“Great Location & Very Helpful Staff”

The Langham, Sydney
Ranked #8 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Stayed here with my 21-year old son for three nights while touring Sydney. The location is perfect. The hotel is located on a very quiet street about a 7-minute walk from the heart of The Rocks (and just up the block from the great Lord Nelson brewpub). So, if you like being really close to the main attractions (the Rocks, Circular Quay, etc.) but not on top of them (for peace and quiet) this is an ideal spot. We had a suite room which gave us plenty of space. The concierges were great guys and very helpful. They gave us solid recommendations for dinner, breakfast and other activities. The pool is also very nice, but indoors which is too bad. My one minor complaint would be the hotel's failure to respond to email questions that I posed prior to our visit. As for other comments regarding construction, we really did not notice nor did we notice that the hotel was rundown in any way. Maybe if my wife had been with us she might have noticed but i doubt it.

Room Tip: The higher the better and the rear rooms face Darling Harbour.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DK1960
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Sydney

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Have booked to stay here in March and based on the experience so far am wishing I was staying somewhere else! My problem is that I'm on a non-refund deal so am stuck with it for a stopover.

The booking process was shambolic, even for a cheap B&B let alone a so called 5 star, I should have run a mile at the point they charged my card twice, but it was too late.

Then I read about the building work complaints from other guests, and asked the hotel whether my room will be affected to which they said 'it is difficult for me to gauge if you will be effected by this'. Huh?

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank snowsfieldsUK
Sonia L, Reservations Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear snowsfieldsUK,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am disheartened to hear that you have had such issues with your booking at The Langham, Sydney. Please be assured we do have very high standards for both customer service and I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not deliver an enchanting guest experience.

I would like to personally follow up with you about your experience and invite you to email me at edward.horman@langhamhotels.com. As I am currently investigating as to why your credit card was charged twice, I require further information to assist with the efficiency of my follow up.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Edward Horman
Reservations Manager

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Quite simply this hotel is well past its prime. Stay somewhere else! The furnishings are shabby, the hall floors are lumpy, the wi-fi service inconsistent. The room lighting poor. And, I can go on. Plus, there is a multi-year construction project being executed in both the front of the hotel and in the rear of the hotel. Behind the hotel, they're constructing the new controversial casino.
I also felt the staff was simply going thru the motions with a smile but with little intent. For example, the concierge couldn't suggest a single restaurant for a late Saturday night dinner. In the dinning room, eggs took over 45 minutes to be made. Room service literally got half my order wrong and the fruit in the salad was still frozen. Absolutely no special niceties -- no mints or chocolates with the turn down service, no luxury soaps and sundries, etc. I think you get the picture. Plus remember the room is over $500+ per night. And to me for that money, the customer deserves better.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are quieter, newer and cleaner.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
10  Thank KidCoconut
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Dear KidCoconut

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney.

I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations during your recent stay.

Please allow me to shed some light and clarification on the exciting developments that are taking place in our vicinity. The works taking place on the Western Harbour side of the hotel relate to the Barangaroo development.The Casino mentioned is under construction to the left of our periphery and is expected to be an architectural marvel upon it’s completion. It’s development will not obscure the hotels current views, in fact the works taking place in our direct field of vision are remedial works that will restore what was a former shipping container terminal to parkland with native vegetation. The end result will allow our guests to not only enjoy sunset western harbour views of Balmain East and Walsh Bay and parkland, but also take advantage of a new jetty allowing access to water taxi’s and harbour cruises boats.

The works at Barangaroo have been underway since 2012 and to date we have received very little in the way of negative feedback in relation to noise.

The works taking place on Kent St are part of a city wide cabling update being undertaken by City of Sydney. Eight major streets are affected throughout the City. The good news is that the works occurring outside of the hotel from 9am to 5pm each day this past week are now complete and the activity has moved away from our immediate vicinity.

Regarding your In-Room Dining experience, I have brought your feedback to the attention of our Director of Food & Beverage, who has begun investigating the break down in communication when delivering your order and has commenced implementing processes to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I do hope that despite this, you may come and experience The Langham, Sydney in the future.

Have a delightful day.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

I had read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor re the hotel being run down and shabby, but honestly? I think it depends on your expectations.
Do not book here if you're after all the latest, swishest decor, shiny floors, sweeping lobbies and swoopy electronic blinds, bells and whistles - it's just not that sort of place.
If you're a fan of old school, Peninsula-style accommodation, you'll feel right at home.
I was originally bringing my mother here for a 'bucket list' (hers) girls trip, but she ended up in hospital, and so I had to come on my own. I emailed the hotel to explain, and also said that although I expected nothing more than my Voyager upgrade, I would really appreciate a 'tidy' room, given some of the reviews. I was blown away to check in at midnight, at the end of the most horrendous, exhausting week of travel, medical dramas, work chaos and more, to find myself upgrade to an enormous suite. Thank you, Langham Sydney, you have made my year - I so needed a break, and I got so much more than I bargained for. I'll definitely be back with my husband and will book this suite (paid) again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank SoozeNZ

Dear SoozeNZ,

It is a delight to read your wonderful feedback!

We do have a very high standard for both customer service and the overall guest experience which I am glad you got to experience during your stay. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team here at The Langham, Sydney that are dedicated to delivering enchanting encounters.

I'm so pleased our staff were able to provide you with some comfort in your time of need. The team here at The Langham, Sydney are looking forward to welcoming you and your husband back in the future!

Reviewed February 20, 2014

The Langham Group has some fine properties, its star being its hotel in London. There is, however, some inconsistencies in its other hotels in different cities. I have yet to figure out is specially distinctive about the group, other than that it tries its best, with mixed results.
Earlier this month, I stayed at the Langham in Sydney. It was refreshingly traditional in look and ambiance compare to the skyscrapers in downtown Sydney. But like the Langham in Mongkok, Hong Kong, the Sydney establishment is located in a tired neighbourhood which has seen better days, although the better days could not have amounted to much. A smart neighbourhood it certainly isn't today and never will be.
Friends had warned me that the location was inconvenient. But that was precisely what I welcomed, the chance to enjoy the clean air and quiet streets while walking to the bustle of the Sydney Harbour friend and that of Darling Harbour. Situated more or less equidistant between the two busy, heavily touristic sites, I found its location ideal. Moreover, there were some good restaurants without easy walking distance, not to mention a charming, elevated park with a splendid view of Sydney Harbour bridge, ideal for a jog inbetween meals.
The concierge service was, incidentally, outstanding. Moreover, wonder of wonders, there were two comfortable armchairs in the room. One thing for travelers to consider : the harbour rooms have the disadvantage of facing a large construction site which generates noise from time to time, especially in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear 5_starhotellover88,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at The Langham, Sydney.

It is a delight to hear that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our Concierge, I am sure they will be pleased to hear they played a part in making your stay a memorable one!

I'm delighted you were able to take advantage of our location; we think our location is quite special and gives our guests a residential experience of Sydney.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sydney!

Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Quality room, quality service, quality food, and great location in the Rocks. We walked every where. Room tastefully decorated and very clean. Comfortable bed. Beautiful indoor pool and sizeable fitness room. Add breakfast to your booking--wonderful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear activenretired,

Thank you for your review. It is wonderful to read your feedback!

At Langham, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests & building great memories. I am delighted that you left with your own special memories. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team here at The Langham, Sydney that are dedicated to exceeding our guests’ expectations.

I’m delighted you were able to take advantage of breakfast in our renowned Galileo restaurant. I will be sure to share your compliments with the rest of our team and Kitchen staff.

Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

In January 2014 we had to make a business trip to Sydney and decided to combine it with some R and R. A 'Linger Longer package' at the Langham hotel in the Rocks district proved to be a wonderful privilege and provided us with both a central location and all the features that facilitate 'rest and refresh'. The room was spacious and tastefully decorated, the indoor pool and day spa facilities are of an exceptionally high standard and Galileo restaurant serves wonderfully creative cuisine with a musician providing soft piano music to compliment the occasion (Friday and Saturdays). Previously called the Observatory, the Langham makes business in Sydney a particular pleasure!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business

Dear Lynn,

Thank you for taking time to review your experience at The Langham, Sydney; it was a delight to read your comments.

At Langham, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests and building great memories. It is wonderful to hear that you leave with your own special memories.

I'm pleased you were able to enjoy our Day Spa, it's a serene sanctuary designed to calm and pamper the mind and body and is definitely a favourite among our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Langham Sydney in the future!