“Great hotel, awful room service”

The Langham, Sydney
Ranked #8 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I really do enjoy this hotel. The rooms are spacious (ask for Level 3 and get a balcony), and comfortable. Reception staff are generally great. I stay here often.
However, I recomend that you think twice about ordering room service. The menu is now restricted to "comfort food" which the management advise is as a result of "guest preferences". I was served what was easlily the worst burger I have ever (partially) eaten. McDonalds and Burger King products are far superior! I have received an apology, but no explanation, and certainly no refund. They have offered the menu from one of their restaurants, and I have not yet tested their offerings.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank WorldTravellor_7
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Sydney

Reviewed November 9, 2010

My husband and I were looking for a special hotel in which to stay to celebrate our 41st wedding Anniversary. We were more than delighted with our choice. The service was excellent, staff were friendly and accommodating, and our room was spacious, elegantly furnished and clean. Attention to detail was impeccable in every way. We enjoyed the quieter location of the busyness of Sydney with easy and accessible walking in this historical part of Sydney close to The Rocks. Breakfast in the well appointed dining room was yet another experience of luxury to add to our memorable occasion.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foxey2_10
Reviewed October 31, 2010

We stayed in a suite on our wedding weekend, and could not have chosen a better place! From the moment we arrived the staff were extremely helpful and friendly with not even an inkling of stuffiness. It really made it feel like a home away form home. The hotel has amazing amenities and a world class leisure area with a breath taking pool. Amazing location, in the heart of the historic Rocks area, yet discretely tucked away from the hustle and bustle of George St. Even with an available family discount at the Park Hyatt, I would choose the Observatory every time. Ask for Simon, concierge, a pillar of knowledge and humor.

Reviewed October 31, 2010

We have stayed at the Observatory several times and, as always, we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. The concierge team assisted us to plan our stay, as well as various activities in and around Sydney. The food and beverage team in Galileo restaurant made us feel especially welcome - the food was also fabulous! The hotel and the suites are just lovely and the hotel is centrally located.

1  Thank NandMCanberra
Reviewed October 31, 2010

I had enjoyed part of my honeymoon in this hotel. Old hotel with a very luxurious style. A bit expensive in comparison with others around. I upgraded to the sea/ocean view and it was good. Breakfast is great and the staff at the restaurant were excellent. On the other hand they knew it was my honeymoon and nothing additional, as promised, was prepared. The reception lady, at check in, tried to get us to upgrade to suit with additional 200 AUD, the room was more than enough for us. We also had a dinner at the hotel restaurant, which was really expensive....

1  Thank EgyptianJudge
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I have stayed at The Observatory Hotel a number of occasions over the years, consistency is important to me. When you arrive you can be assured that Michael our one of his team will on hand to greet you. Mentioning Michael, he has been there from day one, he's unflappable and can appear to be a little intimidating with his resonant
voice, the care factor across his team though is very high. My children find them highly entertaining.

The rooms are beautiful, my tastes do favour old world charm though (I have stayed in to many generic modern hotels to enjoy them). I particularly like the deep baths.
I love to ensconce myself in The Globe Bar (dry Martini with two olives please). Breakfast is a sumptuous affair and Ernesto is very attentive. The service here in general is second to none, I must also thank the lovely French lass with the melodic sounding name (for the life of me I can't remember it)

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed October 28, 2010

We stayed with our young 3 year old daughter. Although the hotel appears very elegant, and formal upon arrival, we were made to feel very welcome. After check-in we were escorted to our fabulous room (with nespresso coffee machine, sitting area etc). We returned to our room later, and a specially decorated gingerbread man arrived with our daughter's name written in chocolate, her own little person robe and bath toy. The pool area and spa were pure luxury. The location was fantastic for exploring the rocks area within walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family