The Langham, Sydney
Ranked #7 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed May 6, 2010

My partner, cockerspaniel and I stayed at the Observatory Hotel for a mini getaway and everything about the hotel surpassed our expectations. No I didn’t smuggle my cockerspaniel into the hotel in my suitcase, the hotel actually allows animals (dogs to be 20kgs or under) which is amazing for a hotel of its caliber.

The junior suite we stayed in was stunning and the photos on the hotel website don’t seem to do it justice. We were also upgraded from a city view to water view suite when checking in which was a great surprise. Two double glass doors open onto a large balcony which give the room a fantastic airy feel.

The service was outstanding in every way including the valet parking, luggage person, concierge, reception, bar staff and the waiter who delivered our morning coffee. Our dog was a little vocal in the lobby however the hotel staff were very understanding and accommodating.

My partner and I plan to return sometime soon (without the furry friend) to enjoy the pool, spa, restaurant and all other amenities the Observatory Hotel has to offer. We did manage to have a couple of drinks in the Globe Bar while our dog was looked after by a dog-sitter (organized through the hotel) which was an experience to remember – the décor was stunning.

There were little surprises and attention to detail throughout our stay which set the hotel apart from other 5 star hotels I have stayed at. Examples include bottled water, tranquility tea and hot chocolate brought up to the room at night, fancy dog cakes and biscuits for the dog and an abundance of high quality soaps/shampoos etc.

The Hotel is also conveniently located in The Rocks precinct in easy walking distance to the Harbour Bridge and other famous Sydney landmarks. Observatory Park is also a 5 minute stroll which serves as a great place for photos and a picnic.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
gsmSydney, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2010

Thank you so much to the author for such a kind and detailed review of the Observatory Hotel.

As you perfectly mentioned, The Observatory Hotel is "pets friendly" and we do want them to feel at home as much as our guests do. We do place special pet-personal amenities in the room such as luffy bed, litter, water bowl and chewy treats for dogs. Even the Chef prepares a menu especially for them!

I am also thrilled to hear that you received an excellent service from our staff members and I will take great pleasure in passing your feedback on to all concerned.

Once again many thanks and I look forward to welcoming you back sometime soon for another getaway or special occasion.

Kind Regards,

Guest Services Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,884)

Reviewed May 4, 2010

This was our third stay at The Observatory Hotel and once again, it was a sublime experience. The luxuriously appointed rooms and public areas, exquisite dining (including the hotel's justly famous High Teas), the relaxed club-like atmosphere, and most importantly, the wonderful staff, guarantees any stay here will be an absolute joy. The spa and health club, complete with a star-domed indoor pool, further enhanced the experience.
Having stayed at a number of Sydney's premier hotels (all of which have been great experiences), we are of the firm belief that The Observatory is the city's and indeed Australia's finest hotel - a deserved member of the Orient Express group.
RGN, Sydney

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much to the author for the nice review of The Observatory Hotel.

I am very pleased to hear that your third time with us was as "sublime" as the previous ones!
Thank you so much for reviewing all the amenities and facilities the hotel has to offer.

As part of the Orient Express Hotels group, we are making a point of creating and maintaining this special "Signature atmosphere" that is common to all our properties and I am glad you enjoyed it.

Thank you again for taking the time to review The Observatory Hotel and I look forward to welcoming you, for the fourth time, in a non distant future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 4, 2010

pleasantly surprised. staff (and especially concierge) couldnt do enough for us. room was extremely comfortable and location in the Rocks area is excellent for getting around sydney.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
gsmSydney, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2010

Thank you very much to the author of this review for this positive feedback on his stay at The Observatory Hotel.
I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us and that our staff members took good care of you.

We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed May 3, 2010

I can highly recommend the Observatory. The staff were, to a person, wonderful and the property itself was well presented, the rooms spacious, clean and immaculately decorated (I especially liked the print of the voyages of Captain Cook on the wall - I managed to have a great stay and learn something as well.) We had room service which was very tasty, promptly and courteously delivered. The location is nice - equi-distant from the historical Rocks district with the Harbour Bridge and views of the Opera House and King Street Wharf which houses some lively restaurants and the Aquarium (a favorite of our son). The pool area is excellent although being indoors its probably note the best place to take a boisterous 3 year old as evidenced by the looks of some of my fellow guests. I would highly recommend this hotel for someone looking for a hotel with old world charm and service in a convenient location.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business

Thank you to the author for your kind review of The Observatory Hotel.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and also our position in The Rocks, which is, as you mentioned, close to Sydney's "must see" attractions.
I am glad you could enjoy our pool and its famous constellations ceiling and, as a very important guest, your little one was welcome to enjoy the pool too!

Thank you once again for taking the time to review The Observatory Hotel and I do hope that we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 26, 2010

I wish I had written this review earlier when it was all fresher in my mind.

My partner and I stayed for one night, Christmas Night in December 2009.

Firstly, our room was spacious and well laid out. However, this is where the good times stopped. The room was dusty and had not been cleaned properly. I found dust everywhere, yuck! After we had settled in I called concierge to ask if he knew of anything that would be open for dinner (being Christmas night), he informed me he would call me back. He didn't! I called again and asked again and he was fairly uninterested. I went downstairs to the concierge desk and waited, and waited and waited while he spoke to someone else. He finally acknowledged us but again, he was so unfriendly I wished we had just walked on past. We ended up finding a place for dinner on our own.

They also wanted to charge us $35 or $45 for parking our car for one night.

The matress was quite possibly the worst I have ever slept on and the pillow was a thin lump. My partner and I both slept very badly. The decor was very old, but probably appealing to the older traveller who likes forals and worn carpets.

The day we checked out I recieved an email saying we had been charged $19 as a late charge for a minibar item. As we had not had anything from the minibar I immediately called the hotel and queried what the charge was for (the email did not say). Supposedly we had consumed two boxes of pringles! I did not even know the room had pringles. The manager agreed to reverse the charges (which took three days) but seriously, how can you get this wrong? And how can you just go charging someone elses credit card and write a email saying you 'hope that you will not object'! I do, and have never stayed in a five star hotel who make stuff ups like that!

I have enjoyed staying at the top hotels in Sydney and unfortunately The Observatory was a huge let down and is completely outclassed by places such as The Westin and Park Hyatt. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank jrs84
Loxley99, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2010

It is always difficult to follow up, investigate and try to make amends as deemed appropriate, when so much time has lapsed following any incident that has caused a guest disappointment. Obviously by the scoring and commentary of this guest, they were far from satisfied, for which I am most sorry, but sadly 4 months after the event that this experience was posted, I am pleased that there were some redeeming features of their stay but I was sorry that they felt the room was not up to standard - The decor is not hip or trendy, we are a classic hotel - we have very high standards when it comes to comfort and cleanliness, with policies and procedures to ensure this is carried out, I am therefore suprised at this comment and sadly it is not one I am, at this late stage, able to verify. I regret there appears to have been an incorrect charge made in relation to the Mini Bar, which was advised to the guest and immediately removed when it was indicated that it was not correct. Finaly in regards to parking charges, as I have stated before, with the aim of offering guests the opportunity to experience the luxury of our five star hotel, we try to provide the very best of competitive rates, this may mean that it is a 'net' rate, giving the guest the option of any extras that are normally available. Car parking being one of these. It should also be noted that Sydney does have taxes and costs are high for any city center property, hence the charge of $40 that these guests paid for having their car valet parking during their stay. Indicatively the alternative hotels mentioned parking charges, range from $35 to $49, which are in line with most city parking.
I hope that these guests might consider returning, when I am sure they will have a more enjoyable experience, but understand we may not be of the contemporary style they indicate they prefer. I would emphasis that our mantra is to look after our guests, as I hope may be seen from other comments on TripAdvisor and we do our very best to resolve any problems the second they are brought to our attention so that nothing detracts from the experience at the time of the stay ...as sadly one can never turn back the clock.

Patrick Griffin - Managing Director - Orient-Express - Australia.

Reviewed April 20, 2010

Once again, Orient Express has shown me another fabulous hotel in a great location. The service, staff, rooms, restaurant, and other facilities are all top notch. It was my first trip to Sydney and after passing by numerous other hotels, I knew that my experience would have been a let down if I had not been at the Observatory. The location in the Rocks district is perfect to get the feel of Sydney and it's history. It is also a great location to sightsee and be able to come back to luxury to relax. We had one of the best meals in Australia at the reaturant. This is the only place to stay in Sydney!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
gsmSydney, Guest Services Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2010

Thank you so much to the author for the review of The Observatory Hotel.

I am really pleased to read that, as an Orient-Express frequent guest, The Observatory Hotel, only property of the group in Australia, met with your expectations.

I am glad you could enjoy what the hotel has to offer in terms of rooming, dining and its location on the Rocks.

I and the entire team are looking forward to welcoming you back in a non too distant future. Thank you again.

Guest Services Manager.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

Last week I had the to stay at The Observatory Hotel, Sydney. Upon arrival I was greeted by friendly Concierge staff who set the tone for my stay. The courtesy and professionalism continued at reception where I was "welcomed back", upgraded and escorted to my beautiful, immaculately clean room. The Observatory Hotel is rightly famous for its beauty, impeccibly maintained and luxurious ammenities, but my stay was set apart by the staff who are friendly, interested and professional. It is rare to find such a complete package in a 5 star hotel. But The Observatory has it all. Thank you for an amazing room, and above all, thank you to the staff who made my stay so memorable and pleasant. Mr Walsh

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
gsmSydney, Guest Services Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2010

Thank you so much for you kind review.
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff members to be up with some of the best.
I am glad you decided to stay with us again and we all look forward to welcome you back in a non distant future.