“Weekend in Sydney... Great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #32 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Weekend in Sydney... Great hotel”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is really beautiful. It's a short stroll from the train station which is nice and easy if you are coming from the airport.

Check in was quick although the desk staff were not very friendly and didn't tell us anything about the hotel amenities.

We had a room on the 27th floor that had great views down George St and Martin Place. The room was spacious with a beautiful bathroom.

The room service is quick and the food is delicious. The drinks especially coffee ($7), hot chocolate ($9) and juice ($13) are way over priced, but you can empty the fridge and put your own drinks in.

Overall this is a really nice hotel and I would recommend to anyone coming to Sydney. The location is great with a short walk to darling harbour and circular quay.

Stayed February 2014
SydneyManagement, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear spazwok

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and took comfort in our accommodation rooms. Thank you for your comments, we appreciate you sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Sydney.

Mark Burns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights on our way to Brisbane. Our room was a superior Heritage room & was very clean & tidy. The heavenly bed a Westin signature item was wonderful & the room was very clean & comfortable idea. We did not use the restaurants on site. The hours free Wi Fi in reception was handy & was well used by visitors. The location of the hotel is excellent for all the tourist attractions in Sydney, A very enjoyable stay. Recommended.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear spazwok

Warwickshire
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We stayed at the Westin on our first visit to Sydney. Great location and you cannot fail to be impressed by the reception area but we were distinctly unimpressed by the check-in. Polite but not at all friendly or welcoming, no offer of help with our bags. The room was very nice, spacious and well equipped, lovely view of the clock tower (it doesn't start chiming until 9am). fantastic shower. I liked the beds but my husband and son felt they were too soft and didn't sleep that well. As with many hotels the bathroom is open but easily shut off and the bath was a great size. We had a problem in that my husband cut his foot on the corner of the glass door to the toilet. I reported it to reception, just to let them know there had been blood on the floor. They showed no real concern, didn't offer to come and check the door, no apology - just 'is he alright now?' well yes, he was because I had a full 1st aid kit and put him back together but he couldn't wear shoes for 2 days. Again a poor show from that staffing area. Unfortunately, the swimming pool was a great let down. I totally agree with a previous reviewer. We were greeted by dirty towel bins, rusty stairs and a very uninviting pool - a shame because we love to swim after a busy day but not one of us had any inclination to swim there. I was sad that after having a wonderful hotel experience in Melbourne, The Westin let us down. It is an impressive hotel in a great location but overall I don't think we would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SLMWarwickshire
Dear SLMWarwickshire

Thank you for posting your review online following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are pleased to you could take advantage of our central location and however regret that your experienced did not quite meet you expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our hospitality and welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

It was a last minute trip to Sydney and found a good deal on last minute. When we arrived it was a speedy check in and the room itself was very clean and the bed was very comfy. The only real let down was the staff weren't as friendly as we are used to. There also was a lot of staff standing around and talking when they could of hailed us a taxi. If the staff were friendlier we would of tipped them. Overall apart from the staff who had the personalities of a wet dishcloth the stay was enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear KatIsMe

We are pleased to read your comments about your enjoyable experience at The Westin Sydney. Thank you for your observations and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The Westin Sydney is one of my favourite places in the harbour city. Its central location is hard to top and the rooms are as comfy as anything you'll find in this country. It's my go to place when I'm in town but maybe not for much longer. I booked a sweet deal on lastminute over Christmas and noted my preference for a twin room. When I checked in, I discovered there was none available. Fair call. I appreciate that booking on last minute search engines guarantees little but to be told quite rudely (by Edelwies) that I should be happy with what I get because I booked a discounted room was hard to stomach. I felt like a second class citizen.

Everything else was typically grand but the rebuke overshadowed everything else. Moral of story is if you book a discounted room, expect to be seen but not heard!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lunarboogie
SydneyManagement, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear Lunarboogie

We are appreciative for the time you took in conveying your feedback following your recent visit at The Westin Sydney and disappointed to read that your expectations were not entirely met on this occasion.

Thank you for your comments and we do hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our service.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Best location but worst of services from housekeeping and reception! Stayed there before and was looking for going back again but on this trip very disappointed especially with the beds pillows and the most annoying thing was the blankets! Totally stayed 5 nights and not one comfortable night of sleep. Complain about it but to no avail and not a word of apology. Never ever will going back again or will recommend to anyone this hotel. In conclusion.. and to my observation if you make booking directly with hotel you will get excellent service but if you book through internet or websites which I did on booking.com you can forget about being look after.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Sutham1

Thank you for posting your further comments on TripAdvisor. We trust you have received our previous correspondence addressing your feedback and we regret we were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Wynyard
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My first visit to the Westin in Sydney. Check in brought those lovely Westin scents (which I realised were the same as in another Westin I've used a fair bit - turns out it's the "signature" scent for Westin and really nice actually.........). All staff members I dealt with were excellent - each went out of their way to be pleasant, courteous and helpful.

The room was nice, although quite a bit smaller than my preferred Sydney 5 star and as I was going down the cheapskate route (anonymous booking site!) I guess I found myself in one of the lesser rooms. That is perfectly fair - you get what you pay for........

However, that meant that I had an internal view rather than an outside window - not ideal, but tolerable if the price is right.

The interior of the building is really nice though - a lovely modelling around a classic building with some really nice heritage parts retained.

There was a more than reasonable free lobby wifi service (which btw worked in the rooms!) and a really good gym - good in terms of facilities and equipment, but also in terms of staff expertise, classes and the inspiration provided by its members.

I do like to find a hotel with a full service gym which has external members rather than just the sorry excuse for an "exercise room" that some hotels provide.

On that basis alone, the Westin joins my select group of about 5 downtown 5 star hotels that I would have no problem in revisiting.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear JohnDougall

We were delighted to read your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney and pleased you were comfortable in our care. Thank you for your recommendations and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.