“Never again”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #34 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Very upset with the service. Regretted writing a positive review before. Not the first time staying with Westin but was treated shabbily by the In house reservation lady. They have lost my business, in the future would rather stay at Meriton or Hilton. At least they are more reasonable and accommodative towards their guests.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank TrisnoK
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear TrisnoK

We regret that your experience on this occasion was not up to the standards we strive to achieve. Should you wish to provide any further details so we may investigate with our team please contact the hotel directly at westin.sydney@westin.com. Thank you for your comments and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Mark Burns

Write a ReviewReviews (3,322)

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I booked through Wotif.com as a mystery hotel with five stars and so glad I got this fabulous hotel. I had just had a tooth extraction and wanted somewhere close and quiet for the night and was not disappointed. The room was just on the first floor with no view but didn't care as all i wanted was to not be disturbed which is often a problem with other hotels I've stayed in. I did manage to eat and the food was amazing and huge portions. I ate in my room and the continental breakfast this morning was delicious and fresh with wonderful fruits, yoghurt and juice. Beautiful big bathroom, large rainwater shower, a hairdryer that's 'normal' and not attached to the wall and a large illuminated makeup mirror which makes a nice change to other hotels I've stayed in as well. All in all I felt this was a very stylish and comfortable hotel with lovely finishes.and lots of space. I will definitely be recommending it to my friends and staying again myself in the future. Oh and the service was warm and friendly and the express checkout very simple. 10/10 for everything. Thank you.

Room Tip: I booked my room as a mystery through Wotif.com and wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Janet S

Dear Janet S

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience at The Westin Sydney and took advantage of our spacious rooms, convenient in-room dining service and indulgent rainforest shower. We hope that you recovered quickly from your procedure and look forward to welcoming you back when you can enjoy all of our facilities without the discomfort caused by your tooth extraction.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Ever stayed in a hotel for 1 night and been charged for 2 nights' parking?
I have....only at the Westin Sydney. I was looking forward to a night away sans kids and organised for a late check-out. At the reception desk on departure I was charged $130 for parkihg, reflecting 2 nights' charges($65/night) as I had surpassed 24 hours.At no stage had I been informed by Valet staff, check-in staff or anyone else about this 24 hour limit. I hoped to have things sorted out with the Manager the following day only to be told "it was not the responsiblity of the hotel with these charges as the parking station is outsourced" ie that's your problem. I have been affiliated with Starwood since 1999, and this has left a bad taste in my mouth and a very negative lasting impression with me. So much for service and caring for the customer!!

Dear Kevin W

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are disappointed to hear of your experience was tarnished by our parking arrangement. The Secure Parking facility located beneath the hotel is operated independently to The Westin Sydney however we are fortunate to have a negotiated rate of $65 per 24 hour period for hotel guests, we apologise this was not effectively communicated to you. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Sydney to restore your faith in our service.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I purely booked the room for the 'plunge bath'. I do not have a bath at home as we are renovating. Travelled 5 hours to sydney to go to hospital as I have a terminal illness. All I wanted was a hot bath at the end of the day. We moved rooms yesterday (yes I am writing this from the hotel and tonight is our last night here) because our bath dribbled hot water and tap did not work. I explained I came to stay at this 5 star establishment because of the plunge bath so it was very important to me, they kindly offered for us to relocate to another room. The new room was fine, however on day 2 when I spent a gruelling 12 hours at the RPA hospital doing chemo, I wanted to come and bathe, relax, and then meet my friend for an early dinner, when I arrived home the first thing I did was go to turn on the bath, and NO HOT WATER AT ALL. They said we should have been informed and apologised to, we weren't!

We paid alot of money and due to me not having much more time to live this was meant to be a special trip for us to enjoy and a nice place for me to relax, now I'm sitting here crying because the receptionist just didnt sympathise with me. Very disappointed nothing was offered at all for the absolute inconvienance and emotional stress this has caiused me. The manager stated this was a ONE OFF however as we weren't offered a discount, or a drink at the bar even, we feel this must be ongoing and the staff have been told to offer ZERO compensation. We are due to check out on 28/06/13

1  Thank Foodlover8571
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Foodlover8571

Thank you for providing further feedback on Trip Advisor. We trust you recieved our seperate correspondence and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a city getaway on a Friday night. Despite the fact that it was a busy evening, I appreciated the time that was taken for the check-in staff to say that little word that means so much, "Welcome."

Our room was so comfortable and was on Level 28, meaning we had easy access to the executive lounge. It was relaxing to have a glass of champagne and some canapés while reading a few luxury travel mags and dream. The atmosphere reminded me a little of a Qantas Club lounge and seemed to comprise mostly older couples. After a busy working week, we decided to stay in and order room service for dinner. The menu was on the expensive side. After all our canapés we just shared a club sandwich and had a few drinks at the lobby bar.

We had breakfast at the executive lounge, which was pleasant. I enjoyed the bircher muesli but the rest was stock standard. In my mind, I would recommend paying the extra for the buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which we remembered to be exceptional. Valet parking was
expensive at $65. I would certainly recommend the Westin for a very comfortable stay and to treat yourself or a special person.

2  Thank Stargirl201
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Stargirl201

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted to hear that our associates made you feel welcome. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed for two nights last weekend with my husband for a quick break. The staff were friendly at checkin and valet parking.Our room was in the Heritage wing and was one of the biggest I have ever stayed in in Sydney. Beautifully furnished with a king 'heavenly' bed which was so comfortable, ditto the pillows. The bathroom had both rainforest shower and huge bath with a wide flat surround, perfect for balancing a glass of whatever you fancy! The hotel is very well located, we managed to get from it to the Westfield Shopping centre without getting wet (torrential rain all weekend). It's near lots of restaurants, notably Spice Temple and Rock Pool bar and grill on Blight St and The Bridge Room, on Bridge St. Both walking distance and not to be missed.
The downside was the room service breakfast which was very poor quality and very expensive, $93 for 2 eggs florentine a side of sausage and bacon, two coffees and a carrot and ginger juice. The eggs were over done, the muffins were soggy (eggs not properly drained) and the spinach was unseasoned. The sides were uninspiring and a bit anaemic looking.It was also rather cold. The coffee and juice were nice.

Dear elsie18A

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay. We are uplifted to hear you enjoyed our signature Heavenly ® bed, rainforest shower and deep plunge bath, all designed to enhance your level of comfort. We are disappointed that your in-room dining experience was not up to the level of service we aim to provide. Your comments have been forwarded on to the relevant management for follow up. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Westin Sydney.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The spg preferred rooms were very spacious and quiet. This Westin offers a nice club lounge, an excellent fitness facility as well as a variety of restaurants in the building. The Westin is centrally located within walking distance to the harbour, many shops and restaurants etc...

Room Tip: SPG platinum for upgrades!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Sunbound

Dear Sunbound

We are thrilled you could take advantage of the facilities located in the No.1 Martin Place complex and the surrounding shops, restaurants and iconic sites within walking distance of the hotel. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.