“Check your bill!”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #34 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I had an enjoyable stay at the Westin Sydney in October 2009.
I used their express checkout upon departure due to a breakfast meeting.
Unfortunately, I received the bill 24 hours later via e-mail and noticed that I had been overcharged for Pringles, Tim Tams and other items that I certainly did not consume!
A phone call to the Manager on Duty (Byron) reveals that they are powerless to reimburse in a timely manner. It raises the question - How often does the Westin Sydney get away with overcharging guests?
This event dampened an otherwise enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank traveller_in_oz
There are newer reviews for The Westin Sydney

Reviewed October 6, 2009

Accommodation booked through Wotif. We were allocated a heritage room. It was large & luxurious. Great Location, Great Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Goferit
Reviewed October 6, 2009

For a luxury weekend in Sydney, they don't come much better than the Westin. Valet Parking, ease of check-in, large wall mounted plasma, sensational and luxurious bathrooms, king size bed, great view over the clock tower, definitely the place to stay for a decadent weekend.

There are currently some great weekend package deals including breakfast; however do expect to pay $49 a night to park the car.

Room service was excellent and fast, however the only fault with the hotel was that the in-room dining menu was a little limited. However, in fairness to the hotel, the meals were accompanied with an excellent selection of freshly cooked vegetables and enormous sides of chips/wedges etc. We did enjoy it so much the first night, that we utilised it again for our second night.

The hotel location is fabulous for shopping and it's only a 20 metre walk before you sight your first European designer store. DJ's and Myers, the Strand etc are another 20 metres further on.

The architecture of the hotel is amazing. Sydney's former GPO married with a modern tower, is quite a feat. The public foyers and lounges are highly cosmopolitan and offer ideal opportunity for a coffee break or lunch.

For a one on one decadent weekend, the hotel is perfect. However, what you save on a great weekend deal, be prepared to spend at the hotel on premium prices for other services.

1  Thank C0nstantlyOnTheG0
Reviewed October 5, 2009

After staying at the Westin Sydney for one night I have come to realise that these 5 star hotels better start picking up their game if they want to survive in the global economic crisis we are flowing in.

I wasted 4000 SPG points and $67 AU dollars on this place, I thought was going to be a belated birthday treat for myself.

The check in staff were surley, non helpful and really couldn't give a rats about you even if you were an SPG client, were we are suppose to get preferrential treatment.

Thank god I didn't pay full price for the room, and I recommend NO ONE pays full price for the room.

Room service food at night was cold and soggy for a childs meal and the fish nuggets smelt dodgy.

$18 the next morning for Eggs Benedict that looked like it had been sitting on the breakfast buffett for a couple of hours. After complaing about this at check out expecting at least some monies to be taken off the bill, all I got was "I'll take your complaint up with management". Not good enough, treat your customers right for god sakes, if the food is rotton refund the money.

$8.00 delivery charge and a GST on top of that, get real!!!!!!!!!!!

Air con that rattled all night with temperatures all over the place and when I advised the reception on check out all I got was "did you call when this was occuring" my response was, ummmm not it was 3.00am in the morning and I didn't want to wake my child up, me being awake was bad enough.

Over pricing for room service, non appealing menu, and basically feeling like a third rate citizen when checking in and out. Thanks but no thanks.

I don't recommend this hotel to anyone, don't stay there, if your an SPG member go to Four Points Sheraton, there you'll be treated how an SPG client is meant to be treated.

3  Thank newmummy26
Reviewed October 4, 2009

I have just returned from a 'heavenly' four night stay at The Westin, with my husband and two adult daughters.
We had separate tower superior rooms, with views of the clocktower.
The hotel is beautiful architecturally- it was like entering a temple-( the hotel is incorporated into the old GPO building)-and very centrally located- shops/department stores, public transport, The Rocks, Circular Quay, all an easy stroll. (Coles was a few doors down, which saved us a fortune on mini-bar purchases!)
The quiet rooms, ( I had to remind myself I was in the middle of a capital city), were decorated in a modern, classic style. The very clean, marble bathrooms included a shower with a choice of two showerheads, (I liked the rain shower), and a deep bath, large fluffy towels/robes and a good selection of toiletries.
The beds were indeed, as advertised, 'Heavenly'-very comfortable/beautiful, white linen.
The pool was quite a walk , up stairs, down corridors and I would not consider it to be 5 star-($5 charge for towels)
Without doubt, the highlight was the buffet breakfast in Mosaic-superb food/lovely ambience.
Definately worth trying to find a room rate including breakfast, as it is $42 dollars if you don't. (Try the advanced purchase rate on The Westin website)
Already planning a return visit-next time-the Executive Suite!

Reviewed October 2, 2009

Though this hotel is in a great central location with modern, clean rooms, the service leaves a lot to be desired. A hotel with great infrastructure and bad staff is not a great hotel; it makes for a merely average property, one I wouldn't visit again, unless I got a great deal. The concierge was generally not helpful, did not smile and did not appear to really want to help. Sydney is not a particularly easy place to explore, given its confusing bus system, and the concierge provided absolutely no help in this regard. The front desk was just as unhelpful and had a generally bad attitude.

The room was spacious, with a large LCD TV and a nice marble-clad bathroom with one sink and a separate tub and shower. Oddly, there was a large closet but no drawers, so we basically had to live out of our bags. This was the only design flaw in an otherwise well designed room.

The gym situation is terrible--hotel guests have privileges at a large health club. It is a 5-10 minute walk over internal bridges, up and down some stairs and down some elevators. Moreover, you must bring a towel from the room to use the gym; otherwise, they charge you $5 for the use of a towel, which is simply outrageous. The hotel only alerts you to this fact via a small placard in the bathroom.

This could be a great property in a world-class city. As it stands, it is an average to above-average property in a world-class city.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank qaz123
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I just finished a week long stay in a tower deluxe room at the Westin and was extremely pleased. The property is certainly a flagship within the Westin brand and the combination of the old General Post Office and high-rise tower provides for interesting architectural contrasts and updated standards of luxury.

Our room was quite large, the air conditioning strong yet quiet, the Bose music system pleasant to the ear, the lighting superb, and the bed and bath worthy of their "heavenly" moniker, especially the extremely deep soaking tub and the separate shower with both rainbath and hand showerheads.

The room was virtually spot-free and the housekeeping service timely and efficient each day. Breakfast (normally $42 per person) was included in our special SPG promotional rate and was bountiful and of great quality, and the restaurant really showcases the architectural interest of the building.

Food in Sydney tends toward the expensive side yet the quality of the meal is often unremarkable. Given that, we ate several meals at the casual restaurants in the bottom level of the hotel, even though they aren't directly affiliated with the Westin. Quite satisfactory pizzas and fishes can be had quickly for less than $20 AUD, and we found that a good option compared to food that was no better, but twice the time and money.

Because I loved so many things about the hotel, I'm giving it a top rating, but I did have a few niggles:

1. The health club available to hotel guests within the complex doesn't belong to the hotel, and while the equipment was decent and plentiful, the steam room and change areas weren't of 5-star luxury status and the pool had been closed for an emergency issue.

2. I fully agree with other reviewer comments about staff attitude. Many were great but some were not. The concierge mentioned in an earlier review had a condescending attitude that was laughable and since it has been mentioned in more than one review, the manager should polish that up a bit.

3. I always get Hilton upgrades and never need to even ask, but I often have trouble getting the comp. upgrades with SPG. The young lady who checked us in didn't even mention my Gold status, and when I asked about the upgrade she simply responded that it was not guaranteed. I then indicated that I knew upgraded rooms were available for the length of our stay and that if she was having trouble finding them in inventory that perhaps we could consult the manager. That said, she produced the upgraded room in a blink.

The location is excellent and actually a bit quieter than some other tourist areas. Sydney is quite walkable, but ferry and bus service are both excellent and the Wynyard Station is 3 minutes away and gives train service direct to Circular Quay. We stayed a week and found the $46 combined transit pass a bargain, especially if you use the enjoyable ferry service and travel out to Bondi and Bronte Beaches.

The Opera House tour is memorable and if you arrive without having secured performance tickets in advance, it is wise to go immediately to the box office as soon as you arrive in the city, as seats to better-known performances can be difficult to come by and do sell out. The food hall at David Jones nearby is worth a look, especially for snacks and pastries, and if you are looking for a cocktail with the hip crowd, skip down George a few blocks toward the rocks to the Establishment.

• Stayed: September 2009