“Great Location - Great Price”

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection
Ranked #22 of 177 Hotels in Sydney
San Antonio, Texas
“Great Location - Great Price”
Reviewed April 24, 2010

Spent 8 days at hotel -- location and price cannot be beat for hotel in Rocks area and close to everything. Hotel is very nice (old wharehouse on pier/converted) so has that old charm one expects for being in the Rocks area. We got a great deal on the price of the room ($100 US cheaper than others in the area) and the breakfast buffet (approx $22 US) has a fantastic selection. The staff goes out of their way to take care of you -- if you are expecting the Marriott or Shangri La experience then do not stay here -- you will be disaapointed as it is an older hotel. However, the rooms are very nice and have everythign you desire. One downside is the gym is very old and has really old stuff -- however if you walk the city you will get many opportunities to work out. We would most definitely stay here again -- the location, price and staff amke this an awesome selection.

Comment: Recommend you buy the week pass for travel on boat, train and bus....better than the daily rate. Also took the train to Blue Mountain and saved over $100/pp by doing so rather than paying for a tour. The Hunter valley wine tour was good -- if you want to see Boutique Wineries. Also recommend the Paragon, Three Wise Monkies and Lord Nelson as great places to lift a Pint and take in some local flavor. All in all a super trip.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
SebelPierOne, General Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 13, 2010
Dear FoxTraveller

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Sebel Pier One Sydney.

The hotel is certainly the perfect location from which to explore all that is Sydney and I am pleased that our facilities and level of service exceeded your expectations. I will share your comments with my team as all feedback will help us not only to maintain, but improve upon the standard of service we provide.

We look forward to seeing you again at The Sebel Pier One Sydney.

The Sebel Pier One Sydney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chester
Reviewed April 14, 2010

My Partner and I had booked our dream holiday to Australia stopping in Singapore on the way. We stayed at the Fairmont in Singapore which is 4 star. It was fantastic and set my expectations.

I had read the reviews of Pier One and Trail Finders in the UK booked this for me. We arrived at the hotel after a 9 hour flight from Singapore. The room we were given was dank, dirty.......my tummy is turing thinking about it.

Firstly there was a burnt orange armchair with a calico cover (Ikea like) which had large stains on it. It was disgusting. The dark blue carpet was stained and dank looking. My first thought was how will I put my bare feet down on this. The furniture was old and damaged. The glass tops were filthy. The towels in the bathroom were frayed and torn. The air vent in the bathroom also had inches of old dust and hairs hanging from it.

I immediately asked to change rooms. The duty manager showed me another room that was frankly worse. I called trailfinders in the UK to see if they could help me out. In the end I had to stay in the first room. Now for the next shock.............the bedding was damp.

The following morning I spoke to Ben the duty manager. I brought a torn towel with me as evidence. Ben was to say the least a bit ignorant. He told that they had identified that the hotel needed a refurbishment. While I agreed that was out of his control I stated that the cleaning was easily within his remit. The hotel is apparently a Hertiage building built in 1865. Fantastic I told him, come to Europe and we can show you to do old and clean. The common areas are tatty and unclean too.

I was moved to another room which Ben oversaw the cleaning of. It was cleaner alright but the rust on the venetian blinds, toilet roll holder and shower pole made it difficult to enjoy a shower (and yes it was a curtain).

This was the most expensive hotel i stayed in on my holiday. Please do not stay here until they have done the refurbishment they have identified! Identified it was blantantly obvious. This ruined my stay in Sydney and both my patner & I felt dirty whilst there.

We need the Bonza Bike tour (absolutely fantastic) and they told us that the hotel had been flooded a couple of weeks before we arrived. Now I understood by the bedding felt dank.

It was a very bad expensive experience. This is not 4 and half stars. It was like a very old dirty outdated Travel Lodge (forgive Travel lodge). I will refrain from starting on the breakfast. I paid in total £13,000 sterling for my holiday so you can see I was not scrimping.

So Sebel Pier One. I hope you are ashamed of yourselves. Maybe the Sebel chain should employ managers who are up the job and ensure that standards are kept to worldwide standards. This place is only for Australian business people that have been set a nightly limit by their companies. It is not for a seasoned traveller.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LuciaChester
SebelPierOne, General Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 18, 2010
Dear LuciaChester

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at The Sebel Pier One Sydney. I am disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations.

At The Sebel Pier One Sydney, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. Your feedback has been shared with my Executive Housekeeper for her follow up and response.

In relation to feedback you received from Bonza Bikes on the flooding of the hotel, this was due to the breakdown of the hotel vacuum system. My Maintenance Manager was shocked when he discovered the cause to be items of clothing people had elected to flush away. Whilst the challenge was out of our control please be assured we are investigating solutions to prevent a repeat occurrence.

In addition I can confirm that we are in the process of finalising the details of our hotel refurbishment which is scheduled to begin in the coming months. During this process all our guestrooms will undergo a complete transformation, improving the overall quality of our facilities and services.

It is regretful that your first impression of The Sebel Pier One Sydney failed to meet your expectations. We hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem your confidence in our hotel at some stage in the future.

UK
Reviewed April 6, 2010

The Sebel is located right under / next to the Harbour Bridge so in terms of its location in relation to the main tourist attactions Id give it 10/10.

The hotel is very pretty and it is nice having a glass of wine at the outdoor seating area and watching the sun go down.

The rooms are nice. Definately not the best I have ever been in but still ok. Fairly modern and light and a decent size bathroom. Based on the price of the room (I had a queen waterfront) I would have expected the size of the room to be bigger. There isnt really anywhere to store your suitcases so they end up taking quite a lot of floor space.

The sebel is overall a great price considering the location. My only criticisms are that they dont give you any complmentary water in your room, internet is expensive, room service portions are small and breakfast is expensive. If you are only using the room as a base, dont worry about it and get it booked.

This place and the Hyatt are the best placed if you you want to make like a tourist for a few days!

The open top explorer bus stops right outside the hotel which is really handy if you want a day trip to Bondi. I would also really recconmend taking the Ferry to Manly beach. The ferry trip is really relaxing and many is a nice place too with lots of nice bars and restaurants.

Dont go on a bus trip to the hunter valley - its a good 2 - 3 hours away. If your going to go I reccomend hiring a car (with a sat nav) and driving there and stopping overnight.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
SebelPierOne, General Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 7, 2010
Dear FrequentTravellerUK1

Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay at The Sebel Pier One Sydney.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to explore Sydney and other popular NSW regional areas and attractions. The Sebel Pier One Sydney’s location is certainly the ideal for leisure travellers.

I am also please that you were able to experience a range of our hotel services including our Front Restaurant & Bar. We pride ourselves on our customer service and are consistently working towards exceeding the needs of our guests.

We are currently in the process of finalising the details of our guestroom refurbishment which is scheduled to be completed late 2010.

We hope to see you again at The Sebel Pier One Sydney.

UK
Reviewed March 17, 2010

Stayed for 5 nights in February and can highly recommend. The hotel is just on the far side of the Rocks and right beside the Harbour Bridge. Half the rooms face out and look onto the harbour. Location is great as it is just a 5 minute walk to the rocks and a very short 2 minute stroll to look over to the Opera House. If you have any worries about the location, then don't as it is vet close to the Rocks. Room was very clean, tidy, plush and with all the amenities. Air con was quiet. Staff were very friendly and polite. Restaurant and bar were reasonably priced and you could get bar meals as well as eat in the restaurant. Breakfasts were brilliant and probably the best I have seen in any hotel anywhere in the world. The selection was massive and even had things like fresh passion fruit and Yakult drinks. Restaurant and bar over looked the harbour and you could sit right on the pier front, which was very relaxing way to watch the sun go down.

In another review someone mentioned that the toilets were noisy!! They completely forgot to mention that the toilets environmentally friendly are a designed to use something like half the water of a normal toilet. The noise lasts for about 2 seconds and then are totally silent, unlike a normal toilet that makes a noise for a few minutes as it is refilling. This hotel is very quiet and you can hear absolutely no noise from the bridge even when sitting outside on the pier.

Really could not recommend enough. I would go back like a flash. One thing we did find is that it was cheaper to book directly through the hotel than though agents. Pricing wise compared to other hotels I would say it was very good value.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear WoodyBris

I am pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including the hotel’s quality food and beverage and unique location.

Our absolute waterfront location is truly magnificent and the ideal launching pad to explore all that is Sydney, including Circular Quay, The Rocks and The Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Yes you are correct, when booking online via The Sebel Pier One Sydney you can always guarantee you are receiving the best available rate.

Thank you for you for taking the time to comment on your experience and we hope you will have the opportunity to stay again at The Sebel Pier One Sydney.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 14, 2010

We booked the Valentine's day package and found it fantastic value for money. The included five course dinner in the Front Restaurant was a great experience. The dinner included matching Australian wines (commended on not using Kiwi ones). Our table had good views over the harbour. Both restaurant and hotel staff were very friendly and competent. Loved the heritage listed building and the fantastic location. Our room service breakfast was also good and finished off a great night out.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johndborg
Dear Johndborg

Our location is certainly spectacular and I am pleased that the facilities and level of service you experienced at our hotel made your Valentine’s Day celebrations truly special.

We will have similar packages available for Valentine’s Day 2011. Please check our website early next year or contact the hotel directly for further information.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Adelaide
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Just returned home (Adelaide) after spending 4 nights at the Sebel Pier One and have already been telling our friends about how good this place is.
We booked through lastminute.com and got a fantastic room rate for a hotel in this location. Having stayed in Sydney on a few previous occasions (but in different hotels/apartments) I was well aware of how handy the location of this hotel would be to access areas like Circular Quay, The Rocks, CBD and Darling Harbour to name a few. Literally 50metres from the front door of the hotel and you are standing at the waters edge looking at the magnificent Sydney Harbour and Opera House, not to mention looking up and seeing one of the great icons of Australia, the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Being within casual strolling distance of the ferries,trains and buses at Circular Quay is a huge bonus if you don't want to be driving a car around Sydney. All are within 5 minutes walking time (10 minutes if you chill out and enjoy the sights and sounds at a slower pace) from the hotel. This short walk is a great way to start and finish your day of sightseeing, no matter what time of the day or night it might be. You have probably guessed by now we were impressed by the location!
The hotel and its facilities provide excellent value for money and is one we found more enjoyable to stay in than some of the much more expensive and 'stuffy' 5 star hotels around. Whilst the rooms are not large they are very well appointed, comfortable, and above all, clean. We spent most of our days enjoying the sights of Sydney and only needed the room to sleep and recharge before heading out to do it all again. Why stay in your room when you can sit out on the pier and relax and take in the views?
We found all staff members to be friendly, courteous and helpful (with no exceptions). If you offer a smile and a friendly greeting it's amazing what responses you get when dealing with people! Some travellers should try it - it's not that hard to do.
The breakfast deal at the hotel is an absolute bargain! We had the full breakfast each day and that provided our fuel to get us through most of the day. If you don't want to eat at the hotel there are plenty of eating places in the Quay and Rocks areas or at a couple of the local pubs within a short stroll. Watch out for the rabbits under the bridge on your way to the Harbour View Hotel, and the bats flying overhead at dusk (yes really!).
All in all, GREAT holiday, GREAT location.
We'll be back, no doubt about that!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adelaidejandj
Wheelers Hill, Melbourne
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We've just returned from a 3 night stay at Sebel Pier One and what a pleasure it was to stay there. We were in one of their more basic rooms as part of a package, but it was spacious, clean with all the 4-41/2 star trappings. The view from our room was about as close as you can get to the harbour bridge and also a glimpse of Walsh Bay. The room was very quiet and the bed comfortable, which is a bonus for someone like me who is a light sleeper. A bath/shower are part of a spacious bathroom.

The hotel, which is part of a restored building, is built on one of the old piers, so you are over the water. You can see the water through the glass floor section in the lounge area downstairs. When we arrived we sat out in the outside cafe area with a coffee and watched the water traffic go by. We also had one meal in their restaurant which we thoroughly enjoyed.

The hotel is in a great location behind The Rocks and within walking distance of Circular Quay and The Rocks restaurants and market, if you're there on the weekend.

We will return here on our next trip to Sydney.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
SebelPierOne, General Manager at Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 15, 2010
Dear KarC10

Thank your for your comments regarding your stay at The Sebel Pier One Sydney.

I am please you enjoyed your stay. Many of our guests are drawn to the hotel by its uniqueness and spectacular location. The Sebel Pier One Sydney is one of few absolute waterside hotels offering unique federation-style Sydney accommodation ’on and over’ the water.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again at The Sebel Pier One Sydney.