“Brilliant location, adequate hotel”

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Ranked #16 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Perth
“Brilliant location, adequate hotel”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Loved the location of the hotel and the hotel itself was quite nice. Love the water feature of being able to see through the clear floor down to the water below after you enter the lobby. The rooms with features of the old wood are interesting. Our room was lovely. Found some of the bar and restaurant service to be somewhat lacking in terms of efficiency and friendliness. Lovely to sit out on the pier with a drink, taking in the view and watching the water traffic go by - makes this hotel stand out. Walking distance to heaps of attractions.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
SebelPierOne, General Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 1, 2010
I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay at The Sebel Pier One Sydney. Many of our guests are drawn to the hotel by its uniqueness as you were. The Sebel Pier One Sydney is one of few absolute waterside hotels offering unique federation-style Sydney accommodation which blends heritage with contemporary chic.

Our waterfront location is certainly the ideal launching pad for international guest such as you, to explore some of Sydney’s most famous landmarks and vibrant locations.

Thank you for you for taking the time to comment on your experience at The Sebel Pier One Sydney. We look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Sydney.

Ralf Bruegger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Mumbai
Reviewed June 22, 2010

This was a Business trip for 3 weeks. At the first sight I was not very impressed by the Hotel. The booking was easy as I could book by calling the Hotel and confirming the booking on email. The check in was quick and Hotel staff was very courteous and hospitable. When i entered my room it was more luxurious than I expected. The bed was very comfortable and it was easy to sink in and fall asleep immediately.

The Hotel is right under teh SYdney Harbour Bridge and along the Sydney Harbour. It overlooks the harbour and a few rooms also give the view of the Sydney Opera Theatre. Its a beautiful sight to have right outside your room. Especially on weekends, the harbour is full of boats and sails which are a delight to watch. Sydney Opera is a 7 min walk from the Hotel and the walk on the promenade along the harbour itself is beautiful. Many tourist attractions such as The Rocks, The Royal Botanic Gardens, George Street, Pitt Street, Elizabeth Street, etc. At the Sydney opera is the Circular Quai Station and Harbour which makes all your travel easy since you have many options of Boats and trains to all parts of NSW and out of NSW.

The Hotel has buffet breakfast which is a wide spread of Continental and English dishes. One can have a heavy breakfast at the hotel and venture out the whole day. The Hotel has Laundry Service which is very efficient, Room Service which is also very efficient. The Room service and restaurant menu have limited choices. But whatever is on the menu is great and the chefs do not mind tweaking their recepies to suit your mood. There are 2 Bar in the Hotel. It attracts good crowd so the evenings can get pretty lively.

The Bahroom is spacious and the Hotel staff keeps it clean and tidy. The rooms have minibar which have really good beer and wine in the room along with a very tasty selection of snacks.

Overall, its a pleasure to stay at this Hotel. It will be a really romantic place to stay.

Highly Recommended.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at The Sebel Pier One Sydney. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Kindest regards
cairns
Reviewed June 1, 2010

This hotel has a great location. The rooms are really nice and comfortable, whilst not overly modern, they are neat, clean and exactly what we needed for our weekend away. The toilets are not as bad as i expected, yes they are loud, but next door never woke me with theirs!!!
The breakfast was yummy, great variety. The bar was nice, however I was little dissapointed that they had run out of a few ingredients on a Sunday everning (which i found strange as they have a restaurant on site????) so I could not have a couple of the cocktails that were on their list. The concierge team were ok, they always seeemd to be too busy, and we had to wait for them, and they were then very short with their answers etc. (except when it came to explaining about tours,were clearly there was an incentive for them to spend some time with us)

All in all a nice well located hotel. Only a short walk to majority of the touristy things.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Your feedback has been shared with my Restaurant Manager for his follow up and response.

Kindest regards
Bedfordshire
Reviewed May 16, 2010

Spent 3 lovely nights getting over our jet lag at the Sebel. The staff were very helpful and polite. Nice room with a view of the bridge, lovely historic feel to the building. We loved the walk along the waterfront to Circular Quay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
SebelPierOne, General Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 31, 2010
Dear SBS_Ferrets,

I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay at The Sebel Pier One Sydney.

The hotel’s location is spectacular and I am pleased that the facilities and level of service you experienced at our hotel made your stay truly special.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you next time you visit Sydney.

Sydney
Reviewed May 16, 2010

The Sebel Pier 1 has been my number one selection for the last couple of year, both for when I have had business trips and on the occasion where a sydney stopover was part of a holiday. The first few times were good, the rooms are spacious and the location is great - I guess I didn't really need much as I was only ever there for a night and not much of it.

A couple of visits back I revieved the Sebel's feedback email and I notified them that I had found quite alot of hair in the bathroom when I arrived, other than that everything was fine. The next time I visited, the room again had hairs in the bathroom (don't they vacume??) and found that when I went to jump into the big comfy bed, they had stopped putting two sheets on the beds and reverted to just having one sheet and the doona. When I phoned reception to check - the person told me they had stopped putting two on because it meant they had to launder two sheets and a doona cover, now they could save on 1 sheet! I made sure I filled out the feedback card in the room so they knew how I felt.
The last time I checked in - again hairs in the bathroom. Normally when we stay we have to leave very early in the morning, but this time when the man at front desk asked me if we were leaving early, we happily replied that for once we didn't, it was our anniversary and we were going to enjoy our first sleep-in in years! Little did we know! We went out for dinner and returned late, hopping into bed (our single sheeted one) at about 1am, knowing that we could sleep until it was time to go. We were woken up at 7.30 am by drilling either above us or next door to us! At first we tried to ignore it, thinking this really couldn't be happening. and by 8.30 my husband got up andphoned reception to check when they thought the drilling would stop. He was told they would find out. 1/2 hour later we phoned again because we hadn't heard anything. Apparently it was outside contractors working on the roof and they couldn't control it. Now really, if the hotel has contractors working on the roof they would know about it and a professional hotel would communicate that to its reservations manager so they could ensure they don't put anyone underneath it. Even more so, I would expect it would be clearly communicated to front office staff so they would be aware of the disturbence. If it had have been communicated - then when we told the man checking us in that we were sleeping in - he could have moved us.

Sorry Sebel, this may seem harsh - but I ignored the hairs i the bathrooms on numerous occasions, even dealt with having only 1 sheet, but when you mess with someones sleep, especially when they don't usually get much - its going too far.

I did tell the girl at reception that we were not happy and her response was I should fill out a feedback card - but clearly the other times when i have filled out their cards nothing has happened so why should I bother again. I asked her to pass it onto her GM, however I doubt it was passed on. Why is it that big hotels think that feedback forms are the be all and end all - they don't seem to be utilised to help guests and what happend to good old verbal feedback being communicated. I will be staying elsewhere from now on.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
SebelPierOne, General Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 2, 2010
Dear TillyandOscar

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at The Sebel Pier One Sydney. I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

At The Sebel Pier One Sydney, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. Your feedback has been shared with my Executive Housekeeper and Rooms Division Manager for their follow up and response.

It is regretful that your experience of The Sebel Pier One Sydney failed to meet your expectations. We hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem your confidence in our hotel at some stage in the future.

Brisbane
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Bit further out from where I had to be, however right on Sydney Harbour. Efficient check in, friendly bar staff. Interesting lobby. Rooms were interesting, with exposed beams running through the walls. Good food

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Dear 101Teacher,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at The Sebel Pier One.

Many of our guests are drawn to the hotel by its unique design and features. The Sebel Pier One Sydney is one of few absolute waterside hotels offering federation-style Sydney accommodation which blends heritage with contemporary chic.

Thank you for you for taking the time to comment on your experience at The Sebel Pier One Sydney. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 10, 2010

Unparalleled location right next to Harbour Bridge and Opera, stunning foyer, great breakfast, decent rooms. So much for the Brownie points. But then there's the wild mood swings of the showers (switching from "Freeze!" to "Burn!" in a split second), the average desk service and that overall feeling that the Pier One seems to rest on his laurels. Recommended with some reservations (no pun intended!).

Stayed November 2009
Dear BjoernAhrens,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Sebel Pier One Sydney. We appreciate all the feedback we receive, positive or negative, as it helps us not only to maintain but improve upon the standard of service we provide.

I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you mentioned and prevent future occurrence.

In addition I can confirm that we are in the process of finalising the details of our hotel refurbishment which is scheduled to begin in the coming months. During this process all our guestrooms will undergo a complete transformation, improving the overall quality of our facilities and services.