“One issue at checkin; otherwise a flawless experience”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #34 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Chicago, Illinois
“One issue at checkin; otherwise a flawless experience”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a few days while passing through Sydney on vacation. Given our platinum status with Starwood (i.e., we have more than 80 stays last year), we were given the option of a flexible checkin time. Since we were coming into town on a redeye, we selected a 9am checkin. When we got to the hotel, we were a bit disappointed by the man who was assigned to help us at the front desk. He was not at the Platinum checkin desk; rather, we visited the first hotel representative available. We arrived around 8:30am and the room was not ready. Since it seemed as though the hotel was at full capacity the night before, I completely understood that the room wouldn't be ready 30 minutes early. However, he proceeded to tell us that the early checkin was a "Starwood thing" and not a "Westin Sydney" thing. He said housekeeping didn't even start until 9am so the "guaranteed checkin" that I had a printout of was not really his issue. He proceeded to tell us to call the Starwood 800 phone number and talk to them about it. Since we were traveling internationally, that didn't make a lot of sense as our cell phones didn't work. We eventually got everything sorted out and got into our room around 1pm. That was the "black eye" of this hotel experience. Everything else was wonderful. If given the opportunity, I would highly recommend getting access to their concierge lounge. They have a top notch breakfast and evening drinks available. Their breakfast was very nicely done, and the ladies who provided drinks and cleaned up the tables were very classy, hard working, and extremely professional. Our room was perfect. The hotel was obviously very recently renovated and the finishes in the room were perfect. The carpet, bedding and towels was all very high-end. The bathroom was large and there were plenty of towels, soaps, and lotions. The location was good, but there is a Marriott down the road that is actually more convenient to the harbor. However, you are still within walking distance of the tourist spots at this hotel. I give this hotel top marks since I can't allow one unprofessional staff member impact what otherwise was a flawless experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This is my second trip here. While I enjoyed it the first time I tried a couple of different hotels on my subsequent trips so I could be closer to the Quay for running and have a better view. While the other hotels provided that, they absolutely could not match the level of comfort and amenities that The Westin has. From the bed, to the bathroom, to the gym, everything is wonderfully appointed. This past trip I stayed in an executive suite which was incredibly spacious, and had access to the executive club which was nice, but the standard tower rooms are great as well. All in all, great place to stay in the CBD.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Wow, impressive from the minute the cab pulled up. Bags grabbed from the taxi and on the pavement before I could even pay the fare.

Glass, huge areas of uncluttered space brand new and old world too as part of the hotel is part of the old General Post Office Building in Martin Place.

Slick service is what you imagine and that is exactly what you get. Reception staff, look at you as they check you in, use your name, smile and seem they want to be serving you be you in jeans or the latest de rigeur. Yes there are guys who are super cool with ear phones hanging about but don't be intimidated they are the good guys working the hotel foyer and reception areas.

My room was beautiful, all glass and marble, everything I needed was supplied and replenished without even having to ask. I stayed in the new part of the hotel and loved it's modernity, but there are rooms in the old building should you fancy a touch of old world charm.

The location is terrific, ten minutes out the door on foot you are at Circular Quay and all the sights you can cram in, from the bridge, the liners, the iconic Opera House, the upmarket cafes and bars, the crowds, the ferries and if you want it the tourist tat shops!

My stay at the Westin, was sensational, would I go back, yes, I might want to try a suite but with the room I had it was just perfect.

The layout of the hotel may be a drawback for some as to get to places like the Business Centre, the Gym and the pool it is a bit of a hike into the old building across wide bridges under a glass atrium. For some it may get a little noisy and bewildering with so many people as be aware this is not just an hotel it is a destination for much of the city's social butter flies.

For me it was fine and I cannot praise this hotel enough! Superb!

Room Tip: I loved the new rooms and the higher up, the better the view but some rooms only have narrow vistas.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
South Shields
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed here in November 2012 for 2 nights. Just amazing from beginning to end. Five star luxury hotel based on the old Sydney GPO. Amazing views of surrounding skyscrapers and streets with use of Executive Lounge for pre-dinner drinks and snacks. Rooms are brand new and ultra-modern luxury. Breakfast choice and quality unbeatable. Fabulous all round. Perfectly placed in Martin Square, right in the heart of Sydney's bustling CBD, five minutes walk from Circular Quay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Waikanae, New Zealand
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My daughter and I had a 'girls' weekend in Sydney and we stayed at the Westin in a tower room. The hotels architecture is impressive in the historic section and our rooms in the tower block were excellent. We had a twin room with 2 georgeous beds, huge bathroom, dressing area and flat screen TV. We had a lovely view out toward the clock tower, initially I was concerned about that as the bell chimed each half hour but come evening the chiming stopped. The staff were helpful and friendly. The room was immacuately clean.
The best thing about this hotel was the location, right in the middle of the CBD, perfect for a shopping and show weekend. We were within easy walking distance of the malls, Darling Harbour resturants and attractions and Capitol Theatre. Whenever we were overloaded with shopping bags we could just pop back to the hotel to drop them off and head out again!.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Beautiful hotel situated in the heart of the CBD. Location is amazing, close proximity to the many restaurants/shops/bars that Sydney has to offer. The interior decor especially the lobby area is beautifully crafted. Rooms are great - quite spacious, modern & very clean. However felt that the breakfast buffet spread is quite limited in relation to other hotels. Staff are generally very friendly - though no one came to greet us at arrival/no help provided with luggage & there was a very long queue for check-in. Despite these hiccups, overall very happy with the Westin!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MariaChristiana
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is one of those places that talks a good talk, and for the most part presents well, but what ruined our stay was some of the ridiculously expensive pricing. There are four bars in the GPO within 20 meters of the Westin's lobby. All those bars manage to charge still high priced but respectable prices for their drink. Sure, they aren't in the hotel as such. But when you are charging $12.50 for Gordons Gin (the most basic Gin available) in the lobby bar, that is extortionate - there's no need to rip people off like that! A reasonable price would have been $8. In the morning we arrived breakfast slightly too late for the buffet and had to settle for the ala carte - as another example - if you wanted a cup of coffee, which you could get for $3.00 in a cafe outside, you're looking at $7.00 a pop. I usually have two or three coffees at breakfast - this would have equated to more than I was paying for the pancakes I ordered. Nice enough place but it isn't in the league where it should be charging 6-7 star deluxe prices...This turned me off enough to never come back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple