“LIves up to its reputation, some minor shortcomings”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #32 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“LIves up to its reputation, some minor shortcomings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

I had a recent 4 night stay at the Westin. Firstly, some reviews refer to the staff being snobby. I found that all the staff I had dealings with from start to finish were excellent, professional and friendly. I could not fault them.

I had a larger than normal room which was spotless when I arrived. The TV was great, easy to use. The room had a view over the GPO clock and George Street. The window coverings were great, clock radio etc all easy to use, which is sometimes rare in a hotel. Cable channels were generous, acknowledging that there are female guests who don't want to watch sport. Bathroom was large and had lovely products. Hairdryer was great, not one of those cheap, small ones mostly used by hotels. The only two complaints I have was the size of room service meals - the quail breast, sorry chicken breast - they must breed small chickens in Sydney for a cost of $50 was about 5 mouthfuls. I think the cook trimmed it to within an inch of his life. All the room service meals were too costly, but standard for Sydney. Scrambled eggs in the morning were way too runny and had barely hit the heat, very disappointing. Other than that, no issues. Room cleaning for this hotel was a little below par, soap dish was never cleaned, nor used soap replaced. Sink etc were barely wiped. In most hotels this wouldnt rate a mention by me, but at the Westin it was surprising. I highly recommend this hotel for its service, location, friendly staff and the lovely rooms. Especially if you love quail breast!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (686)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

Stayed here for one night our last night in Australia. Not as great a location as the Sheraton on the Park. It is a 5 minute walk from the Wynard train station which we took in from the airport. A little hard to find a way in on the George street side. The lobby wasn't much as it was part of the building which housed other offices. I think I really liked this hotel because we got upgraded to an executive level room (I'm only a gold preferred) on the 30th floor, right below the top floor. The view was probably as good as it gets on a 31 story building amongst higher buildings. The room was very nice and large with floor to ceiling windows. Of course, the Heavenly bed was nice. I only wish we could've stayed longer (but then we probably wouldn't have been upgraded to such a nice room). The front staff was very friendly. Separate bath. Shower also had option of rain shower in addition to the handheld handle (is this now standard? Also had this in the Westin in Fiji). I tried to use wifi in the lobby. When I tried to connect to a page, it brought up a message that offered one complimentary day use of the wifi. This would ordinarily be a charge. Would definitely stay here again on a return trip.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

I have stayed here a number of times and had high expectations on my return, which I am glad to say were met in every way. The service is friendly, helpful and efficient. The rooms are spacious and well-appointed and still in very good shape - looks like a refurb has just happened, but I would imagine it is just well kept. I won't really comment on the price of the rooms or the restaurants and bars as the reason you come to this hotel is not for a discount experience! i would recommend to anyone especially for a business trip.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
so california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

I arrived in Sydney and stayed at the Westin for 4 days. The customer service was top notch as soon as I walked onto the property. Check-in was fast and easy (as well as check-out). The hotel lobby, restaurant and room was immaculate! The bed was extremely comfortable, along with the pillow and comforter. Had a view of a clock tower from my room. The bathtub was large and the way the room is set up, you could watch tv from the tub! I loved this hotel so much that I returned after traveling around Australia for an extra 2 days of comfort before my flight home. I highly recommend this hotel!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2009

We stayed at the Westin Sydney from Oct. 16-Oct 19 of 2009 and it was great! The Westin is located in St. Martin's place an ideal location and 15 minute walk to all the tourist locations you will need to go during your stay in Sydney.

The Sydney Westin and Melbourne Westin are totally different in layout of lobby and rooms. I liked the lobby layout of the Melbourne Westin better but I loved our room in the Sydney Westin.

The bathroom and the bedroom are separated by only a clear glass wall (don't worry for the more demure there are blinds that go down should you need the privacy) and the Boss speakers that were connected to the bathroom made drawing a bath a luxurious treat.

I've been a huge fan of the Heavenly Bed since I first slept in it and this one didn't disappoint. I slept like a baby each night.

I'm amazed at how large the rooms are in both Westins! I could definitely stay at either again! I just need to earn the Starwood points to do so!

Ocean Springs, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2009

The Westin Sydney was a great place to stay, the service was excellent, the rooms were awsome (clean, modern, comfortable beds). It's located such that you can walk to pretty much anywhere in downtown Sydney.

I would definitely recommen and would stay there again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2009

Rooms are amazing! Westin has the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Food is excellent! Very good location.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business