“Great Location ,Clean large rooms”

The Sydney Boulevard Hotel
Ranked #65 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Stayed here for a night in town with my wife.Easy to find located close to CBD and Surrey Hills.Good rooms ,friendly staff.The keys were a bit annoying,plastic cards that didnt work half the time .Subject to price would stay here again.Was 230 which is fair price for room,but prefer to pay 150-200 normally.Would recommend though

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,087)

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed here when we went to watch Wigan Warriors play Sydney Roosters.
We were quite pleased with the room which was very clean. All the staff were very helpful and pleasant.
The bathroom was the usual big chain affair with the exception of the basin, which was one of these modern ones that sit on top of the shelf, and we both found it too high.
The breakfast eaten in a big room on the first floor, which I thought was also the restaurant.
The breakfast was buffet style, eat as much as you want. There was bacon, eggs, sausages, cereals, fresh fruit, a toaster, a pancake maker and a tea and coffee machine. I groaned when I saw the tea machine but the tea was surprisingly good.
We only ate once in the restaurant. We saw from the menu in the room that the restaurant opened at 4.00pm, so we took the lift down to the first floor to find the room closed. After a few minutes, we went down to reception and were told the the restaurant was just beside the front entrance. We walked to what we had previously thought was a cafe, which was just being opened, by a solitary waiter, We asked for the menu, which was different from the one in the room, and we both ordered steak, and a bottle of chardonnay. The waiter was very attentive-we were the only two people there. He poured our wine and then, as they did not have wine coolers, put the wine in a fridge to keep cool.
Everything went downhill rapidly from here. More customers arrived including people coming in from the street for a drink and a snack. Nothing wrong with this, providing it does not affect people having their meal, but after trying to attract the waiters attention, so that our glasses could be refilled, without success, I had to leave the table, to get some action.
There was a queue at the till and as I got there, a waitress came out of the kitchen, and I asked her if she would get our wine from the fridge, only to be told I would have to wait in line and see the person at the till.By the time I had waited in the queue and got back to the table, my food was cold. I was not very pleased.
Having finished the meal, which was very good, until it went cold, we ordered a sweet. It took so long to come that we had to ask the waiter how long it would be before it arrived, as we were due to go out at 6.00pm, and it was already 5.30.
I would have given this hotel 4 stars, if it was not for this experience in the restaurant.

Room Tip: We were on the 21st floor, facing the SCG, about a mile away. apparently, the higher rooms on the ot...
1  Thank Dave H
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night, prior to our cruise. The rooms were comfy and clean. The hotel was quite modern for the area.
There is concierge service and free WiFi for guests.
Lovely hotel, great staff, nice stay.
However, wouldn't recommend for a long stay only because it's a little out of the way; about 10 min walk from the train station, a 30 minute walk to Darling Harbour and about 40 min walk from circular quay. As taxis are quite expensive ($30 from hotel to circular quay) its great for one or two nights and if you don't mind walking, but this place wouldn't particularly suit a family or the elderly for a long stay.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Great hotel.
about 15 min walk from the front, location is really good for the price.
Kings Cross is round the corner, but you dont need to go anywhere near it if you dont like that sort of thing (strip bars).
Had room service, really fast and a great burger & beer !
Only stayed 2 nights as on our way to NZ.
Saw all the sights Sydney has , WOW what a great city.....we will return and will stay here no problems.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

My husband I stayed here for five nights during the New Year's 2014 festivities. It is a good 1 to 2 kilometer walk to most of the sites, which isn't bad at all, but if you can get closer into the CBD it would be helpful. This hotel already cost us $1715 USD due to the time of year we were there, it would have cost us another $500 to $1000 to get any closer than we were, so we didn't find much value in the additional cost. If we were to go to Sydney again outside of New Year's, then we would definitely try to stay closer to the harbor.

The hotel has major problems with their key card system. There is a very high chance that you will have to go back down to the lobby to get your room key re-done. We had to get our key cards fixed 5-7 times during our stay. There was one time that I had to go to the receptionist area in my wet swim suit and robe because after having left the sauna area at the top floor, my key would no longer work and I could not get back to my room (you need the key to be able to push your floor in the elevator). I never took the key inside the sauna (it stayed in the pocket of the robe and was hanging just outside the sauna). The process of having to go back downstairs was extremely annoying. The front desk completely acknowledged the problem with the key system.

The sauna/steam room/bathroom/changing area definitely needs some cleaning. It is not what you would expect at all from a 4-star hotel. I didn't go into the steam room because I felt it was not hygienic. The sauna was not as bad, so I did attempt that.

The front desk personnel were friendly, though there seemed to be a mix-up with the employees at the concierge. Through the concierge, I scheduled a taxi to pick us up for our flight out of Sydney a day in advance. After a morning/early afternoon of site seeing, we arrived back at the hotel 45 minutes before our scheduled taxi pick-up. We were told at the concierge on site that we should schedule a flat rate taxi for something like $50 AUD because it will be cheaper than the meter taxi that the previous concierge employee had scheduled for us. He guaranteed me that it would be cheaper, so I told him that the concierge team needs to have a meeting to discuss how they deal with these types of issues. Getting different opinions from two different employees is not comforting.

Please note that the 25th floor restaurant that is shown on their website is permanently closed and has been since the summer of 2013.

All in all, the hotel did the trick and we were able to get around Sydney CBD and the surrounding area during an extremely peak period without having to take public transportation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2014

What i really liked about hotel Sydney boulevard is the location and the free wifi they provide. Its proximity to the good night clubs and George Street (nice shopping street), Kings Street (shopping street), Hyde Park (a beautiful garden), Westfeild mall where all the nice shopping is.
Its a walk of 15-20 mins from good shopping, nice eating places, clubs and bars.

Room Tip: There are no free shuttles provided by the hotels. Rooms with higher floor have better views.
1  Thank pritipase
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is a nice hotel with generally good rates available for the location.

The service: My brief encounters were faultless.
The room: Good size with a great view despite not facing the harbour.
The location: Good in relation to city attractions, but a solid 8-10min walk from the nearest train station (bus stops are nearer).
Other: The wifi is pretty poor quality and kept cutting out (tested on two different devices). There is an option for better service if you pay extra. This seems a rather cynical, outdated policy and not what you’d expect from a hotel that claims to be four star. This policy needs to be reviewed to be brought in line with comparable hotels.

If not for the location and wifi issues, an easy four stars. This was a short stay so I didn't sample the restaurant/bar/fitness facilities.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo