“great hotel in sydney”

Ranked #31 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Welwyn, United Kingdom
“great hotel in sydney”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed for four night here, n the whole the hotel is very good. We stayed in the older part of the hotel which was lovely. Really big rooms and very comfortable. Only down sides of the room was the shower leaked over the floor and there was some outside noise as we were near the road. The noise was not enough to stop you sleeping as you got used to it. We did not try out the breakfast as it was extremely expensive instead you can get a very nice pastry from Coles around the corner. The location and service as the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear JJW63

Thank you for posting your further feedback on Trip Advisor. We trust you have recieved our prior correspondence and do hope to welcome you back in July.

Mark Burns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (697)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Right in the city, easy walk to The Rocks and Circular Quay. The bed was awesome, very comfortable. The Mosaic breakfast buffet was wonderful, but make sure it's already included in the room price, as it is expensive. Great staff!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Marnie72
Dear Marnie72

Thank you for sharing your comments following your stay at The Westin Sydney. We are pleased you could take advantage of our central location and delighted you could enjoy the SuperFoodsRX buffet breakfast in Mosaic Restaurant. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Just a quick one-night stay for business. Staff were very professional and provided god service, especially as we were rushing for meetings. Check-in was fast, except they tried to sell their frequent stay scheme - didn't have time. Great position. Rooms and facilities were excellent. Even though in the centre of the city and with a room looking onto the central foyer - no noise. Great night sleep.

Up early and staff very helpful in check out and getting our car. Definitely stay again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank VicAusTraveller
Dear VicAusTraveller

Thank you for your review following your overnight stay at The Westin Sydney. We are pleased our assocaites took great care of you and that you could enjoy a restful night sleep in our signature Heavenly bed. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back agin in the near future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 12, 2013

This must be the bargain nice hotel in Sydney. I was blown away by the rooms (at least in the tower wing), which are outright beautiful. My room even still had that "new room" smell, so U suspect that it was renovated very recently.

The checkin staff was very friendly and extremely professional, the price is very good given that this room is nicer than the Park Hyatt Melbourne and could just as well be at any Four Seasons property. Of course this isn't a 5 star hotel when it comes to service (no turndown service, etc.), but it is an extremely good 4 star hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lily33532
Dear Lily33532

We are appreciative of your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted you were comfortable in one of our Tower Rooms and pleased you had an enjoyable stay. We do offer a turn down service on request, please do highlight this preference on arrival for any future stays. Thank you for your recognition of our associates and we look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Westin is one of my favourite hotels in the city area. From the moment you slip inside away from the hustle of George St there is an air of opulence and luxury, but there is something else along the lines of relaxation there too. Loved the rain shower, the bed was fantastic and the room was very big. The only thing lacking was the view - we just looked out onto a couple of buildings.

All in all a wonderful stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alexricia
Dear alexricia

Thank you for sharing your comments following a recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are delighted you were comfortable in our care and could indulge in the rainforest shower and our signature Heavenly beds. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The Westin remains in our hearts but is over shadowing by better hotels throughout the region. Service is decent but not a patch on a hotel group like the Ritz or the Mandarin ; facilities are good but again others are better. Its fair to say that this is lofty competition to be up against but when compared the Westin just isn't the best. It is however a very nice hotel with comfortable rooms and all the amenities you could need in a great location in a great city. Enjoy it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear MaxBethune

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent stay at The Westin Sydney. We are pleased you enjoy staying with us however are disappointed that we did meet your expectations in comparison to other properties on your most recent stay. Thank you for your recommendation and we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Sydney Australia
Reviewed April 11, 2013

First of all some scene setting.
Read my review of this Hotel earlier it is a great property.
I am a Starwood Ambassador Guest (supposedly one of their top clients!)
I made a booking through my Starwood Ambassador for the weekend of 12-14 April 2013 for my mothers birthday. We had family flying in from interstate. We always book an Executive Suite at this Hotel as they are brilliant. They have a seperate bedroom, two bathrooms so my elderly mother can go to bed when she wants and the rest of the family catch up in the living room and use the seperate bathroom. As my mum is elderly I stay in the room with her to make sure she is alright. I stay on a roll away as the bedroom has a king bed.
When we stay here we have room service dinners and breakfasts and also eat at the hotel and drink at the bars so we are high yielding guests.
So room booked. Guests from interstate due. My mum and family looking forward to luxury weekend away.
4.30 pm the day BEFORE we are DUE to arrive I get a call. They no longer allow rollaways in the suites. I ask the lady who called why response is 'Its the hotel policy since mid way through last year'. No proper explanation! I indicated that at Christmas a mere 3 months ago they allowed this! I get a promise that she will call back. She offers a downgrade to a twin bedded room. I try explain (not that I should have to) why we need a suite and that we have generally always stayed in suites here after we discovered them. She promises her supervisor will call.
He calls and his attitude is APPALLING! He first of all is completely inflexible. When I ask why the room, which is huge, cannot accomodate a rollaway he again robotically says 'Its hotel Policy'. When pushed he says 'For the Comfort of guests'. To which I say exactly I don't want to share a bed with my mother! He then says curiously 'Well they damage the furnishings in the Suite'. He literrally then says 'On this occassion I will make an exception but in future you will have to rethink your accomodations!'. Is this hospitality or what. I FELT VERY UNWELCOME. It was hardly emrbacing a customer. Let alone a supposedly important one. I've never been made to feel like trash by a hotel but this guy achieved it!!!!!!!!!
That was it. I tried to get an alternate room somewhere else but Sydney is full this weekend apart from the Westin which on its website still had rooms at great rates. No wonder considering how I learned they value clients.
I considered still going as we do have relatives booked in but after the way I was made to feel on the phone I thought I never want to step in the place again.
They really don't care about revenue do they? nor about customers as they are so inflexible.
Funny thing is we have dined in the restaurant since the hotel opened and the staff know us by name. We have stayed there many times but after today never ever again. Its the worst experience I have ever had with a hotel. We even got all or realtives to move from Sheraton on the Park to the Westin.
They are holding 3 bookings for my 50th birthday weekend in July. And my cousins, father, brothers were all also going to book there. 8 rooms in all it will have been but after this they can forget it. I reckon the revenue from that would have been near a 5th of that 'Managers' annual salary. They can do the maths.
The Manager with attitude (who has no business working in Hotels) said he was compromising with me by allowing it this time. Have you ever seen a 5 star hotel advertise they are great at compromise???? Its a joke right?
Now I know some Guest Relations Manager or even the General Manager will post a reply to this soon after it gets posted here but I will be sending him a copy of this anyway and a copy to the CEO of Starwood. What should have happened is that they let our reservation sail through this time and lived with a rollaway in their suite and notified me on future bookings saying no rollaways. NOT leave it till 24 hours before we arrive to tell me and then give me attitude and make me feel like they were doing me a massive favour when in fact I was paying for it!. They could also post it on their website or have told my Ambassador when she booked and we would have made other plans.
They ruined a long planned and looked forward to weekend away. Don't stay here the attitude of the staff behind the scenes is appalling.
This isn't 5 star they treat guests the way a welfare office treat their clients as something to boss around and fit in with their views.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank JJW63
The_Westin_Sydney, General Manager at The Westin Sydney, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear JJW63

Thank you for your further post of Trip Advisor. We trust you have recieved our prior correspondence and do hope to welcome you back in July.