“Great location and service - good gym.”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #32 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Wynyard
“Great location and service - good gym.”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My first visit to the Westin in Sydney. Check in brought those lovely Westin scents (which I realised were the same as in another Westin I've used a fair bit - turns out it's the "signature" scent for Westin and really nice actually.........). All staff members I dealt with were excellent - each went out of their way to be pleasant, courteous and helpful.

The room was nice, although quite a bit smaller than my preferred Sydney 5 star and as I was going down the cheapskate route (anonymous booking site!) I guess I found myself in one of the lesser rooms. That is perfectly fair - you get what you pay for........

However, that meant that I had an internal view rather than an outside window - not ideal, but tolerable if the price is right.

The interior of the building is really nice though - a lovely modelling around a classic building with some really nice heritage parts retained.

There was a more than reasonable free lobby wifi service (which btw worked in the rooms!) and a really good gym - good in terms of facilities and equipment, but also in terms of staff expertise, classes and the inspiration provided by its members.

I do like to find a hotel with a full service gym which has external members rather than just the sorry excuse for an "exercise room" that some hotels provide.

On that basis alone, the Westin joins my select group of about 5 downtown 5 star hotels that I would have no problem in revisiting.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
SydneyManagement, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Dear JohnDougall

We were delighted to read your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney and pleased you were comfortable in our care. Thank you for your recommendations and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Mark Burns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York, NY
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I recently stayed her for 2 nights with a few friends. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Jeremy in particular went above and beyond the call of duty helping me to track down an item I had left at a previous hotel.

Standard King sized rooms were spacious with VERY nice bathrooms. Showers had excellent pressure the and the tub was perfect for a relaxing bath. There was ample counter space.

Wifi is not complimentary, but if you go to the front desk, you can ask for a pass code that will be good for 1 hour in the lobby.

The hotel's location is well situated with close proximity to Sydney Harbour and The Rocks as well as Hyde Park.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 12 line had a window from the bathroom into the bedroom.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear ndesplat

Thank you for sharing your comments following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted you had an enjoyable stay and could take advantage of our central location. Thank you for acknowledging our associates, we will be sure to pass along your recognition to the wider team. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sydney.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Westin with my boyfriend in January 2014. We often stay at hotels all over the world and when the opportunity comes we like to treat ourselves.

We have stayed in Sydney several times and decided to give somewhere new a try. Conde Nast Traveller had rated the Westin and Four Seasons very highly and after reading reviews the Westin seemed to be slightly better (a few negative reviews regarding Four Seasons being run down).

We booked the Executive Suite which was more than $600 per night expecting that it would be very nice at a highly rated hotel.

The hotel was well located and the man at check in was polite. We headed up to our room and when we walked in we were unfortunately disappointed.

The room was very aged and I felt like I had walked into an 80s hotel. The suite was poorly designed and the rooms were very separate which made it seem small. We opened the curtains to reveal floor to ceiling glass with a view of the city (nice but not overally exciting). The windows were an absolute mess with brown water marks and dust all over the outside covering every centimetre which ruined the view.

The room was brown, cream and yellow and was just hideous to be honest. It just wasn't what I had expected considering photos showing the rooms to look quite modern and lovely.

As for room service, we ordered a very average meal late at night. 2 toasted sandwiches (which arrived cold as ice), a cheese plate and 2 glasses of wine cost over $150 and took an hour to arrive.

Lastly, the suite included lounge access. The lounge was very tiny with quite a blocked view. I was shocked after spending the last few trips in the Intercontinental Sydney lounge which is AMAZING! There was only one toilet which was unisex. The service was lovely but the food etc was very limited. Breakfast in the morning was quite limited again.

All in all a very average stay for a high price. If your standards are high and you are looking for somewhere nice to spend your money I wouldn't bother. If you can afford it your money will be better spent at the Park Hyatt (easily the best hotel and location in Sydney) or at the Intercontinental - make sure you book a club room for the out of this world views!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Camm8
Dear Callyn83

Thank you for posting your feedback online following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney and we regret your experience did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your comments, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I got to admit, the moment from moment I checked in I was amazed the top class service offer by this hotel. Flew in from Melbourne, very tired after work, i was upgraded to this massive room with stunning views of the clock tower. Must admit, the room was very spacious with all modern amenities. Very spaces bathroom, with tv sound control in spa bath. The breakfast was delicious. I would highly recommend this hotel for business travellers.

Room Tip: You may get upgraded if you SPG member.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
SydneyManagement, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear Sadi I

Thank you for conveying your feedback following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are thrilled you could take comfort in our accommodation rooms and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The Westin is a great, modern hotel set in the old Post Office in the middle of Sydney at Martin Place, which is near Wynyard.
It is a fabulous hotel and rooms are immaculate and very functional.
This is the best bit.....the "Heavenly beds" are divine. You can buy them and the linen for your home which I am going to do.
I am a lousy sleeper and I slept so well every night. It was the highlight of my stay.
Great staff here.
Valet service a bit exxy ( expensive ) at $69 however very,very fast and efficient. A big thank you to Michael and Sachin for their prompt valet service.
The Westin has a great rewards program and there are levels of the hotel just for members. I highly recommend joining the hotel rewards program before checking in !
The location in Sydney is brilliant. Walking to Circular Quay for the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge is an easy, flat 10 minute walk. Driving here is tricky but just head for Pitt Street and it is on the right.
One great little secret is Lorraine's Patisserie located next to The Ivy on George Street. 3 minutes walk. She is like Australia's answer to Martha Stewart. Try her famous Date Tart.

Room Tip: Join the Rewards Program !
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Eoin L

We are appreciative of your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted you could take advantage of our central location and experience the stunning architecture of the former General Post Office building and Clock Tower. Thank you for acknowledging our associates, we will be sure to pass along your recognition to the wider team. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

This used to be one of my favourite hotels in Sydney. Attended a conference and the service has deteriorated. The location is excellent and the rooms are still nice but they need a refresh - TVs, furniture are a little worn. I probably got one of the worst rooms on a low flow with no views. It's fine for work as I was out if the room most of the day.

Service is poor at breakfast - very slow to be seated. Staff are sometimes oblivious to guests and continue chatting to each other. Little things such as missing cutlery, sugar from the table are just annoying in a 5 star establishment.

Front desk were very good but concierge can be surly. The Westin has lost it's shine - time to move on.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PhotoMD
SydneyManagement, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear PhotoMD

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are appreciative of your comments and naturally disappointed you were not totally satisfied with your experience on this occasion. Please rest assured that we have shared your observations with the wider management team for training and development purposes and we will certainly take it into account when we next review our service offering. We do hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our hospitality and welcome you back again.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Flew to Sydney on a sudden trip and chose to stay at the Westin, with a room for me and one for my compatriot. Arrived on a late flight at about 1.30 pm and was very politely welcomed to the hotel at the check-in counter. Very efficient check-in procedure and wide were allocated rooms in the Heritage wing. When I got to my room I could not believe its size with a separate entry and then off this to the right the huge bathroom (with separate shower and bath) and a separate cloak room to the right. The bedroom part itself was huge and the bed was delightful. The room looked over Martin Place so after my business I sat watching the passing parade with a nice drink.
The coffee lounge and bar is on the ground floor and is very tastefully decorated.
The staff were very efficient and pleasant and nothing was too much for them.
Overall a wonderful hotel, beautifully decorated with a great location for business.
Strongly recomended.

Room Tip: Ask for the heritage rooms - if possible a corner room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business