“Extremely satisfied with Westin experience”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #32 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Anglesey North Wales
“Extremely satisfied with Westin experience”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Have just stayed in this hotel and was very pleased with my choice. On checking in after a long flight from the UK, I was pleasantly surprised with my room...it being very light and well furnished. The bathroom is a little different with glass walls facing into room....but there is a blind that comes down to hide your blushes! The bathroom has a large bath and seperate shower. I found the room extremely clean and well maintained.

The Westin itself is right in the CBD district of Sydney. The large David Jones store is about one block up and there are plenty of cheap eateries in the Myer Mall. You are also only a 10-15min walk from Darling Harbour and all its restaurants and shops. Circular Quay and Opera House are once again only about 10-15min walk.

I would definately stay here again. As a women travelling on her own, I felt completely safe staying at this hotel. As safety of area, I did'nt venture out too late and feel that like when staying in any city you just need to be aware of areas that have a bad reputation...the CBD did'nt give me any concerns.

A big thumbs up to Westin!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
weston s mare
Reviewed November 4, 2009

First stop in Australia on a months holiday. Very comfortable rooms, wonderful beds and excellent breakfast. There is free wi-fi in the loby and also free internett access in the business centre which is a big bonus. The Westin is in a very central location easy access to Darling Harbour, Circular Quay and all the main tourist sights. The Hotel also has access to trendy bars and restaurants (not owned by Hotel) on the lower ground floor which served good food at reasonable prices. The main criticisim we have is the frontline staff, they need to be friendlier, we found the concierge was not at all helpful and the reservation staff spent most of the time with their heads in computers and never acknowledged guests unless you went up to the desks. We just felt as if they were doing their jobs but had no interest in customer service. We would most definitely stay at this hotel if we visit Sydney again.

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed November 3, 2009

I stayed here my last night in Australia. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Our room was roomy and comfortable. The bathroom was one of the best of all the hotels we stayed in in Australia. We had visited several vineyards in Yarra Valley and Coonawarra where we had purchased wines. I asked that they be shipped to the Westin Hotel Sydney with a note to hold them until my arrival. I also had left my iphone in my hotel in Adelaide. They found it after my departure and asked me what I wanted to do. I requested they send it to the Westin. After checking in, I called hotel security regarding any packages for me. They sent them up to my room and everything had arrived and been stored for me. Rarely have I ever been let down by a Westin!
My only issues with the hotel are the high costs for internet service (approximately $30 AUD per day) and parking (as a hotel guest it was only $49 AUD per day, vice the normal $75 charge).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I had a recent 4 night stay at the Westin. Firstly, some reviews refer to the staff being snobby. I found that all the staff I had dealings with from start to finish were excellent, professional and friendly. I could not fault them.

I had a larger than normal room which was spotless when I arrived. The TV was great, easy to use. The room had a view over the GPO clock and George Street. The window coverings were great, clock radio etc all easy to use, which is sometimes rare in a hotel. Cable channels were generous, acknowledging that there are female guests who don't want to watch sport. Bathroom was large and had lovely products. Hairdryer was great, not one of those cheap, small ones mostly used by hotels. The only two complaints I have was the size of room service meals - the quail breast, sorry chicken breast - they must breed small chickens in Sydney for a cost of $50 was about 5 mouthfuls. I think the cook trimmed it to within an inch of his life. All the room service meals were too costly, but standard for Sydney. Scrambled eggs in the morning were way too runny and had barely hit the heat, very disappointing. Other than that, no issues. Room cleaning for this hotel was a little below par, soap dish was never cleaned, nor used soap replaced. Sink etc were barely wiped. In most hotels this wouldnt rate a mention by me, but at the Westin it was surprising. I highly recommend this hotel for its service, location, friendly staff and the lovely rooms. Especially if you love quail breast!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Stayed here for one night our last night in Australia. Not as great a location as the Sheraton on the Park. It is a 5 minute walk from the Wynard train station which we took in from the airport. A little hard to find a way in on the George street side. The lobby wasn't much as it was part of the building which housed other offices. I think I really liked this hotel because we got upgraded to an executive level room (I'm only a gold preferred) on the 30th floor, right below the top floor. The view was probably as good as it gets on a 31 story building amongst higher buildings. The room was very nice and large with floor to ceiling windows. Of course, the Heavenly bed was nice. I only wish we could've stayed longer (but then we probably wouldn't have been upgraded to such a nice room). The front staff was very friendly. Separate bath. Shower also had option of rain shower in addition to the handheld handle (is this now standard? Also had this in the Westin in Fiji). I tried to use wifi in the lobby. When I tried to connect to a page, it brought up a message that offered one complimentary day use of the wifi. This would ordinarily be a charge. Would definitely stay here again on a return trip.

London
Reviewed October 31, 2009

I have stayed here a number of times and had high expectations on my return, which I am glad to say were met in every way. The service is friendly, helpful and efficient. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed and still in very good shape - looks like a refurb has just happened, but I would imagine it is just well kept. I won't really comment on the price of the rooms or the restaurants and bars as the reason you come to this hotel is not for a discount experience! i would recommend to anyone especially for a business trip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
so california
Reviewed October 30, 2009

I arrived in Sydney and stayed at the Westin for 4 days. The customer service was top notch as soon as I walked onto the property. Check-in was fast and easy (as well as check-out). The hotel lobby, restaurant and room was immaculate! The bed was extremely comfortable, along with the pillow and comforter. Had a view of a clock tower from my room. The bathtub was large and the way the room is set up, you could watch tv from the tub! I loved this hotel so much that I returned after traveling around Australia for an extra 2 days of comfort before my flight home. I highly recommend this hotel!