“Terrible service! Yep - they messed up” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #32 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne
“Terrible service! Yep - they messed up”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

For a five star rated hotel, it needs to understand, that it not about them, it's about the customer! Yes, that's a whack and its justified. I could not get breakfast, because the staff did not want to give 2 of us a 4 person setting, as they were very busy and told us to wait. They were keeping tables for 4 in reserves, when we pushed - they relented and allowed us to sit. Wow - I have stayed in much less glamorous hotels, but they were happy to see me. So raise the standard, train the staff or get out of running hotels. Would recommend that you don't stay here! I don't often give negative reviews, but this was justified.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank sneferu
SydneyManagement, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear sneferu

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us. We are disappointed to learn of your experience with our breakfast service and concerned that we have failed to achieve the high level of service we strive to maintain. Rest assured we have shared your constructive commentary with our management team to review and address accordingly with their teams. We do hope to have the opportunity to restore your faith in our service in the future.

Mark Burns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
cardiff, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night on business. Very nice downtown location and the room was excellent. The only issue was in the morning all water was Luke warm. I mentioned it to reception when checking out whom were somewhat apologetic but made no offer of recompense. Left feeling disappointed as a result. Shame as it really is a very nice hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wilko51
Dear wilko51

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted our location and rooms met your needs however concerned regarding your experience with the bathroom. Rest assured we have shared your observations with our management team to address accordingly. We are grateful for your recommendation and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back and restore your faith in ours service.

Stonington, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This is not a cheap hotel, but if you can find a deal or make it work for you, it's definitely my favourite hotel in the Sydney CBD.

It' a converted old Post Office building and the architects did a fantastic job at getting the infrastructure of a hotel into the existing structure. The room is one of the best I have ever stayed in, with a wonderful bathroom and marvelous interior decor.

Lobby is phenomenally high and there's a nice bar to sit and watch the world go by. Order a Cooper's Original (green) and make sure the waiter/waitress serves it correctly by rolling the bottle before pouring.

Couldn't be a better location unless you really need to be on the water.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Raoul M
Dear Raoul M

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are pleased you were comfortable in our care and could appreciate the stunning architecture of the former General Post Office building and Clock Tower. We are also delighted that you found our accommodation rooms to your liking and you had the opportunity to relax in The Bar, Lounge and Room under our magnificent atrium.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

After recently staying at The Westin Sydney for four nights on our first trip to Australia, I highly recommend this property based upon the service, accommodations and the central location.

This hotel is built around an historic post office building and has two sections: Heritage Rooms in the post office building and Tower Rooms in a newer, high-rise section of the hotel. We were fortunate enough to receive our SPG Platinum upgrade to a Tower Premium Room which had a spectacular view of Sydney and the old post office's signature clock tower. We found the room to be immaculate, and the bathroom was spacious (and the best we've ever had at any hotel) offering a large bathtub and a separate rain shower. The hotel has a very historic, yet trendy, feel and the public areas are beautiful.

Another real plus of this hotel is the location. You can safely walk to Circular Quay, the Opera House, the Rocks neighborhood, shopping, etc. in just a few minutes -- You are within easy walking distance of everything that central Sydney offers! Plus, the train to the airport is about two blocks away (Wynyard Station) which made getting from/to the airport very convenient (it cost us $15.90 per person, one way from the international terminal to Wynyard Station -- a very easy trip).

This property also had a wonderful Executive Club. The lounge offers breakfast daily, newspapers, light snacks throughout the day and free cocktails and canapes in the evening. It is staffed with friendly, attentive staff who were always welcoming to us.

Additionally, I want to mention the fitness facility. We were expecting a typical hotel fitness room, but, after we followed the signs to the fitness area, we discovered guests have access to a multi-level, local health club housed within the Westin complex. The health club includes a pool, equipment and fitness classes -- a real surprise!

Finally, the staff at the hotel were friendly, and all of our interactions were positive! We especially appreciated the concierge (Ron) who gave us suggestions on itineraries each day and helped us book a special tour at the Taronga Zoo (and had the ticket confirmation delivered to our room while we were out for the day -- a nice touch).

Overall, we had an excellent experience at The Westin Sydney, and I would return to the hotel the next time we have the opportunity to visit Sydney! It offered us a lovely holiday experience.

Room Tip: There are two sections to this hotel: Heritage Rooms in the historic post office building and Tower...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OnTheGoGuy
Dear OnTheGoGuy

We are grateful for your continued loyalty and are pleased that you had a memorable experience in our care. We are delighted you could take advantage of our central location as well as our facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Las Pinas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was disappointed with the service of this highly recommended hotel. The location is excellent though and the Filipino staff are the saving grace of my stay here in this overrated hotel. Upon my arrival I was very tired from a gruelling 16 hours travel from my country only to find out that the rooms are not yet ready for occupancy. I was given another room facing another building and without a view!
The reception staff was not sympathetic and was cold to my needs! I told him I cant wait in the lobby for a room because I am so dead tired but he just told me he is trying his best. Only after prodding him for a long while and after I have sported an angry tired look on my face did he offered another room to me which is not what I have booked for but nevertheless I didnt mind because I needed to sleep.
The oriental staff were most helpful though and how I wish they could employ more of them especially in the reception area. The staff of oriental descent really go out of their way to please you and help you out in whatever way they can!
There was no welcome tokens like fruits or chocolates or candies when I entered the room for the first day unlike most of the hotels in other parts of the world in this class or stature.
The breakfast buffet is not as impressive and delicious as other hotels of their category. Even choices are limited. The ambience of the restaurant is great because you will dine under a clear roof with the bluesky readily above you!
When we arrived the porters were not helpful. It is our van driver who attended to our baggages. However when we were departing, the filipino porter served us well and took care of our baggages from the room straight to the airport van!
The rooms are the usual western type rooms. There were no free bottled water as they are on a conservation program for water and also for reduction of plastic waste. Guests are encouraged to drink tap water. The basic amenities are supplied but you have to ask for them. The amenities are not routinely available like dental kits, slippers etc. furthermore, once you used the bath robes it is not automatically replaced. You have to call housekeeping to replace the bathrobes. I ended up having to call housekeeping many times during my stay for this and that. Although they serve it to you promptly most of the times, I find it a big hassle to be calling for this and that whereas it should have been supplied there in the first place!
The room was veryclean though and the sheets are immaculate as well as the towels. The bath gel and soaps are perfect for my skin. It gave the right moisture. The other basic necessities for female are in the bathroom like hairdryer. There is also a safe in the room altough the hotel is a safe place to stay. The staff are honest. There are so many elevators.
The wifi is only accessible in the lobby. I find this highly inconvenient!
The location is very ideal because it is a short distance from cole supermarket and from the train station. You can go anywhere easily from here. The main attractions are wlaking distance away like the skywalk, major quays, shopping districts, etc.
Overall I still found my stay pleasant inspite of the minor hitches here and there! Would highly recommend this hotel still.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay area or the main streets. Get a room on the higher floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear NuneLasPinas

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted our associates took great care of you and you could take advantage of our location. We are however sorry to read that we didn’t exceed all your expectations on this occasion. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Great location, close to pitt street mall , walking distance to circular quay. Bathrooms spacious with separate shower. Stayed at numerous Westin hotels and they are one of the few places I don't have to drag my pillow along to!, beds and pillows very comfortable, the best hotel beds I would say.. . Our room was ready when we checked in at 10.30am, staff friendly and efficient.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jlcreeley

Thank you for sharing your review following your experience at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted you had an enjoyable stay and could take advantage of our central location. We are also pleased you could take comfort in our signature Heavenly® Beds and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here 10 years ago for our honeymoon and decided to have a night there to celebrate our anniversary. This hotel is still the great hotel it was 10 years ago. Awesome service, nice rooms and facilities and well located. I have no problems recommending this hotel and its staff. Thank you for another great stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SydneyManagement, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear DavidB1005_13

We are grateful for your continued loyalty and are pleased that you had a memorable experience in our care to celebrate your 10th wedding anniversary. We look forward to welcoming you back again for many more special occasions.