“Not what it used to be.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Sydney

You added The Langham, Sydney to your Saves list
The Langham, Sydney
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   89 - 113 Kent Street, Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia (Formerly The Observatory Hotel )   |
Special Price
Advance Purchase
Ranked #13 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
uk
“Not what it used to be.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at this hotel a few times with work when it was the observatory and loved it. We came back for a weekend visit and I was disappointed. The new management seem to be cutting corners wherever they can which has turned one of my favourite hotels into something mediocre. I believe it's really the little things which make a hotel 5 star and worth paying for. The langham lacks these, for example; the breakfast is now a hot and cold Buffett whereas previously hot food was ordered from the menu. The juices were no longer freshly squeezed. There was no turn down service and the complimentary water wasn't replaced during our stay. The iPod dock didn't work. The toiletries were cheap and not replaced by housekeeping so we ran out of showergel. We ordered a pot of tea on room service. It took nearly an hour to arrive and then they only bought one cup even though we had ordered for 2. No fruit bowl in the room as was always previously provided. no writing paper or envelopes in the room. I used the reception area toilets upon checkout and they were filthy!
This is still a great building with large rooms and bathrooms in a great location but unfortunately all the cost cutting by the management have really let this hotel down and i think it will only continue to go one way without the special '5 star' touches Disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jen1lum
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear jen1lum,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. It was dissappointing to read that your stay fell short. As a company, we pride ourselves on extending the best service and hospitality to our guests and I would personally like to follow up with you on your experience with us.

Can I trouble you to email me at sonia.lefevre@langhamhotels.com or contact the hotel on (02) 9256 2222 so that we can discuss this further.

Sonia Lefevre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
SA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

A special trip for my son (7 yrs) and I was more trying than it had to be due to the rude staff and poorly managed hotel. One button on the phone for 'all services', that is rarely answered. Dated and fading carpet, furniture and amenities. Tiles peeling off the pool and rude check in and day spa staff. Such a shame when it is in such a great location. Hard to believe the room still had a VHS player as its 'entertainment' option. Great area, but next time I'll pay less and go somewhere better.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank jangirl1
Dear jangirl1,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. It was disappointing to read that your stay fell short. As a company, we pride ourselves on extending the best service and hospitality to our guests and I would personally like to follow up with you on your experience with us.

Can I trouble you to email me at sonia.lefevre@langhamhotels.com so that we can discuss this further.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Have stayed in a lot of 5 star hotels, but the Langham has old world charm both in decor and service, well located for The Rocks, Darling Harbour and sightseeing. The staff are excellent nothing is too much for them. Dining is a pleasure and if you want something that is not there they will attempt to get it for you. Surrounding restaurants are very good. All in all my husband and I had a lovely stress free long weekend and will definitely be back.

• 5 of 5 stars
Sonia L, General Manager at The Langham, Sydney, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. We are delighted to read your comments. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team here at The Langham, Sydney that are dedicated to making our guests experiences truly memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back on your next visit to Sydney!

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We especially liked the presentation and decor of your hotel very much. Our room was better than great, didn't like to leave it. We had a most enjoyable meal in the bistro, excellent service and food, a lovely emjoyable meal. We hope to return sooner than later

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney. We were delighted to read your positive comments about your experience with us.

At Langham, we pride ourselves on knowing our guests and building great memories. It is wonderful to hear that you leave with your own special memories.

I will be sure to share your feedback with the rest of the team, they will be pleased to hear they each played a part in making your stay special.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you are going to stay in the Rocks area of Sydney, which in my estimations is one of the best then I could not recommend more than the Langham. From Service to food quality to Spa services, all get high marks.

Concierge were a big help as this was our first trip to Australia and they provided expert assistance for restaurants and the craft show that talks place every weekend in the Rocks.

Although pricey for some, the attention to detail was evident everywhere right down to the honeycomb station at the breakfast table. Nice touch.

Dear Ralph,

I'm delighted you were able to take advantage of our location, we think this our location is quite special and gives our guests a residential experience of Sydney.

I will be sure to pass on your compliments to our Concierge, I am sure they will be pleased to hear they played a part in making your stay a memorable one!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I love the Sydney Langham. If you want to feel spoiled in a very lush kind of way, this is the place. This hotel has a very luxurious old world feel yet has every mod. con. and is maintained very well. If you want an ultra modern and stark hotel experience this is not the place for you. Breakfast at Galileo's downstairs is yet another fabulous experience; I have never seen such a range of food to choose from and the staff are outstanding in their attentiveness. The underground spa and pool with the twinkling lights overhead is so romantic, and if you are trying to woo someone they also have the most beautiful high-teas here. Room service includes a menue for children and pets. The food is delivered beautifully hot. Ordering something as simple as a pizza, still ensures that you are delivered with silverware, napkins garnished with Orchids. What is not to like?

Room Tip: Go for a corner suite or room on the highest floor. No overhead noise, no street level noise and you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank SaffronP
Dear SaffronP,

Thank you for taking time to review your experience at The Langham, Sydney. We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team here at The Langham, Sydney that are dedicated to making our guests experiences truly memorable.

I am so pleased you were able to enjoy the full experience of our Hotel. I will be sure to pass on your feedback our staff in Galileo, Room Service and the Kitchen. I'm sure they will be delighted to hear they each played a role in making your stay so special.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Sydney!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Have stayed at the Langham when it was the observatory hotel and it was delightful. However, I'm sad to say that my most recent experience was far from that. It appears that with the change of management the hotel quality and service have slipped tremendously.

The value for money is poor and the room I was "treated" to resembled an attic. It was small and pokey with very low ceilings and I was disappointed to say the least.

Will not be returning anytime soon which is disappointing as I always regarded the observatory very highly, particularly the spa.

Lift your game Langham!

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank Mark4456
Dear Mark4456,

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review of your recent stay at The Langham, Sydney.

We do have very high standards for both customer service and our overall guest experience and I am disappointed to hear that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. Your review has been shared with the appropriate department managers for their follow up.

I would like to speak with you further regarding the service you received and The Day Spa, if I may ask you to please contact me directly on 8248 5201 or sonia.lefevre@langhamhotels.com