3,574 results
All reviewsmartin placeclock towerheavenly bedheritage roommosaic restaurantold post officegpo buildingtower roomsrain showerspg membercircular quayhealth clubbusiness hotelbeautiful hotelthe executive loungeroom servicestar hotel
Reviewed July 12, 2009

This was our first trip to Australia and we wanted to make sure we picked the right hotel and location. We chose the Westin Sydney because it is 100% smoke free. We arrived early morning and were greeted by a very nice bellman, who made sure our luggage was stored while we waited for a room. Once we got our room, the same bellman took us up to our room and was very helpful in showing us all the amenities the hotel had. We got to use their business center (open 24 hours) and their health club during our stay. Only thing that was disapointing was the pool being closed down due to repairs. The concierge was very helpful in providing us with a city map and walking/running routes. The location of the hotel was perfect. We did not have to take taxis, instead we walked to the Sydney Opera House, the Darling Harbour, the Quay, the Botanical Gardens, shops (arcades), the Rocks, etc... Although the Westin's restaurant is outstanding, we found out the building where the Westin is located has several other restaurants in the lower level of the building (Japanese, Italian, French, Spanish and a Steak House). However, during one of our walks, we found a food court about a block away from the hotel in the MLC Center building that offered all kinds of food that were not only delicious, but quite reasonable. But for dinner, you can't beat the quality of food and price at the Westin's Mosaic restaurant. All in all, we are glad we picked to stay at the Westin during our visit to Sydney.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank criticrus
Reviewed July 10, 2009

I stayed at the Westin, Sydney while waiting for my Corporate Apartment to get sorted out while on a 3 month secondment from work. This hotel and the room I stayed in were immaculate - incredible beds, extremely spacious, and the bathrooms were HEAVEN. The Westin is also very close to lots of shops and a great 'outdoor' mall.

A beautiful place to stay - though its probably pricey it is also probably worth it!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank RBill
Reviewed July 2, 2009

I write this review as a Gold Member and a member who stays at a number Starwood properties throughout the year. I had two stays at the Westin in June and really wanted to wait until I had finished my second stay before writing this review. The first stay was extended from a one night in a standard room - with points, to a paid three night stay in a suite/club lounge room. I had contacted the hotel reservations directly with my request to upgrade etc, which was handled well. Well until I get to reception. Total confusion with my booking ensued. Eventually solved or so I thought. The suite was large and comfortable with the usual Westin style. Seperate lounge and bedrooms both with flat screen TV's. Bathrom was clean large and smart. The bed/pillows need no introduction to me or my wife. They are great. On the 36th floor you would think that street sound would not be a problem? Wrong! Sound travels from the night clubs that surround the hotel in Martin Place as do the noisy cars. So if you are a very light sleeper then you will notice what is going on 36 floors below you. But to be fair it should only be a problem on Fridays or Saturday nights. On our second night we tried to get up to bedroom using the room card/key. Would not work. So after spending two trips in the lift trying to get the card to work we ended up at reception. We had to get new cards as we had as the hotel computer system said two seperate bookings. If we had have been told this at check in - then end of problem. Nothing major just darn iritating. So be aware if you have two consecutive bookings then a trip back to reception may be necessary.
The club lounge is the worst lounge I have ever visited. The seating/chairs are absolutely terrible - very uncomfortable and not welcoming. The nightly food offerings are terrible. The ambience is terrible. The size is terrible. The breakfasts offerings are terrible. The view is great. The staff are terrific. On our first morning to attend breakfast the lounge was well attended, with no table for my wife and I. We were told to wait. I mentioned that we could use the buffet down stairs only to be told we can but it would cost extra. I have never, ever been told that in all my visits to any club lounge in the world. On saying this was totally inappropriate a pair of seats became available. It was the most uncomfortable breakfast meal I have had for many a year. We asked for omelets, only to be told they cost extra!!!!! For the extra you pay for the pleasure of a club facility this offering by the Westin Sydney was a disgrace and total waste of money. My advice is do not pay the extra for this lounge it is terrible waste of time and money. The downstairs lounge/bar seating is also terrible. The beers/drinks are expensive, the service is terrific. Not a comfortable area to rest or lounge in.
Our second stay was for one night with points. Everything was handled well the room was excellent. A king bedded room overlooking the inner courtyard of the hotel. Superb bed etc. It was a stay that was enjoyed by us both. The buffet breakfast is superb with everything you could wish for.
It is a shame that two parts of this hotel spoil a very good hotel. The club lounge is a cheap shameful offering.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ausman57
Reviewed July 2, 2009

This review is particularly relevant for SPG platinum members. In May, I stayed at the Four Points, Sheraton, and Westin in Sydney. I was upgraded to a suite at each of the hotels. The Four Points is the worst of the three, but is cheaper generally too, so is good value. The Sheraton has the best club lounge, which they just renovated. Its huge, modern, and classy with floor to ceiling windows that have great views over the park. The Westin has the nicest rooms, especially the suites. It is modern and classy, done in neutral tones with natural materials. I love the bathroom with bath tub with a view of the city. The club lounge is adequate, but definitely not as nice or atmospheric as the one at the Sheraton. Also, the location here is a little more convenient to the Rocks, Circular Quay, and Darling Harbor than the Sheraton.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Luxe_Departures
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I stayed here one day after staying at the Sheraton on the Park just to see how the Westin compared.

It's a Westin. Beautiful premises. Beautiful rooms.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business