and had the clock tower in front of our window. Wonderful architecture of the Grand Post Office or GPO as they call it. If you want reasonable eats.. exit the hotel on Pitt St. and cross the street directly to a small alley Howe St. into the MLC center there's a food court. 8-9 dollars per item. In a pinch late at night turn left on Pitt St. half a block there's a PizzaHut.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank jetfixersfo
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Very nice room with great bathroom (rainforest shower and great bath with a view). Comfy bed with very crisp linen that smelled fresh and not dry-cleaned as often is the case. Room was large and was in a good state of maintenance and was kept very clean throughout my stay. Bathroom - something I am very particular about, in addition to the state of the bed - was totally spotless. The illusion that I was the first and only person ever to use the room - the feeling one should get in every hotel - was helped greatly through perfect maintenance and cleaning.

Dinner at the Mosaic restaurant was of exceedingly poor quality added to which the restaurant had all the charm of a very cheap basement canteen. My table was lazily cleared in a nearly empty restaurant - many tables had not been cleared - and I was left with a sticky and downright dirty table. Paneling next to my table showed food smears that had not been recently made. Upon request the waiter wiped the table (using the second napkin) but left it every bit as sticky. Breakfast the next morning in the same restaurant showed in daylight in what a poor state the restaurant was. Inquired about a la carte menu at breakfast and told there was none; discovered on third morning that there indeed was an a la carte menu - I advise guests to go for this instead of the vastly overpriced buffet.

Internet access was an eye-watering AU$30 a day! Free access in lobby.

Generally the hotel is in a very good location. A short walk from the hotel to Circular Quay (The Rocks, Sydney Bridge, Opera House) or Darling Harbour (good choice of restaurants); 24-hour well-stocked supermarket round the corner (turn right at exit, make a right at the first street and go down escalator on next corner - vastly cheaper than minibar); David Jones food hall down the street has very good and very affordable choices for lunch and early dinner. Underground about a block and a half away from hotel which allows for very easy, very quick and very comfortable access to the airport.

My main gripe apart from the very disappointing quality of the food was the poor service. Check-in was frosty and even haughty by someone who evidently did not think it necessary to make eye contact. We all have our bad days so I did not think too much of it, but I had an inquiry the following evening and talked to the same person and her demeanor was exactly the same, if not worse. Her colleague at check-out was worse and even downright snippy: when my bill had been settled, the invoice had been tucked in my bag and I was ready to leave but still had to ask for my credit card, his response was a very angry "in a minute!".
I ordered tea in the lobby and waited for 20 minutes before calling the same waiter again, inquiring about my tea. He seemed to have no recollection of my order and left. Ten minutes later same thing. When I finally managed to draw his attention for a third time (lobby was quiet, no more than 3 or 4 other people at as many tables - funnily enough, all seemed to be there for the same reason I was, free internet access) he still seemed to have no memory of my order placed twice. By the way, tea never appeared. Ordered tea in my room the next evening, still waiting despite a return call and order placed again.

On balance a nice hotel in a perfect location, room was pleasant and comfortable and worth the price. Food was hugely disappointing and not worth half the price, if that much. Service was the issue that made me decide I will most likely not return to the Westin Sydney soon if ever. For a vastly reduced price I would advise the Hilton right down the road. Sure, smaller rooms and tiny bathrooms, but a vastly better breakfast buffet (included in price of room) and not half the aggravation due to bad service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank FDanvers
Reviewed December 28, 2009

We stayed here for our wedding night in December. Living in Sydney I rarely ever stay in hotels but this one happened to be great!

We checked in late, around 1130pm and it was fast and polite. We were upgraded to a better room (it had a desk and light) in the Tower block quite high up. I do not remember the level.

When we got to our room there was a small dessert thing with Congratulations, a card from the GM and a bottle of bubbly on ice. Very very nice.

But the bathroom is the true star. High ceilings, bathtub with views out of your window with an electric blind for privacy. The shower is a rainwater type with huge water flow rates - it was really special.

The bed was immaculate and comfortable with lovely doona and pillows.

Unfortunately we only stayed one night so did not dine in the hotel, but given its location, why would you bother when you can walk around Sydney?

Checkout was smooth and fast, although we did note some queues earlier in the morning.

Reviewed December 28, 2009

The Westin Sydney is a first-class well-located hotel with amenities that all cost extra. No free wi-fi and a beer from the in-room mini-bar is $12. The rooms, at least the one we had, feature what is apparently a contemporary design for some hotels of a bathroom with glass walls - and a shade you can move down if you want. It's a very nice hotel if you are willing to pay the price or get deal. We paid for two nights and got the third free.

Note: There is a grocery store outside, around the corner and down the basement where you can buy food, beer and wine at reasonable prices.

1  Thank TCTroubador
Reviewed December 28, 2009

This is a top hotel in a great location. The rooms are beautifully finished with luxurious bathrooms. The service is polite and efficient ( although at times the reception was under-staffed, with a long wait for check-in).

But beware - they are really not shy about their pricing. The guest directory states that in-room internet is available for a "nominal fee". The actual price is $30. Only in Sydney can a hotel claim that $30 is a "nominal" fee. A small bottle of Coca Cola in the lobby lounge is $7.50. There is no fresh juices on offer, but they still feel free to charge $6.50 for a cheap bottle of concentrated orange juice.

Nevertheless, if you're on expense account and the company covers the exhorbitant internet charges, go for it. It's a beautifully designed hotel in a great location.