“Amazing Views”

The Sydney Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #66 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed June 7, 2014

When in Sydney I stay at the Sydney Boulevard in William Street. A short stroll down the hill from Hyde Park the Hotel is on the corner of the restaurant rich Crown Street which leads to the famous Oxford Street. As a regular business traveller the staff go out of their way to look after me to the point where I stay in the say room everytime I am there with my preferred pillow waiting on the bed! A continental breakfast is included in a $210 a night tariff for an Emerald room on an upper level which affords amazing views over the Harbour, the Bridge and the Opera house; The rooms are spacious and comfortable with free WiFi. It might not be as flashy as the high end of town but it is great value for money in expensive Sydney.

Room Tip: Harbour views are spectacular bur rooms with city views are cheaper.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Poss2013
There are newer reviews for The Sydney Boulevard Hotel

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Admittedly not quite as luxurious a place to stay as the pictures may cleverly indicate, but decent. Keeping in mind many people including me have sometimes unrealistic expectations of what you'll get for your budget these days, I would still call it a solid 3.5 to 4 star. Apart from 1 offputting staff member whom we rang ahead to inform of our late arrival on first night, staff were good. For some reason signs indicate it was once called the Bayview or Bayview Boulevard Sydney but we forgot to ask staff why. We stayed here for 4 nights having, unusually, booked ahead as we could see how busy Sydney was going to be during Vivid [I think it’s still on until 9th of June, involving lights & video projected onto certain buildings & music acts as well, they also mention ‘ideas’ but I don’t really know how that translates into reality]. Anyhow it was a good hotel, we’d been held up extra hours on Saturday night on top of a really long driving trip from Brisbane due to an accident & when Ormando checked us in he was welcoming & pleasant. We were in an Emerald Executive floor & initially we weren’t overly thrilled with our room, particularly the bathroom having a shower over bath with not the most modern looking curtain attached [did have a separate shower but tiny in the corner]. The room itself looked a bit more tattered than the pictures make out also, & I think I heard a couple next door being let’s say very loving with each other at around 1:30 am, as the walls were a little thin through the connecting door [locked thank God]. Staff were gracious about moving us to another room the next day which was much better & less worn, less marks on the wall etc, although the bathroom had a similar fitout it was set out better & had better use of space. The view which I hope shows in the pictures, was also really good [this was room 2101, harbour view side]. I know you're not right upon the harbour or seeing much water but you can see the bridge & back of the opera house. Our room had a small empty mini bar type fridge that kept our soft drinks & water really cold.

Forgot to mention I freaked out while in CBD & thought I'd lost my purse, I rang hotel's reception & they were good enough to check this for me & let me know I hadn't.

If you care about bathrooms be sure to check what yours will be like ahead of time. I heard that if you don’t remember to close the bathroom door while showering & steam sets off the fire alarm, you will be fined so remember to shut yourself in properly & enjoy your own steam room !Location was not particularly centrally located to anything major but was only a few minutes walk away from the botanical gardens & didn’t seem too far away from King’s Cross. We saw several airline staff in their uniforms staying which is probably because they’re about 20 minutes drive away from the airport. There’s a basic gym unfortunately not on the harbour view side which supplied water & towels, & had a steam room & sauna attached, I wish I’d had an excuse not to exercise but oh well, still did less than what I would have at home :) No pool.

Try not to be idiotic like me & remember that breakfast is on first floor in their café & Not on the 25th floor in their restaurant area. I tried hungrily moving up to the restaurant via their lift [wouldn’t let me] & their stairwell [almost locked myself in with no-one around] before another guest told me pityingly it was Level 1, not sure of cost as it was already included in our bill. Hash browns tasted unusual to me & scrambled eggs were sometimes watery & separated, sometimes great [different chef on different days?], generally breakfast was decent, not great & not terrible. There’s an express fancy’ish Woolworths across the street open til midnight every night I believe, & across the other side of the street & slightly down from a pub that you’ll see, there was a good Indian place that provided takeaway at reasonable prices. TV was small & sound-limited, & sometimes the picture would disappear after a while, so I wouldn’t necessarily watching a paid movie on it. Bed was fairly low & slightly saggy but couldn’t have been too bad as we both slept pretty comfortably in it. Also the rooms were well fitted out with curtains [with Velcro] to block out the light really well. We had internet included which was really handy, I think that applies to whatever room/plan. Staff were friendly & rooms were clean & comfortable & fairly nicely furnished, overall I would stay again.

Room Tip: Absolutely harbour view side, as high as possible, next to lifts even as our 2nd floor had so much l...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Carebear79
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly uoinncheck in. We went up to the room (your door card accesses the lift which can be a bit hit and miss) once we entered the room (double twin harbour view) we could see Sydney Harbour bridge in the distance and a small peak of the opera house. We had three guests in the room but only enough towels, mugs, glasses etc for two guests, after calling reception they were apologetic and quickly arranged for additional items to be delivered to our room. There were lots of tourist information available at the concierge desk however a hidden jem was passed to us by the receptionist, this was a map of the centre which included bus numbers which proved very helpful. The bus stop into Sydney is across the road to the right, and on the return journey the bus stopped right outside (you need to buy your bus ticket in a 24\7 newsagents). It was cheaper to buy a weekly ticket than a few daily tickets even though we were only there for a few days.

If you haven't got breakfast included there is a small cafe next to the hotel, although if you mask at reception how much breakfast is in the restaurant at the hotel, I was given a discount card that I could use for the three of us. Breakfast was good, buffett style eat as much as you want so it set us up for the entire day.

The hotel restaurants for n evening meal appeared to be closed for some reason

The bathroom could do with a makeover as a little dated and erm let's say well used.

TV channels were a bit lacking.

Booked via Cheaptickets.com and got it cheaaper than going direct, if you sign up to cheaptickets mailling list list they send discount codes regularly to receive more discount.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Emma T
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Sydney Boulevard Hotel we booked the Standard Harbour side Twin which had the best views of Sydney harbour bridge and nearby parks. Hotel was a short walk through the nearby park and there was a Woolworths supermarket on the corner next to the hotel so we were able to buy items and take them up to our hotel room. We did take up the offer of a buffet breakfast for the complementary price....this was superb and had many choices.
The gym was relatively small and i didn't see a swimming pool nor a spa but then i didn't ask about them as i wasn't in the hotel room often...was too busy sightseeing
Will stay here again if i return to Sydney

Room Tip: Standard Harbourside Twin best views of Sydney harbour bridge and parks
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel had good reviews on most sites but the room was disappointing.. It smelt bad when we came in, the shower was old and mouldy, the kettle was dirty and rusty and when we asked for a replacement they didn't have any cleaner ones! The bed was comfy, the bedding clean and soft, staff were friendly, room was clean.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nanania01
Reviewed May 20, 2014

the room was small to what appears in pictures. bathroom was spacious and gud though. not even microwave is a big bummer and to pay 25$ parking per day for parking in the basement of the hotel was a big bummer. definitely not a value for money. my room was upgraded to harbour view but even i didnt that as a very good view, also the distant harbour didn't give much view anyway.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nitesh_Bansal
Reviewed May 17, 2014

We booked a harbour view room through hotels.com. Upon arrival, the girl noticed that we had been booked in to a room on the third floor. She said she was concerned that we wouldn't see much harbour from that level, so without any hesitation, she gave us a complementary upgrade to an executive suite on a much higher floor! We were very impressed with this generosity. Our view was FANTASTIC. The room was amazing, so much space. The bed was very comfortable.
On site parking no problem.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple