“Good but not for the holiday traveller”
Review of The Westin Sydney

The Westin Sydney
Ranked #34 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We stayed here as our first port of call on a tour of Australia. It is in a great location and we had a good sized room. We booked a tower superior room (wanting a view). The first room was on floor 8, just above the internal roof and with no view. Reception was happy to change this. The room on floor 25 was a good size with many nice features, perfect for those first jet lagged nights. We ended up not eating breakfast any morning nor using the WiFi. The hotel is aimed at the business traveller and so both are priced way above their actual real value (especially the WiFi). Go to one of the many local coffee places and get the same breakfast at 1/4 of the price and he WiFi free. The gym is nice to have but the pool is tiny and the kids make it tricky to swim lengths. So good hotel but a few niggles. Westin WiFi is not not a luxury anymore!

Room Tip: If booking a Tower Superior ask to get as high as possible and a clock tower view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,322)

Reviewed October 16, 2012

This was my very first stay at the Westin in Sydney. Great location on Martin Place, friendly staff , quick check-in. Having stayed many times at the Sheraton on The Park - I was somewhat surprised to find out that the room at the Westin was TINY !!! .. what one finds in London or Europe but not in Australia. It was a "Superior" room but hardly any room to move with two people sharing. Lucky, only one night . When I attempted to book it first time it was quoting $420. A week or so later it was $314. I would have been livid if it were above $400 ; even $314 was a lot . Breakfast was good !!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My hubbie and I recently returned from a four night stay at The Westin Sydney. After reviewing numerous surrounding hotels we chose this one and we were'nt disappointed. From the momement we arrived at the kerb to out last day we felt relaxed and welcome.
Checkin was fast efficient and friendly exactly what you want after a 5hr flight from Perth and another 35mins stuck in Sydney traffic. The room was to die for spacious and inviting the bathroom was wonderful with the big deep soaking tub, very relaxing when soaking in bubbles with a glass of bubbles watching the TV!! At night the room was lovely and quite with no noise from neighbouring rooms as you would expect in most hotels. We decided to have our breakfasts included and each morning feasted an amazing smorgasboard of delicacies. You had the choice of being as indulgent as you wanted or as good with an excellent array to suit all palettes. The service from the wait staff was exemplary and they always had a smile on there face. The location of the hotel was excellent right in the centre of the CBD and a 3 minute walk to the train station. My only criticism would be the pool was shut the day after we arrived until after we left, I beleive there was a problem with it. I do understand these issues do arise from time to time, but a comp for people staying of say drink voucher for the bar or one nights free pay per view movie would go along way to making people feel that little bit more special. In saying that I cant let it detract from the wonderful time we both had and we cant wait to go back again!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I usually don't like to write a negative review as I believe everyone can have a bad day but 2 horrible room service experiences over two consecutive days? In a 5 star hotel? in fact one of the premier hotels in Sydney? I don't get it!

I paid $36 for a Burger ($28 burger + $8 delivery) and the standard of room service was average to say the least, the Burger I had was dry and tasteless and on the second night the Risotto $52 ($44 + $8 delivery) was like tasteless watery hard rice and the presentation was lacking as well as the forgotten order of ICE. When I paid $36 for the burger I was expecting the best burger I had ever had in my life! ;(

I did give them feedback but there was no offer of refund and a very weak email saying they had informed the kitchen! I was not going to write this review, but after the response.....

In the hotel's defence they did ask why I said nothing at the time of the order but waited after checkout.

Well, I don't know about you, the experienced traveling public, but I never, ever complain to any kitchen nor do I ever send anything back to a kitchen.......

I will however say that the rest of the staff were exceptional, especially at check in as was the ‘am/night’ operator service.

The room was beautiful and the rest of my experience was charmingly memorable. So a very nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new section above Level 10 as the rooms in the Old Post Office are very tired...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at The Westin for 4 nights and did not have anything to fault. The concierge helped us make some dinner reservations (somehow they got us a last min reservation at the Quay!), staff ran out to the streets to get us a cab, nice big umbrellas were offered to us when it rained, the hotel bmw took us to the airport which cost just as much as a normal taxi - it was quite difficult to get a taxi as it was the day after mardi gras.

The rooms are clean and well stocked. Our room looked into Martin Place, had lovely high ceilings which made it feel even bigger than it already was, and a luxurious bed. The location was perfect, next to the main shopping area and still walking distance to the Rocks. A bonus to be so close to the club, Ivy for those late nights. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Very good! The room we stayed in was very large and roomy. It had two double beds covered in pillows - five I think, and all different sizes: and a very cosy doona. I spent two very comfortable nights. It is a smoke-free hotel. We had a wonderful view of the GPO Clock which was lit up at night. It was incredibly powerful and beautiful. The chimes were not loud enough to bother us at all.

Not so good! Minor problem was the bathroom which was divided into a shower and a separate toilet with opaque doors and a very large bath with a window into the bedroom. I didn't like that at all but I do understand that some people might love it. Also, the basin had quite a large crack in it and the cold tap had a tendency to fall off. There was no form to fill in about housekeeping or maintenance, and I quite forgot to tell them about the bathroom problem.

Room Tip: If you want to watch each other bathe go for the room we had. But if like me you prefer to keep sle...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My partner and stay in Sydney regularly and occasionally shop our business around Sydney's other 5 star offerings, but the Westin never fails to impress! Great clean rooms, professional service, nothing is a worry! Highly recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple